91 Accord Fuel Filter question

Old June 2nd 05, 03:31 AM
Rattus The RAT

Default 91 Accord Fuel Filter question

I went to do my oil change at a cheap place and of course, as usual they
told me "everything looks great *EXCEPT*..."

This time it was my fuel filter, apparently it was real bad and there was
just paper inside of it and i'll ruin my engine in the next few days if I
don't change it. He said this thing needed to be changed every 15K miles! I
thought it was bull**** and I called the auto repair shop I trust to ask
them about it and he said "nah this thing can last 100K miles and you'd see
gas spilling all over the place if it was bad". So I assume it's still fine
but should I get it checked in a place I trust if I see no leak or anything
like that? I have this car since almost 2 years ago and put 40K miles on it
(208K) and the fuel filter never been changed.

RAT

Old June 2nd 05, 04:51 AM
TeGGeR®

"Rattus The RAT" > wrote
in m:

> I went to do my oil change at a cheap place and of course, as usual
> they told me "everything looks great *EXCEPT*..."
>
> This time it was my fuel filter, apparently it was real bad and there
> was just paper inside of it and i'll ruin my engine in the next few
> days if I don't change it. He said this thing needed to be changed
> every 15K miles! I thought it was bull**** and I called the auto
> repair shop I trust to ask them about it and he said "nah this thing
> can last 100K miles and you'd see gas spilling all over the place if
> it was bad". So I assume it's still fine but should I get it checked
> in a place I trust if I see no leak or anything like that? I have this
> car since almost 2 years ago and put 40K miles on it (208K) and the
> fuel filter never been changed.

If the filter was clogged, you'd end up with fuel supply problems, and
probably a Code 43 error. True filter clogging is very rare unless you have
tons of rust and scale in the gas tank. That rust and scale would make your
fuel pump noisy well before you got drivability problems due toe clogged
fuell filter.

If the car is running fine, the filter does not need changing.

However, water will eventually collect in it over time, and this can lead
to deterioration of the filter medium. Replace every 40-60K miles or so. If
it's never been done to your knowledge, do it, then forget about it for a
few years.

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old June 2nd 05, 07:44 AM

Changing fuel filter is not that hard isn't it. Only you need is a
unscrew two bolt
holding a fuel filter. is there thing I have to do beside removing two
bolts?

The problem I've having is I can't remove the bolts cuz I have no tool
to hold the
bottom bolt. I have to remove the upper bolt by holding the bottom nut.

Old June 2nd 05, 03:05 PM
justinreigle (at) gmail (dot) com

Make sure you replace the aluminum crush washers on the banjo and
service bolts. I had a hell of a time removing mine since the jerk who
worked on it last apparently torqued the bolts to the max.

- Justin

Old June 2nd 05, 03:33 PM
SoCalMike

justinreigle (at) gmail (dot) com wrote:
> Make sure you replace the aluminum crush washers on the banjo and
> service bolts. I had a hell of a time removing mine since the jerk who
> worked on it last apparently torqued the bolts to the max.
>
> - Justin

its possible they never replaced the washers, so they torqued the ****
outta it to keep the original washers from leaking.
Old June 3rd 05, 08:08 AM

extra washers come within in a new fuel filter package.

Fuel Filter confusion tfandango Ford Explorer 10 March 8th 05 12:19 PM
Changing Fuel Filter Lawrence Glickman Technology 0 February 14th 05 02:47 AM
Fuel odor - Accord 92 loukas Honda 18 November 29th 04 06:09 AM
Fuel Filter -96 Dodge Stratus 2.4 JayGitfidlz Dodge 0 September 29th 04 05:52 PM