Emissions Warranty

Old April 20th 08, 05:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Bill[_27_]

Default Emissions Warranty

I have a 2000 Miata with 58k miles. The catalytic converter was recently
replaces under the factory warranty. The engine light has come on again.
The error code appears to be an O2 sensor. Would this also be covered by
the factory warranty on a car this old and with this milage?

Beachbum

Old April 21st 08, 12:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chuck

There are to many variables to say yes or no. Likely not. However, the
California warranty may be different than he federal one for emissions
control (if it makes any difference). The dealer and your relations with
him can also be a major factor. I just had a Chevy dealer replace two tires
on an 05 that he did not have to, and he managed to get GM to cover them
under warranty. The tire dealer could not get the tire mfr to cover them
directly.
In any event, the O2 sensor (front or back) can be replaced with Bosch
sensor(s) for less than $100 each (parts, your labor) if the splice in
replacements are used. Add about one hour of labor if you have to have a
mechanic do it. The front sensor is more likely to be the culprit than the
rear one. It seems that the most common failure code that basically says
that the cat efficiency is not good can be either the O2 sensor (usually
front) or the cat. Often an additional problem with the ignition coil pack
on 99 and 00s can be part of the problem. The coil pack issue is well
documented in the Miata.net forums, and can be difficult to diagnose. On
California spec cars, the front precat and O2 sensor are the most common
failure items. One string of logic is that the defective coil pack causes
poor combustion, the contaminants screw-up the pre cat or cat, and the O2
sensor fails prematurely as well. I've had this happen on my fed spec 99.

"Bill" > wrote in message
> I have a 2000 Miata with 58k miles. The catalytic converter was recently
> replaces under the factory warranty. The engine light has come on again.
> The error code appears to be an O2 sensor. Would this also be covered by
> the factory warranty on a car this old and with this milage?
>
> Beachbum

77 FI Bug Emissions Mel P.[_2_] VW air cooled 4 January 31st 08 06:41 PM
emissions warranty john Jeep 1 August 4th 05 10:56 PM
1996 Accord extended emissions warranty [email protected] Honda 6 March 11th 05 10:32 PM
SRS light on: Is this a warranty item on an out of warranty car? Rick Honda 9 January 24th 05 02:28 AM
Warranty Direct or other warranty companies john smith General 4 March 6th 04 03:50 PM