Fiat reportedly planning to merge Alfa Romeo, Abarth and Maserati

Old February 1st 10, 04:03 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Zathras

Default Fiat reportedly planning to merge Alfa Romeo, Abarth and Maserati

On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 12:03:21 +0000, (SteveH)
wrote:

>Zathras > wrote:
>
>> >You're really not selling me the whole diesel thing, you know

>> Being a little more honest, the noise was like throwing a con-rod!!
>> The car only suffers from it for the first quarter mile (not mile as I
>> said previously) after a sub zero cold start - I always was surprised
>> by it as it tended to occur on 2nd gear takeoffs and last a fraction
>> of a second. After the quarter mile all is settled down though.
>>
>> There are diesels that don't suffer from this but I can't recommend
>> those here! Probably later 2.4s were improved - I would hope there was
>> a step improvement on the move from uni to multi-jet.

>Not sure what the issue is.

First generation fuelling control of that type of common rail wasn't
perfect for all operating conditions, I suspect. The rattle is
proportional to engine load. I tried not to load the engine too much
when frozen stiff but the occasional time, you'd approach a junction
and not stop but accelerate from rather low revs in second with a
significant jump in engine loading. Lotsa rattling for a second. It's
not a phenomenon I've experienced except on the 2.4 and it's probably
something only an owner would experience unless you were in a country
where temperatures were always lower than -5C..

Just to be clear, this momentary aberration does not affect my opinion
that the 2.4 10V is a fabulous sounding motor for true engine
enthusiasts.

>Having lived with a fairly vocal diesel for 100k miles, it was only the
>cold start that really made a lot of diesel clatter.

>Once warmed up, and you were inside the car, the turbo made more noise
>than the combustion.

The Alfa has both a loud engine (which sounds superb) and a loud turbo
whistle when cold. It tended not to rattle in the same way as other
diesels - it was a bit kinder on the ears. The car was never remotely
quiet. Honestly, I thought my hearing had failed when I got in the
beemer!

>At idle, you had to check the rev-counter to ensure the car was still
>running.

Never needed with the Alfa 2.4..it was only quiet with a feathered
accelerator when cruising (at any speed)..which was totally fine by
me.

>I miss my TDI, to be honest - they're so lazy, with massive low-down
>torque and incredibly refined on the motorway - ISTR a normal cruise was
>off-boost.

I've now got 300lb-ft at 1300rpm and am having all sorts of
traction-off-the-line issues at the rear. The rears light up too often
- the traction on my old front wheel drive Alfa was vastly superior.

Scotland
Alfa Romeo 156 2.4JTD Veloce Leather (sold)
'Oil' be seeing you..
(Email must have the word 'Alfa' in the
subject line to get through auto-filtering)