OT Ford Explorer

Old January 21st 07, 05:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Dave Milne

Default OT Ford Explorer

Im looking at a Ford Explorer - they were sold in the UK in 4.0 litre form
until around 2000. From a quick search of the net it seems that they might
be a total lemon due to a) problems with the rear end b) some plastic in the
timing tensioner assembly. As I don't know anyone who has one, can anyone
privide me with a balanced opinion ?

Cheers,
Dave Milne, Scotland
99 TJ, 91 Grand Wagoneer.

Old January 21st 07, 05:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Frank_v7.0

Cover your eyes, take a deep breath and head for the nearest pub until
the urge passes. Seriously, Explorers of that vintage had recalls for
fuel system and transmission problems. If the vehicles service records
indicate the problems was dealt with then treat it as you would any used
vehicle. The tires had problems also, but I doubt that's original rubber.

--
FRH
Old January 21st 07, 05:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Earle Horton[_8_]

I would stay away from American cars where you live, because of the high
prices of spares and the problems finding qualified repair personnel at
reasonable rates. Lots of vehicles have plastic in the timing tensioner
assembly, especially overhead cam engines. This is to dampen vibrations in
the chain. The plastic gizmo wears out over time, and you replace it. You
should be able to tell about actual, existing problems in the rear end from
looking at leaks, slack in the drive shaft and bearing or gear noise when
driving.

The incidence of problems like this doesn't have to be very high, before
Consumer Reports or someone complains about it. The vast majority of a
model with problems could be problem free. There are plenty of these
vehicles still on the roads in my country.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMlelEQOr68

Earle

.uk...

Old January 21st 07, 06:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jeff Strickland

That Explorer also came as a Mazda Navajo.

There are 2- and 4-door models. My b-in-law has one with 2 doors. He hasn't
had any problems to speak of, and it has about 100k miles in it.

.uk...

Old January 21st 07, 06:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Spdloader

My step daughter has the 2000 model, 2Dr. She's had tons of transmission
problems, rebuilt at 40,000, just out of warranty, then replaced at 84,000.
Multiple emissions problems, eventually needing a new ECC.
Electrical problems with the 4WD engagement, and with the power seat.

Spdloader

.uk...

Old January 21st 07, 08:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Carl[_3_]

Do a Google search for '5R55E'. That's the transmission model number. That
alone will be enough to make you forget ever buying an Explorer. It's a
shame, because they are very comfortable, nice driving trucks with decent
power. STAY AWAY!

Carl

.uk...

Old January 23rd 07, 12:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Kate

I bought a 2 door sport, special ordered it in 94 - std transmission
As a whole it was ok, except two things.
The transmission was problematical and the clutch was weird.
The brakes were really bad. After driving any distance if you applied them
sharply they would yank you off of the road and the anti-lock was a
nightmare on anything but a freshly paved surface.

Other than that, it was a good rig.
A Cherokee would have been a MUCH better choice.

Kate

.uk...

Old January 23rd 07, 02:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Carl[_3_]

A Cherokee is like a Sam Adams. Always a good choice.

Carl

Old January 23rd 07, 08:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Dave Milne[_1_]

Guess I will pass on that then !
Thanks for all of your help.
I didn't consider a Jeep as I didn't want a D35 rear end or an aluminium
D44.
Seems a shame, but I guess it will end up by being a Japanese truck.

Dave Milne, Scotland
'91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ
. ..

Old January 24th 07, 12:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Carl[_3_]

You can get a cherokee with an 8 and 1/4" rear or a cast D44. All XJ's after
2000 have the cast 8 and 1/4", and some with the towing package before then
have the 8 and 1/4. The D44 was a special order in the XJ.

An XJ w/o a D35 CAN be found. I have one.

Carl

o.uk...