Automatic gearbox playing up

Old July 19th 06, 09:08 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
Ironside

Default Automatic gearbox playing up

Three years ago, a Chrysler garage replaced the automatic gearbox my
1992 Plymouth Voyager. It was the second time that the gearbox played
up, the first time another garage fixed it. This time, it with the
same problem they decided that a new gearbox was needed Even though
it was experiencing the same problem as before. The gears wouldn't go
any higher than second. At the time, they told me that new gearboxes
were no longer available for this type of car. Not sure if I quite
believe that because I did phone a Chrysler dealership up in America
and they told me they were available. Just recently, the gearbox has
started playing up again. When I am driving, the gears won't go in the
Highlands second unless I really give it some gas. When it does change
to third, as soon as I take my foot of the gas, it automatically
changes down into the second gear whatever speed I am doing. You can
feel the car suddenly pull back as the gears are slowing it down.

I have since learned that this year of Plymouth Voyager had many faults
including ABS and gearbox.

Old July 22nd 06, 05:45 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
Ironside

sqdancerLynn wrote:
> Start by checking codes, make sure engine is ok & it's not going into limp
> mode. Change the fluid make sure to only use ATF3 NO DEXTRON Have the TCM
> reflashed. (trans control module) Only dealer can do it. read thru this
> site http://www.allpar.com/fix/trans.html

Just as a matter of interest, are new automatic transmissions still
available for a 1992 Plymouth Voyager?

Old July 22nd 06, 05:56 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
maxpower

"Ironside" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> sqdancerLynn wrote:
> > Start by checking codes, make sure engine is ok & it's not going into

limp
> > mode. Change the fluid make sure to only use ATF3 NO DEXTRON Have the

TCM
> > reflashed. (trans control module) Only dealer can do it. read thru this
> > site http://www.allpar.com/fix/trans.html

> Just as a matter of interest, are new automatic transmissions still
> available for a 1992 Plymouth Voyager?

Probably not

Old July 22nd 06, 06:41 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
LandB

"maxpower" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Ironside" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>>
>> sqdancerLynn wrote:
>> > Start by checking codes, make sure engine is ok & it's not going into

> limp
>> > mode. Change the fluid make sure to only use ATF3 NO DEXTRON Have the

> TCM
>> > reflashed. (trans control module) Only dealer can do it. read thru this
>> > site http://www.allpar.com/fix/trans.html

>> Just as a matter of interest, are new automatic transmissions still
>> available for a 1992 Plymouth Voyager?
>>

> Probably not

But a reman unit from a reputable shop is just as good as a new one, and
also considerably cheaper.

Old July 22nd 06, 07:35 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
Ironside

LandB wrote:
> "maxpower" > wrote in message
> . ..
> >
> > "Ironside" > wrote in message
> > ups.com...

> > limp

> > TCM
> >>
> >> Just as a matter of interest, are new automatic transmissions still
> >> available for a 1992 Plymouth Voyager?
> >>

> > Probably not
> >

> But a reman unit from a reputable shop is just as good as a new one, and
> also considerably cheaper.

Well, I had a reconditioned box put in my car in 2003. Since then, I
have done 7000 miles and the box is playing up something chronic.
There is no way I can afford to have it stripped down and fixed. (The
cost would be £1400) So, taking into account that my brakes are
binding all the time because of the hydraulic assembly and the
automatic gearbox playing up, I am going to have to scrap the car.
Bloody good job I have ordered a new one, not a Chrysler this time. I
am taking the car to a garage next week and they are going to put in
some ATF + 3. I am a much doubt this will sort the problem out but
it's worth a try.

Old July 22nd 06, 10:47 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
maxpower

"LandB" > wrote in message
. com...

> "maxpower" > wrote in message
> . ..
> >
> > "Ironside" > wrote in message
> > ups.com...

> > limp

> > TCM

this

> >> Just as a matter of interest, are new automatic transmissions still
> >> available for a 1992 Plymouth Voyager?
> >>

> > Probably not
> >

> But a reman unit from a reputable shop is just as good as a new one, and
> also considerably cheaper.

Yes but normally with just a 12/12 warranty. If you purchased a reman from
the dealer and had it installed the warranty would be 3/36

Old July 22nd 06, 10:52 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
maxpower

"Ironside" > wrote in message
ups.com...

LandB wrote:
> "maxpower" > wrote in message
> . ..
> >
> > "Ironside" > wrote in message
> > ups.com...

> > limp

> > TCM

this

> >> Just as a matter of interest, are new automatic transmissions still
> >> available for a 1992 Plymouth Voyager?
> >>

> > Probably not
> >

> But a reman unit from a reputable shop is just as good as a new one, and
> also considerably cheaper.

Well, I had a reconditioned box put in my car in 2003. Since then, I
have done 7000 miles and the box is playing up something chronic.
There is no way I can afford to have it stripped down and fixed. (The
cost would be £1400) So, taking into account that my brakes are
binding all the time because of the hydraulic assembly and the
automatic gearbox playing up, I am going to have to scrap the car.
Bloody good job I have ordered a new one, not a Chrysler this time. I
am taking the car to a garage next week and they are going to put in
some ATF + 3. I am a much doubt this will sort the problem out but
it's worth a try.

Was it a recondition trans from Chrysler? If so it should be still covered
under the 3/36 warranty. As far as you brakes goes the only thing I can
think of at this time until I get to work to check this number you gave me
is that the ABS unit that was installed could be for a C body vehicle. The
DYNASTY/NewYorker uses the same ABS unit but the "NON-ADJUSTABLE" Pushrod is
slightly longer then the NS Caravan unit

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old July 22nd 06, 11:17 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
Ironside

maxpower wrote:
> "Ironside" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>
> LandB wrote:
> > "maxpower" > wrote in message
> > . ..
> > >
> > > "Ironside" > wrote in message
> > > ups.com...

> > > limp
> > > TCM

> this

> > > Probably not
> > >

> > But a reman unit from a reputable shop is just as good as a new one, and
> > also considerably cheaper.

> Well, I had a reconditioned box put in my car in 2003. Since then, I
> have done 7000 miles and the box is playing up something chronic.
> There is no way I can afford to have it stripped down and fixed. (The
> cost would be £1400) So, taking into account that my brakes are
> binding all the time because of the hydraulic assembly and the
> automatic gearbox playing up, I am going to have to scrap the car.
> Bloody good job I have ordered a new one, not a Chrysler this time. I
> am taking the car to a garage next week and they are going to put in
> some ATF + 3. I am a much doubt this will sort the problem out but
> it's worth a try.
>
> Was it a recondition trans from Chrysler? If so it should be still covered
> under the 3/36 warranty. As far as you brakes goes the only thing I can
> think of at this time until I get to work to check this number you gave me
> is that the ABS unit that was installed could be for a C body vehicle. The
> DYNASTY/NewYorker uses the same ABS unit but the "NON-ADJUSTABLE" Pushrod is
> slightly longer then the NS Caravan unit
>
> Glenn Beasley
> Chrysler Tech

I have absolutely no idea whether the recondition unit came from
Chrysler. The Chrysler dealership fitted it. All I know it is they gave
me a 12 month./12,000 my warranty. Two days before the warranty ran
out, the box started doing what it is doing now and I managed to get
in. Since then, it has done it a few times but has righted itself.
This time, I think the transmission is shot. By the way, the
dealership is called "Carrs of Exeter" I would avoid them like the
plague

Old July 22nd 06, 11:26 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
maxpower

"Ironside" > wrote in message
ups.com...

maxpower wrote:
> "Ironside" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>
> LandB wrote:
> > "maxpower" > wrote in message
> > . ..
> > >
> > > "Ironside" > wrote in message
> > > ups.com...

into
> > > limp

the
> > > TCM

> this

> > > Probably not
> > >

> > But a reman unit from a reputable shop is just as good as a new one, and
> > also considerably cheaper.

> Well, I had a reconditioned box put in my car in 2003. Since then, I
> have done 7000 miles and the box is playing up something chronic.
> There is no way I can afford to have it stripped down and fixed. (The
> cost would be £1400) So, taking into account that my brakes are
> binding all the time because of the hydraulic assembly and the
> automatic gearbox playing up, I am going to have to scrap the car.
> Bloody good job I have ordered a new one, not a Chrysler this time. I
> am taking the car to a garage next week and they are going to put in
> some ATF + 3. I am a much doubt this will sort the problem out but
> it's worth a try.
>
> Was it a recondition trans from Chrysler? If so it should be still covered
> under the 3/36 warranty. As far as you brakes goes the only thing I can
> think of at this time until I get to work to check this number you gave me
> is that the ABS unit that was installed could be for a C body vehicle. The
> DYNASTY/NewYorker uses the same ABS unit but the "NON-ADJUSTABLE" Pushrod

is
> slightly longer then the NS Caravan unit
>
> Glenn Beasley
> Chrysler Tech

I have absolutely no idea whether the recondition unit came from
Chrysler. The Chrysler dealership fitted it. All I know it is they gave
me a 12 month./12,000 my warranty. Two days before the warranty ran
out, the box started doing what it is doing now and I managed to get
in. Since then, it has done it a few times but has righted itself.
This time, I think the transmission is shot. By the way, the
dealership is called "Carrs of Exeter" I would avoid them like the
plague

When you pay for something don't you ask them what you are getting? Find out
if they installed a Chrysler Remanufactured unit. Don't you have a receipt
stating what you bought???

Old July 23rd 06, 01:21 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge
Ironside

maxpower wrote:
> "Ironside" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>
> maxpower wrote:
> > "Ironside" > wrote in message
> > ups.com...
> >
> > LandB wrote:
> > > "maxpower" > wrote in message
> > > . ..

> into

> the

> > this

> > > But a reman unit from a reputable shop is just as good as a new one, and
> > > also considerably cheaper.

> > Well, I had a reconditioned box put in my car in 2003. Since then, I
> > have done 7000 miles and the box is playing up something chronic.
> > There is no way I can afford to have it stripped down and fixed. (The
> > cost would be £1400) So, taking into account that my brakes are
> > binding all the time because of the hydraulic assembly and the
> > automatic gearbox playing up, I am going to have to scrap the car.
> > Bloody good job I have ordered a new one, not a Chrysler this time. I
> > am taking the car to a garage next week and they are going to put in
> > some ATF + 3. I am a much doubt this will sort the problem out but
> > it's worth a try.
> >
> > Was it a recondition trans from Chrysler? If so it should be still covered
> > under the 3/36 warranty. As far as you brakes goes the only thing I can
> > think of at this time until I get to work to check this number you gave me
> > is that the ABS unit that was installed could be for a C body vehicle. The
> > DYNASTY/NewYorker uses the same ABS unit but the "NON-ADJUSTABLE" Pushrod

> is
> > slightly longer then the NS Caravan unit
> >
> > Glenn Beasley
> > Chrysler Tech

> I have absolutely no idea whether the recondition unit came from
> Chrysler. The Chrysler dealership fitted it. All I know it is they gave
> me a 12 month./12,000 my warranty. Two days before the warranty ran
> out, the box started doing what it is doing now and I managed to get
> in. Since then, it has done it a few times but has righted itself.
> This time, I think the transmission is shot. By the way, the
> dealership is called "Carrs of Exeter" I would avoid them like the
> plague
>

> When you pay for something don't you ask them what you are getting? Find out
> if they installed a Chrysler Remanufactured unit. Don't you have a receipt
> stating what you bought???

Strangely, I used to trust what people told me. I am also not at all
mechanically minded so when they say they are putting in a
reconditioned gearbox, I assume it is going to work. I don't
automatically ask where has it come from.

I am a bit of hoarder and don't throw things away straightaway. I have
actually got the invoice for the gearbox so I will have a look at it
tomorrow. When the I do know, it cost me £1500 excluding Labour.
7000 mi. later and the bloody thing doesn't work properly

What is this 3/36, three years or 36,000 maybe?