Convertible Top Latches Fix?

Old February 26th 08, 07:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
mdginzo

Default Convertible Top Latches Fix?

My 1995 MIata has a lot of trouble latching the top down. Usually I
have to keep it open and use a seperate cover when the weather demands
it. Would replacing the latches with new ones solve the problem? It
is a new vinyl top from Robbins, but I am wondering it the problem is
not in the latches but maybe the top framing itself. Any advice woudl
be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old February 26th 08, 10:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_3_]

mdginzo > wrote:

> My 1995 MIata has a lot of trouble latching the top down. Usually
> I have to keep it open and use a seperate cover when the weather
> demands it. Would replacing the latches with new ones solve the
> problem? It is a new vinyl top from Robbins, but I am wondering
> it the problem is not in the latches but maybe the top framing
> itself. Any advice woudl be greatly appreciated.

How old is the top? Robbins says the top must be installed, put up and
left up for a couple of days to stretch out. I lowered my brand new
Robbins top with the glass rear window the first day I got it and put
it up later that evening. The rear window tore out....

It's going to take some time to stretch it out properly, maybe a week
or more if the weather is warm, maybe until next summer if it's cold...

The Usenet Improvement Project:
http://improve-usenet.org
Old February 28th 08, 01:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
mdginzo

On Feb 26, 3:24 pm, pws > wrote:
> mdginzo wrote:
> > My 1995 MIata has a lot of trouble latching the top down. Usually I
> > have to keep it open and use a seperate cover when the weather demands
> > it. Would replacing the latches with new ones solve the problem? It
> > is a new vinyl top from Robbins, but I am wondering it the problem is
> > not in the latches but maybe the top framing itself. Any advice woudl
> > be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

> A new top often needs to be stretched out.
>
> Leave it up for 4 or 5 days and it should set. There are also
> adjustments that you can do to the latches, but with the top being new,
> that is almost certainly what is causing the problem.
>
> Pat

Well, I did that. This top is over 6 months old now.
Old February 28th 08, 08:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
mdginzo

On Feb 27, 10:25 pm, pws > wrote:
> mdginzo wrote:
> >> A new top often needs to be stretched out.

> >> Leave it up for 4 or 5 days and it should set. There are also
> >> adjustments that you can do to the latches, but with the top being new,
> >> that is almost certainly what is causing the problem.

> >> Pat

> > Well, I did that. This top is over 6 months old now.

> That makes it a used vinyl top from Robbins, not new.
>
> I would try adjusting the latches to their maximum setting and see if
> that helps.
> If that does not fix it and it has not and will not stretch to fit, then
> it is most likely a defective or improperly installed top.
>
> The frame is pretty tough and any damage to it would be quickly noticed
> both visually and while raising and lowering it.
>
> Pat

It was new when I got it. Anyway, I will try adjusting the latches.
Old February 29th 08, 12:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
mdginzo

On Feb 28, 12:31*pm, pws > wrote:
> mdginzo wrote:
> > It was new when I got it. *Anyway, I will try adjusting the latches.

> I was not trying to be rude, it just makes a big difference on whether
> you just installed the top or not.
> New made me think that you had recently installed it, so stretching it
> by leaving it up would have made sense.
>
> With six months of use and it still not fitting properly, there is
> probably another problem, as you suspected.
>
> Anyway, good luck and please let us know how it works out.
>
> Pat

I didn't think you were being rude. I just wanted to make it clear
that I bought a new top. I am going to do the latch thing, but I am
wondring if the latches tend to wear out making it more difficult to
catch.
Old February 29th 08, 07:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Christopher Muto

did you install the top yourself? does it have a zippered window or a non
zip glass window. a non zip glass window comes with straps to be added to
the frame that could have been installed too short resulting in tremendous
resistance to closing. when you say you have trouble latching the top does
that mean you have never been able to latch it or close the latches since it
was installed or that it is just difficult? when i put on my cloth top it
took a couple of hours for me and a friend to get it to close for the first
time. and that was in the middle of the summer with full sun heating it up.
i was told to leave it closed for a week and was in fear of opening it for
the first time thinking that i would not be able to ever close it again...
but it was fine. and i did not have to make any adjustments to the latches.

Old March 1st 08, 08:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chuck

Careful use of a hair dryer will do wonders! I SAID CAREFUL!

"It's going to take some time to stretch it out properly, maybe a week
or more if the weather is warm, maybe until next summer if it's cold..."

. 236...

Old March 4th 08, 11:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
mdginzo

On Feb 26, 4:23 pm, XS11E > wrote:
> mdginzo > wrote:
> > My 1995 MIata has a lot of trouble latching the top down. Usually
> > I have to keep it open and use a seperate cover when the weather
> > demands it. Would replacing the latches with new ones solve the
> > problem? It is a new vinyl top from Robbins, but I am wondering
> > it the problem is not in the latches but maybe the top framing
> > itself. Any advice woudl be greatly appreciated.

> How old is the top? Robbins says the top must be installed, put up and
> left up for a couple of days to stretch out. I lowered my brand new
> Robbins top with the glass rear window the first day I got it and put
> it up later that evening. The rear window tore out....

I had the same thing happen. The no-zip glass window top had a defct.
Robbins replaced mine and paid to have it re-installed free of charge.