tires snow

Old December 15th 05, 06:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default tires snow

> Got through the panic of buying snow tires
> (just any snow tire would not do...."it is the ride stupid" ... and
> using my wife's car to carry the four originals back home for

storage.

living in Wisconsin....
bought all season goodyear eagle hp ultra plus tires and 70lbs of
weight in trunk seems to work ok for snow.
huh?

dave

Old December 15th 05, 08:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

dave wrote:

> > Got through the panic of buying snow tires
> > (just any snow tire would not do...."it is the ride stupid" ... and
> > using my wife's car to carry the four originals back home for

> storage.
>

> living in Wisconsin....
> bought all season goodyear eagle hp ultra plus tires and 70lbs of
> weight in trunk seems to work ok for snow.
> huh?

Not a good idea. Cheap steel wheels and good Blizzaks on all four corners
works best. Putting extra weight in the trunk just adds inertia to a
slide. If you're going to add *any* weight, put it in the passenger seat.

Iva & Belle.)
'90B Classic Red.)
#3 winkin' Miata with Blizzaks on all four corners

Old December 16th 05, 06:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

That seems a good point, closest thing to 50 / 50 weight distribution is
probably best. I know that there's load transfered forward during braking
and that alters the f to b distribution somewhat but I wouldn't think it
significant compared to adding the extra inertia. I'm sure that Leon has
already got the calculator on it ;-)

Chris
99BBB

Old December 16th 05, 02:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

I just keep my gas tank full when the snow is coming...

--
Scott Streeter

http://www.wpi.edu/~ss/
Old December 16th 05, 04:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

I put four Toyo Observe (Garit HT) on mine (Blizzaks were sold out for
miles around when I got the idea (after talking a 270 degree turn when I
need only a simple left hand turn on the "summer" tires).

I did a lot of research, and these seem to come out near the top. With
already one snow storm and one ice/snow storm, they worked pretty good
with almost equal performance of dry road to the Turanza's (original
equipment for 2005's). But it is only the start of winter in the Northeast!

Tomorrow 40 degrees....top down!!!!

Old December 16th 05, 06:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

this may be true, but...
the added weight in the trunk allows the rear treads to bite deeper,
helping to stop the sliding. If the treads dont bite the tires dont
work. right?

david

Old December 17th 05, 02:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

"Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote:

>That seems a good point, closest thing to 50 / 50 weight distribution is
>probably best. I know that there's load transfered forward during braking
>and that alters the f to b distribution somewhat but I wouldn't think it
>significant compared to adding the extra inertia. I'm sure that Leon has
>already got the calculator on it ;-)

Not really. Some things do not require a calculator. Even if the sack
of salt (or whatever) was on the roof and the wheelbase 3 feet, how many
g's of acceleration would you reach on iced roads? And how is a 50 lb
bag of salt going to affect a 2650 lb car measurably, whatever wheels it
may be put on?

Scott's advice to just keep his gas tank full is good, but I have a
better one. Just wear very, *very*, heavy clothes. Note that much
of this weight will be very high above the ground and press down on
both axles. It really helps!

Leon

>Chris
>99BBB

>>> storage.
>>>

>>> living in Wisconsin....
>>> bought all season goodyear eagle hp ultra plus tires and 70lbs of
>>> weight in trunk seems to work ok for snow.
>>> huh?

>> Not a good idea. Cheap steel wheels and good Blizzaks on all four corners
>> works best. Putting extra weight in the trunk just adds inertia to a
>> slide. If you're going to add *any* weight, put it in the passenger seat.
>>
>> Iva & Belle.)
>> '90B Classic Red.)
>> #3 winkin' Miata with Blizzaks on all four corners

http://www.dommelen.net/miata
EXIT THE INTERSTATES (Jamie Jensen)
Old December 17th 05, 08:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Not really. Some things do not require a calculator. Even if the
sack
of salt (or whatever) was on the roof and the wheelbase 3 feet, how
many
g's of acceleration would you reach on iced roads? And how is a 50 lb
bag of salt going to affect a 2650 lb car measurably, whatever wheels
it
may be put on?

-------
are you saying that xtra weight over the drive wheels doesnt work in
snow?
dave

Old December 17th 05, 08:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

In article . com>,
"dave" > wrote:

> are you saying that xtra weight over the drive wheels doesnt work in
> snow?

What he's saying is that 50 pounds is not enough to make much difference
one way or the other. It works, but not in the way you want it to work.
It also increases the mass that must be accelerated, turned, and
stopped, in the most detrimental location, without adding any more grip
to the front tires. Since grip does not increase proportionately to
mass, adding weight is a net loss. This is why the old saw "heavy cars
hold the road better" is bunk. It's why most of the vehicles you see in
ditches are SUVs.

Instead of salt, carry a bag of kitty litter or sand. At least you'll
have something you can throw under the rear tires if you get stuck. If
you don't want to get stuck in the first place, buy winter tires.

--
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis
Old December 18th 05, 07:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

What he's saying is that 50 pounds is not enough to make much
difference
one way or the other. It works, but not in the way you want it to work.

It also increases the mass

what about the 4x4 trick of reducing air pressure in tires to improve
traction? does that work on miatas?
dave