GC: Park:No Start, Neutral: Start

Old December 21st 06, 12:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Chip L

Default GC: Park:No Start, Neutral: Start

'99 GC 4x4 4.0L, 117K.

Had the car about a month. Got a call last night from my daughter
saying the car wouldn't start. The battery was fine (its new), but the
starter would not engage in PARK. I slipped the car into NEUTRAL and
the car started.

Seems to be the switch which controls PARK/NEUTRAL only starter
engagement. Thoughts appreciated on solution (clean, adjust,
replace?).

Thanks
Chip L

Old December 21st 06, 02:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
billy ray

Default Park:No Start, Neutral: Start

Sounds like the neutral Safety switch.

You probably have the 42re transmission in a '99 4 liter and the part is
fairly cheap (<$20)

It is located on the driver's side of the transmission.

http://s112.photobucket.com/albums/n...ansmission.jpg

ups.com...

Old December 21st 06, 03:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

They can go out of adjustment, but if they use a physical linkage, then
I would look close at the engine mounts and tranny mount before
adjusting.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

94 Shadow will not start Bill H Dodge 14 April 4th 06 11:07 PM
Close Call! Stimpy Jeep 87 March 18th 06 04:11 AM
2001 won't start [email protected] Ford Mustang 3 March 11th 06 11:04 PM
1996 740iL won't start, related to the Key Jim Collins BMW 1 December 29th 04 11:41 PM
periodically won't start missjoan Saturn 4 November 1st 04 05:48 PM