P0421 code after O2 replacement

Old November 21st 07, 04:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
John Detke

Default P0421 code after O2 replacement

A short while ago I replaced the front O2 sensor
after a CEL showed it was bad. Now (a couple
gas tanks later) I'm getting P0421, indicating
the front (pre-heat) cat has gone bad. Probably
the failing O2 affected the cat, which has 150K
miles. But I'm wondering if this code could
be triggered by a failing 2nd O2 sensor, the one
behind the pre-cat.

Does the P0421 usually just mean replace the cat?

thanks,
--
John F. Detke | "Where dat mommy go?"
| -- James, age 2 when his mom
Felton, CA | slipped away for 2 minutes peace

Old November 22nd 07, 02:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chuck

Remember that the cat is only warrenited for 80,000, so, from the mfrs
standpoint, it should fail at about 100,000 so that you buy a new one, or
trade/sell the car.

In other words, the cat may actually be bad. Remember that aftermarket
midpipes with cat are less expensive than the factory part.
(I'm not saying that they are CARB approved)

Old February 18th 08, 09:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
greggthomas

> GUEST wrote:
> A short while ago I replaced the front O2 sensor
> after a CEL showed it was bad. Now (a couple
> gas tanks later) I'm getting P0421, indicating
> the front (pre-heat) cat has gone bad. Probably
> the failing O2 affected the cat, which has 150K
> miles. But I'm wondering if this code could
> be triggered by a failing 2nd O2 sensor, the one
> behind the pre-cat.
>
> Does the P0421 usually just mean replace the cat?
>

> thanks,
> --
> John F. Detke | "Where dat mommy go?"
> | -- James, age 2 when his mom
> Felton, CA | slipped away for 2 minutes peace

On my A6
Avant, I have been getting these same codes since at least 80K in
2004. P0421 (Pri Cat Bank 1), P0431 (Pri Cat Bank 2), and P1423
(secondary air flow too low bank 1) always show up 1 or 2 days after
being cleared.

I can guarandamtee you these cats did not go bad at 80K.

How to know? I always knew those emissions tests in Denver would be
good for something. In 2004 at 66K, my hydrocarbons were 0.07 gm/mi
and NOx was 0.2 gm/mi. In 2006, at 136K HC were 0.13 gm/mi an NOx 0.3
gm/mi. Pass/fail cutpoints are 1.2 for HC and 3.0 for NOx. This car is
pretty darn clean from an emissions standpoint.

If the cat was shot, HC would be much higher, trust me, people I know
who have had bad cats have failed the emissions test hands down. Even
if my cat is bad, why would I replace it if my car runs that clean?
That makes no sense.

I need another emissions test this year (177K) so will do that before
taking to my mechanic this week. I will try to have him do a pre-
post- cat temperature reading.

The fuel economy on this car has always ranged from 20-22 mpg, so I
don't believe it is an O2 sensor. I believe it is a secondary air
leak issue that is of very minor concern (except for that damn
CEL/MIL :x ). Hope to have a diagnostic on that this week.

Will let you know what transpires.....

Old February 19th 08, 07:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chuck

If you have a california style cat system-- the front cat does have a
history of high failure rates.

That aside, the 99 manual lists these possible causes for the P0421 code in
the following order.
Warm Up Cat
exhaust system leak
Front O2 sensor
Rear O2 Sensor
Mass air flow sensor
Throttle position sensor
Vehicle Speed sensor.
The process of elimination in the manual involves use of Mazda dealer
specific equipment.
The presence or absence of other codes may help eliminate some of the
posibilities, as should normal
indications of the speedometer, etc.
Not a few have changed out the calif spec exhaust system to federal spec,
eliminating the warmup cat.

Old March 8th 08, 06:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Is there any information on changing a California car to Federal spec on the
Internet, or does anyone sell a kit? I have a CA car with a bad warm-up cat
(due to a couple of misfires caused by a bad coil) and I'm in AZ, so I'd
rather simplify the system rather than install a part with a history of
going bad on people. Or, does anyone know of an aftermarket warm-up cat?
Thanks for any info you can provide,
Mark