2000 MPV Check Engine Light and Exhaust

Old September 21st 05, 06:44 PM
Eric G

Default 2000 MPV Check Engine Light and Exhaust

Mazda MPV 200 130K miles

Check engine light has been on and off without resolution prior to
100K. As early as the first year we have noticed this problem. When
on, nothing found. When off, it was not even lighting up momentarily
up upon staring the engine.

Niether Mazda in each case, nor an independent mechanic could diagnose.
Now we have a potential bill for over $3000 for exhaust manifold and
CO2 sensor repair.

Should the check engine light be on if there is no detectible issue?

Has anyone else had this type/ similar issue.

Old September 22nd 05, 02:30 AM
Chuck

The Engine check light shows a detectible issue. The obd2 code (when read)
will show what is setting the light.
I don't understand the potential bill, it's out of line.
4 wire Bosch O2 sensor from parts house <$100

What is wrong with the manifold? They can be welded (usually), or an
aftermarket header used.
The entire exhaust system from the engine to the rear is available from
aftermarket or used.
Stock used parts are also available.
You might get more information by going to www.miata.net
(including parts sources and information)
Common causes are a bad igniton coil or coils, sticking injectors, Plug
wires, plugs, etc.

oups.com...

Old September 22nd 05, 04:51 AM
KWS

"Eric G" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Mazda MPV 200 130K miles
>
> Check engine light has been on and off without resolution prior to
> 100K. As early as the first year we have noticed this problem. When
> on, nothing found.

When off, it was not even lighting up momentarily
> up upon staring the engine.

From this description, one might assume that the light was being driven "on"
all the time, but failed to be on all the time due to a poor connection, bad
bulb, etc. The bulb check when switching the ignition on is supposed to
assure you that the bulb works.

> Niether Mazda in each case, nor an independent mechanic could diagnose.

If the OBDII system did not report a failing code, then you have either a
faulty computer or no codes to report. I have not heard of any "faulty
computer" reports, although I expect it happens.

> Now we have a potential bill for over $3000 for exhaust manifold and
> CO2 sensor repair.

Exhaust manifold? What could possibly be wrong there? Was it cracked? Making
noise? An 02 sensor costs about $100 and (guessing here) about $50 to have
installed. If the system was not reporting specific codes, why change the O2
sensor?

> Should the check engine light be on if there is no detectible issue?

To my knowledge, no. There are other engine codes that can be generated
without illuminating the light, but the light should stay off if everything
is OK.

Old September 22nd 05, 07:00 AM
alex

ok here is the list that has been wrong with the your mpv, front and rear
exhaust manfiolds crack causin the o2 sensors to fail due to conamination,
there is an intake manfiold recall, rear heater pipes underneath vehcile are
failing due to corrosion, and there is transmission recalls for the module
to be re programmed, also the liftgate dampers in the rear have a recall on
them as well.

Old September 22nd 05, 05:21 PM
Eric G

Regarding the exhaust manifolds: Here is what I am being told: They
are leaking. No mention of cracks. This resolves itself once they warm
up and seal off the leak. (I was told his could be heard and was not
discovered based on check engine codes. Actually codes found are
listed below.)

The inspection docs refer to the "CAT" (catalytic converter) and
"Manifolds" leaking. I was told by service that the CAT is part of
the exhaust manifolds and the cats alone cannot be changed. The whole
manifold needs to be replaced. Does this sound right?

So do CATs leak? Manifolds leak? What cause this? Does the above
make sense?

So are the exhaust manifolds/ cat converters under recall? O2 sensor?
Intake Manifold Control Module (aka "IMRC Control" below).? With the
list of items they have quoted below what caused what to fail and what
can be considered recall issues? Where do I find recall info for the
MPV?
____________________

Here are the details from Mazda -

Prior history: Bypass Air Control valve resolved at 84K under recall/
warranty. Problem was that engine kept cutting off within a few
seconds after starting. I remember an O2 sensor being replaced but
this is not documented anywhere. I'll check my records.

This is the problem found from my current service invoice. By the way,
this was found while I had brought the MPV in to have the power
steering repaired. It ends up the pulley came off the pump. They
replaced the pulley, nut, installed new drive belt and repaired the
spline on power steering pump. This was considered a freak incident.
No one at Mazda had ever seen this. Ironically, an independent
mechanic I contacted for a second opinion says he just had this issue
last week.

While performing a routine inspection, after the power steering work,
they found this:

"Found code P0136 and P1512. Middle O2 [typo? - CO2]+ front and back
cat need to be replace due to exhaust leak causing P0136 intake runner
control unit need to be replaced for P1512"

The service rep told me the CO2 sensor shorted out. All the docs/
invoices refer to O2. I think theses are the same.

Here are the parts they quoted:
IMRC Control [intake manifold control module]
Oxygen Sensor
R Manifold
L Manifold
Exhaust Manifold Gasket

I will seek a second opinion before I do any thing. I need to find out
what has been recalled. Also, I need to determine if the faulty,
malfunctioning check engine light: 1) is now reliable, 2) missed
something over the last several months and 3) Could it missing a
problem prevented early detection and resolution that has now led to a
larger exhaust failure?

Another pending question is: "Why could not Mazda resolve the check
engine light issue over the last several months and even last year? We
had documented engine light malfunctions in Spring 04 and now in 05.

Old September 23rd 05, 01:15 AM
Leon van Dommelen

"Eric G" > wrote:

>Regarding the exhaust manifolds: Here is what I am being told: They
>are leaking. No mention of cracks. This resolves itself once they warm
>up and seal off the leak. (I was told his could be heard and was not
>discovered based on check engine codes. Actually codes found are
>listed below.)
>
>The inspection docs refer to the "CAT" (catalytic converter) and
>"Manifolds" leaking. I was told by service that the CAT is part of
>the exhaust manifolds and the cats alone cannot be changed. The whole
>manifold needs to be replaced. Does this sound right?
>
>So do CATs leak? Manifolds leak? What cause this? Does the above
>make sense?
>
>So are the exhaust manifolds/ cat converters under recall? O2 sensor?
>Intake Manifold Control Module (aka "IMRC Control" below).? With the
>list of items they have quoted below what caused what to fail and what
>can be considered recall issues? Where do I find recall info for the
>MPV?
>____________________
>
>Here are the details from Mazda -
>
>Prior history: Bypass Air Control valve resolved at 84K under recall/
>warranty. Problem was that engine kept cutting off within a few
>seconds after starting. I remember an O2 sensor being replaced but
>this is not documented anywhere. I'll check my records.
>

>This is the problem found from my current service invoice. By the way,
>this was found while I had brought the MPV in to have the power
>steering repaired. It ends up the pulley came off the pump. They
>replaced the pulley, nut, installed new drive belt and repaired the
>spline on power steering pump. This was considered a freak incident.
>No one at Mazda had ever seen this. Ironically, an independent
>mechanic I contacted for a second opinion says he just had this issue
>last week.
>
>While performing a routine inspection, after the power steering work,
>they found this:
>
>"Found code P0136 and P1512. Middle O2 [typo? - CO2]+ front and back
>cat need to be replace due to exhaust leak causing P0136 intake runner
>control unit need to be replaced for P1512"
>
>The service rep told me the CO2 sensor shorted out. All the docs/
>invoices refer to O2. I think theses are the same.

It is an O2 sensor, not a CO2 sensor. Trying to sense CO2 would not
make much sense, CO2 is hard to avoid if you are burning carbon (gas).

>Here are the parts they quoted:
>IMRC Control [intake manifold control module]
>Oxygen Sensor
>R Manifold
>L Manifold
>Exhaust Manifold Gasket
>
>I will seek a second opinion before I do any thing. I need to find out
>what has been recalled. Also, I need to determine if the faulty,
>malfunctioning check engine light: 1) is now reliable, 2) missed
>something over the last several months and 3) Could it missing a
>problem prevented early detection and resolution that has now led to a
>larger exhaust failure?
>
>Another pending question is: "Why could not Mazda resolve the check
>engine light issue over the last several months and even last year? We
>had documented engine light malfunctions in Spring 04 and now in 05.

I would think that if the problem existed and was evident during the
warranty period, Mazda should fix it. Not that I am a lawyer.

Leon
http://www.dommelen.net/miata
EXIT THE INTERSTATES (Jamie Jensen)
Old September 23rd 05, 03:27 AM
alex

Iv been responding to your question in the newsgroup, give me your VIN
number that way i can enter it into the computer and it will tell me your
exhaust setup, now the exhaust manfiolds are prone to cracking at the pipe
which is connected to the flange of the manfiold which is connected to the
head of the motor, when cracked it will leak exhaust and can be heard upon
startup becuase when cold metal shrinks and will expose the crack and it
will leak as it warms up it will expand and the crack will be closed and no
leak can be heard, but when you visually inspect the actual manfiold you
will be able ot see carbon on the outside of the flange and that is where
the leaks occur, when you have a cracked manifold vacuum from the exhaust
flowing rearwards will draw air from the outside into your exhaust and past
your o2 sensors (not co2) which will contaminate the sensors and render them
useless now iv seen both manifolds go or one at a time this has no recalls
on it unfortuneatly and the customer has to pay. When your oxygen sensor
fails it is sending a low/lean signal to the PCM (engine computer) the PCM
then starts to dump fuel to compensate for a false lean signal which will
result in a drastic fuel mileage reduction and possibly killing the catalyst
in the converter(s). Now replacing these manfiolds is a big job and it is
not easy especially when oyu snap the studs of in the head now youv got to
drill/remove/retap the head while in a cramped space and possibly damging
the head in the process which will result in head removal on the customers
behalf, I am little skeptical now you said the dealer replaced the o2 sensor
previously try and pull up the history and check if they had the same codes
then as you do now if you do this should have been covered under warranty
and either the mechanic didnt want to do the job becaus eit doesnt pay very
well to do it and it is nasty to do or the service manager didnt want to do
a warranty claim becuase he doesnt get paid as much to do the job with
warranty as he would with the customer. The check engine light is reliable
it is there to tell you you have a problem and it never stays on just
because it wants to, your best bet is to do the research and see why they
replaced that o2 sensor previously i havent seen them go just becuase iv
seen them go becaus ethe manifolds were cracked but not just because so go
get the history and report back.

oups.com...

Old September 24th 05, 06:17 AM
alex

Today i just worked on a 2000 mpv with leaky manifolds but it didnt have
CAT's in the manfiolds 2003 mpv's have cats but the 2000's do not have cats
in the manifolds! so you got the wrong quote. and the cats do not need
replacement unless you have cat efficiancy codes.

oups.com...