Arse.... that's 3 of 4 cars down at the moment!

Old April 19th 10, 05:05 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
SteveH[_2_]

Default Arse.... that's 3 of 4 cars down at the moment!

Prius was pranged by a clumsy van driver a few weeks back, so that's in
to be repaired this week.

The Cinquecento track slag is currently away undergoing the
transformation from shopping trolley to said track slag.

Which left me with the 75.

Got it out on Saturday, washed / polished / twiddled with things, stood
back and admired my work.

Took it for work this morning - everything was fine - the sun was out, I
had my iPod, and I was really enjoying myself.

Coming home.... changed from 3rd to 4th on a dual carriageway and *thud*
from somewhere at the rear of the car. Followed by rattling through the
gearstick. Bugger.

It still drives, but I don't trust it for any decent length journey, but
I can't see anything wrong having had a quick look.

Fortunately, my track car is back tomorrow afternoon, so I'll do a swap
with my local mechanic.

Hassle I could have done without - especially as I was really looking
forward to driving up to Shropshire in it for a meeting this week.

If all else fails, I'll book a hire car.

--
SteveH
Old April 19th 10, 06:21 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

SteveH wrote:
> Prius was pranged by a clumsy van driver a few weeks back, so that's in
> to be repaired this week.
>
> The Cinquecento track slag is currently away undergoing the
> transformation from shopping trolley to said track slag.
>
> Which left me with the 75.
>
> Got it out on Saturday, washed / polished / twiddled with things, stood
> back and admired my work.
>
> Took it for work this morning - everything was fine - the sun was out, I
> had my iPod, and I was really enjoying myself.
>
> Coming home.... changed from 3rd to 4th on a dual carriageway and *thud*
> from somewhere at the rear of the car. Followed by rattling through the
> gearstick. Bugger.
>
> It still drives, but I don't trust it for any decent length journey, but
> I can't see anything wrong having had a quick look.
>
> Fortunately, my track car is back tomorrow afternoon, so I'll do a swap
> with my local mechanic.
>
> Hassle I could have done without - especially as I was really looking
> forward to driving up to Shropshire in it for a meeting this week.
>
> If all else fails, I'll book a hire car.

All together now 'Driveline donuts'

Seriously. Is the rattling at engine speed?

116 Giulietta 3.0l Sprint 1.7 GTV TS GT 3.2 V6
Triumph Sprint ST 1050: It's blue, see.
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Old April 19th 10, 07:55 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
SteveH[_2_]

Catman > wrote:

> All together now 'Driveline donuts'
>
> Seriously. Is the rattling at engine speed?

Hmmm, the rattling appears to be coming from the gear selector - it goes
away when I hold onto the gearstick - so I believe it's caused by some
vibration in the drivetrain.

Strangely, it feels like the thud came from the back end, but there's
some kind of quiet scraping noise coming from the front end as I release
the clutch.

However, I do get a bit of shunt from the rear if I come off the
throttle then floor it as I drive, IYSWIM.

Quite possibly need new donuts, then - they're only around 30 quid each,
so not a big deal - but I could have done with it not happening this
week.
--
SteveH
Old April 19th 10, 08:13 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

SteveH wrote:
> Catman > wrote:
>
>> All together now 'Driveline donuts'
>>
>> Seriously. Is the rattling at engine speed?

> Hmmm, the rattling appears to be coming from the gear selector - it goes
> away when I hold onto the gearstick - so I believe it's caused by some
> vibration in the drivetrain.

Could just be cracked and banging against the selector. Or it could be a
n intermediate support bearing gone.

> Strangely, it feels like the thud came from the back end, but there's
> some kind of quiet scraping noise coming from the front end as I release
> the clutch.

Clutch is at the back innit.

> However, I do get a bit of shunt from the rear if I come off the
> throttle then floor it as I drive, IYSWIM.

Could also be a gearbox mount, then.

> Quite possibly need new donuts, then - they're only around 30 quid each,
> so not a big deal - but I could have done with it not happening this
> week.

Indeed. PITA.

Old April 19th 10, 08:16 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
SteveH[_2_]

Catman > wrote:

> > Hmmm, the rattling appears to be coming from the gear selector - it goes
> > away when I hold onto the gearstick - so I believe it's caused by some
> > vibration in the drivetrain.

> Could just be cracked and banging against the selector. Or it could be a
> n intermediate support bearing gone.

Again, cheap part to replace.

> > Strangely, it feels like the thud came from the back end, but there's
> > some kind of quiet scraping noise coming from the front end as I release
> > the clutch.
> >

> Clutch is at the back innit.

True, but it points to possibly a donut.

> > However, I do get a bit of shunt from the rear if I come off the
> > throttle then floor it as I drive, IYSWIM.

> Could also be a gearbox mount, then.

Also a possibility.

> > Quite possibly need new donuts, then - they're only around 30 quid each,
> > so not a big deal - but I could have done with it not happening this
> > week.

> Indeed. PITA.

Kind of wondering if I should go for the full works - centre prop mount
and a pair of donuts.

Get it all sorted at the same time.
--
SteveH
Old April 19th 10, 08:33 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

SteveH wrote:
> Catman > wrote:
>
>>> Hmmm, the rattling appears to be coming from the gear selector - it goes
>>> away when I hold onto the gearstick - so I believe it's caused by some
>>> vibration in the drivetrain.

>> Could just be cracked and banging against the selector. Or it could be a
>> n intermediate support bearing gone.

> Again, cheap part to replace.

Aye

>>> Strangely, it feels like the thud came from the back end, but there's
>>> some kind of quiet scraping noise coming from the front end as I release
>>> the clutch.
>>>

>> Clutch is at the back innit.

> True, but it points to possibly a donut.

Aye

>>> However, I do get a bit of shunt from the rear if I come off the
>>> throttle then floor it as I drive, IYSWIM.

>> Could also be a gearbox mount, then.

> Also a possibility.

Still quite cheap.

All of this is wrong if the rattling is road speed related, though.

ISTR something similar on the Giulietta, it turned out to be something
in the gear selector had dropped and was banging on the driveshaft.

>>> Quite possibly need new donuts, then - they're only around 30 quid each,
>>> so not a big deal - but I could have done with it not happening this
>>> week.

>> Indeed. PITA.

> Kind of wondering if I should go for the full works - centre prop mount
> and a pair of donuts.
>
> Get it all sorted at the same time.

I suspect it'll be almost as cheap. Drop the whole thing and replace as
opposed to just trying to replace the bust bit.

Old April 19th 10, 08:48 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
SteveH[_2_]

Catman > wrote:

> All of this is wrong if the rattling is road speed related, though.
>
> ISTR something similar on the Giulietta, it turned out to be something
> in the gear selector had dropped and was banging on the driveshaft.

It only rattles at certain revs / loads - but I'm not sure the rattling
is related to the actual fault, more that it's just that the rattle is
caused by the vibration, IYSWIM.

My local mechanic had a very quick look underneath, as did I, but I
couldn't see anything obvious.

Absolutely gutted, as I was really looking forward to the drive through
mid-Wales in it on Wednesday afternoon.
--
SteveH
Old April 19th 10, 09:55 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

Old April 19th 10, 09:58 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
SteveH[_2_]

Catman > wrote:

> > Absolutely gutted, as I was really looking forward to the drive through
> > mid-Wales in it on Wednesday afternoon.

On the positive side..... I get to drive my newly fettled Fiat
Cinquecento instead.

All my colleagues will laugh at me, but I'll have a decent drive up
there in my chav-wagon.
--
SteveH
Old April 20th 10, 06:00 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

SteveH wrote:
> Catman > wrote:
>
>>> Absolutely gutted, as I was really looking forward to the drive through
>>> mid-Wales in it on Wednesday afternoon.

> On the positive side..... I get to drive my newly fettled Fiat
> Cinquecento instead.
>
> All my colleagues will laugh at me,

As they should.

>but I'll have a decent drive up
> there in my chav-wagon.

I'm sure you'll look the part

Nasty moment of the day MLOM Driving 22 June 11th 09 02:53 PM
I didn't know blago was this big of an arse... Brent P[_1_] Driving 4 August 9th 08 05:40 PM
just a moment [email protected] Technology 3 August 8th 07 10:09 PM
Another moment of silence dwight[_1_] Ford Mustang 14 April 30th 07 01:28 AM
Time t' get off me arse... DrEntropy Alfa Romeo 14 September 10th 05 12:58 PM