Help with front drive shaft rubbing skid plate on TJ

Old January 21st 07, 10:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
ULB

Default Help with front drive shaft rubbing skid plate on TJ

Okay, so I finished (sorta), installing my 4.5" Rubicon lift short arm.
I have the auto transmission and if I accelreate hard the front shaft
rubs on the trans skid plate. I have since pulled the trans skid
plate. Anyone else have this issue? I could fabricate a new bracket I
suppose. Does anyone make a skid plate after market for the TJ Trans?

I still need to adjust the pinion a little more, I get vibes at 65 and
up. If the pinion is perfectly setup what speed are typical of the
vibes?

Thanks

ULB

Old January 22nd 07, 01:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Carl[_3_]

How much of the plate rubs the shaft? Would it be possible to notch the skid
plate?

Carl

ups.com...

Old January 22nd 07, 02:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
ULB

Carl wrote:
> How much of the plate rubs the shaft? Would it be possible to notch the skid
> plate?
>
> Carl

It barely rubs that I can see, but I only drove it for 2 miles seeing
how it would handle with a couple of fast starts. I am kinda worried
that on full flex it would brake a ujoint etc. I am fairly certain I
could torch a small section out. I called up RE and they said
something to the effect of "you must custom fabricate something". they
said it was not an issue with the manual tranny. Weird. I did some
other research and it looks like tomken and skidrow sell an after
market skid plate.

I wonder if this common on the auto tranny as I did a boatload or
reading up and never saw a post regarding it. Perhaps most run manual
tranny. Would have went manual, but in SoCal, auto is necessary unless
you want a left leg the size of a tree trunk.

Old January 22nd 07, 02:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Carl[_3_]

I would just cut the stock plate to work. If the money isn't a problem then
get the new skid plate.

Carl

ups.com...

Old January 22nd 07, 02:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

I know folks that have had to notch the skid plate for their lift to work.

When your pinion is set up properly, you should be able to do 85+ mph
with no vibrations at all. If you have vibrations, you 'will' break
something. They are from parts jamming up, not a good thing....

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's