Come along, jerk strap, and tire chains

Old January 24th 07, 02:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default Come along, jerk strap, and tire chains

I currently do not have a 4WD but have front wheel
drive car instead. I want to sell the car and get a 2WD
vehicle such as van.

However.... I am a bit concerned abt going back to rear
wheel drive in a van.

I was thinking..... if a person carried a kit of say a
set of easy on/off tire chains, a 12 ft manual come
along, and a 30 ft two inch nylon jerk strap.... would
those three items pretty much get me out of any bad
situations as far as getting stuck in the van?

I figure I could wrap or attach the jerk strap to the
vehicle and attach come along hook to jerk strap
thereby increasing its length. Or wrap jerk strap
around tree and attach come along to ends and then
ratchet my way out of the stuck position.

On the tire chains....anyone have a source for some
VERY easy on/off chains that one could install just
long enough to get vehicle unstuck.... then remove and
throw back in vehicle?
Old January 24th 07, 03:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W. \(Bill\) Hughes III

Try to find something with a real bumper. Sounds like you all ready know
how the Japanese rubber baby bumper works:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...per+snow&hl=en
It's the snatch block (pulley) that doubles pull rate.
God Bless America, Bill 0|||||||0
http://www.billhughes.com/

> wrote in message
> I currently do not have a 4WD but have front wheel
> drive car instead. I want to sell the car and get a 2WD
> vehicle such as van.
>
> However.... I am a bit concerned abt going back to rear
> wheel drive in a van.
>
> I was thinking..... if a person carried a kit of say a
> set of easy on/off tire chains, a 12 ft manual come
> along, and a 30 ft two inch nylon jerk strap.... would
> those three items pretty much get me out of any bad
> situations as far as getting stuck in the van?
>
> I figure I could wrap or attach the jerk strap to the
> vehicle and attach come along hook to jerk strap
> thereby increasing its length. Or wrap jerk strap
> around tree and attach come along to ends and then
> ratchet my way out of the stuck position.
>
> On the tire chains....anyone have a source for some
> VERY easy on/off chains that one could install just
> long enough to get vehicle unstuck.... then remove and
> throw back in vehicle?

---

Old January 24th 07, 03:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Carl[_3_]

The definition of 'bad situation' is in the eye of the beholder. I have been
in places where 33" tires, 4 wheel drive, and a 9,000lb winch was barely
enough to get me out. I have video.

What type of roads do you travel? Highways and city streets? Back roads?
Forest service roads? Logging roads? Long, private dirt/gravel driveways?
4x4 trails? There is a reason we lift and lock our 4x4's with big tires.

I would say so long as you stick on the road you should be fine. A chained
RWD van should go anywhere a FWD car can go w/o chains. Throw a few sand
bags in the rear and you probably won't have any problems.

Sometimes there is nothing to strap to and use your come-along or winch. A
hi-lift can be very versetile but also VERY dangerous if used wrong. They
sell attachments to hi-lift from a wheel instead of putting it under the
frame. It can also double as a come-along. A hi-lift used improperly CAN and
WILL cause FATAL INJURY.

Be VERY careful linking straps and come-alongs together. You are MUCH better
off using D-Shackles instead of hooks. Put the shackle through the loop on
the strap, and the loop where the come-along hook attaches to the
come-along. Attach the pin and screw it in tight. Only use hooks if there is
no other alternative and a speedy recovery is needed for safety reasons.

Also, be sure to carry a long sleeve shirt (tie the sleeves in knots and put
rocks in them) or a heavy coat. Drape the shirt or the coat over the center
of the strap/ come along lines. This helps keep the straps from flying if
they break.

Make no mistake about it. A broken strap CAN and WILL cause FATAL INJURY.

I'm not sure how one would install tire chains while stuck, since most
passenger car tire chains are drive-on. I suppose you could barely jack the
van up and VERY CARFULLY install the chains with the van wheel 1" off the
ground, though I do NOT advise working under a vehicle supported only by a
jack, especially a Hi-lift.

Bear in mind that YOU (the Rigger) are responsible for your safety and the
safety of those around you during a recovery operation. This includes
traffic passing by, anyone who stops to help/gawkers, and animal life.

I can't stress this enough. Self-recovery of your vehicle is not something
to take lightly. It's important to assess the situation for hazards and to
check your rigging very carefully. Improper / careless setup or operation of
self-recovery equipment CAN and WILL caust FATAL INJURY.

Last but not least, always use a nylon strap around a tree. Chains are
second best if no strap is availible. Only use a cable as a last resort, as
this will damage the tree.

Hope this helps,

Carl

Old January 24th 07, 06:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W. \(Bill\) Hughes III

Hi Carl,
Used the D-shackle, maybe at the frame to make a better connection that
may not slice the tow strap, but not between two tow straps:
http://www.billhughes.com/temp/TowStrapBreakshort.mpg
God Bless America, Bill 0|||||||0

. ..

---

Old January 24th 07, 08:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
§qu@r3 Wh33£s

history, L.W. (Bill) Hughes III wrote FROM and THROUGH:

> individual.net

individual.net=individual.de

Institution:

Freie Universität Berlin Zentraleinrichtung für Datenverarbeitung

Address:

ZEDAT
Fabeckstr. 32
14195 Berlin
Germany

Institution:

Freie Universität Berlin - vertreten durch den Präsidenten Univ. -Prof.
Dr. Dieter Lenzen

Anschrift:

ZEDAT, Fabeckstraße 32, 14195 Berlin

Kontakt:

individual.de

Rechtsform:

Die Freie Universität Berlin ist eine Körperschaft des öffentlichen Rechts
gem. §§ 1 und 2 Berliner Hochschulgesetz (BerlHG).

Umsatzsteuer-Identifikationsnummer:

DE 811304768

--
We Need a President Who's Fluent In At Least One Language

Old January 24th 07, 01:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

In my situation i had a come along but 2 x 20 foot tow straps with no
elasticity. (Yes with the metal hooks, I'm looking for snatch straps
presently). My point is - the come along will be tedious with an
elastic snatch strap. You'll be winching the thing till it is fully
stretched out.

Old January 24th 07, 03:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

In my opinion chains are worse than useless off road, especially in a 2
WD van. They just allow you to get in deeper before you really get into
trouble. They are useless once you are already stuck, no easy way to
'safely' get them on.

If you come to a soft spot with chains on, the chains will just dig
holes trying to plow the front wheels through the soft stuff, then you
can't even back out. A fiend tried them on his 2 WD van with a Detroit
locker. He got stuck 4 times in one truck length, then took the chains
off... He eventually put a front and rear receiver hitch on for a
powered winch mount....

On road, chains are very useful in ice conditions.

As far as the come-a-long goes, they are excellent, but you need a 'tow'
rope or cable or chain to extend them. ]

You also should invest in proper frame mounted tow hooks for all this.

The 'snatch' strap or jerk strap is a very useful tool for hooking to
another vehicle to get you out, but it does not work well with a
come-a-long. The stretch factor can take up all the play in the winch
before the vehicle moves. Been there, had to walk 5 miles to a camp to
borrow a non stretch rope to walk back and finish the extraction.

It is also very dangerous to hook a winch up to an elastic snatch strap
because metal parts fly fast and hard when wound up by an elastic band
and then suddenly released. (if something breaks)

A spool of wire winch cable or even that rope winch cable would be best
for extending the come-a-long.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old January 24th 07, 03:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Earle Horton[_15_]

There's the time factor too. Who wants to be stuck in the mud, cranking on
a come along for what seems like (and could be) hours, when you could be
sitting at home, watching other people on the TV who are stuck in the ditch?

Earle

ng.com...

Old January 24th 07, 04:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

Come-a-longs are very useful tools. I carry one along with my Warn
winch. On one RAMJ+W run, we needed my Warn HS9000i winch and two
come-a-longs to keep an XJ from going turtle in a frozen swamp.

The come-a-alongs were tagged sideways to a tree so the XJ moved on
their arc as the Warn extracted him.

Mike

Old January 24th 07, 04:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Mike Romain > wrote:

>He eventually put a front and rear receiver hitch on for a
>powered winch mount....

You think that better over all idea for a 2WD vehicle
than all the other gear..... come along, jerk strap,
chains?

Basically....I'm wanting to get rid of my FWD car and
either get a RWD van or small truck such a 2WD Ranger

Intended use will NOT be off road..... just on typical
snow small town street that don't get plowed well at
all.

I'm trying to get the advantages of a small pick (cargo
carrying, more lift)...... but also the advantages my
car has (good gas mileage, city driving).

I'm hoping a small 5 speed 2WD Ranger...... used
animally for city driving.... or a 2WD van..... again
both stick.... would give me that.

If it would.... I'm looking to outfit it with a few
things for those once in a million times I could get
stuck in huge snow bank at 2 am or so.

Hence the gear questions

I did think of a potable electric winch that could be
installed on front or back of vehicle. What you guys
think?