Cars play songs on flash drive in alphabetical order by file name.

Old May 18th 19, 09:12 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair,alt.windows7.general
micky

Default Cars play songs on flash drive in alphabetical order by file name.

In alt.windows7.general, on Wed, 15 May 2019 22:28:13 +0300, micky
> wrote:

>It's sort of like the fact that Windows file managers will sort on any
>field hat has a column header, but they will not display files in the
>order in which they appear on the HDD or the flash drive. For that you
>need DOS and the option iirc dir /u for unsorted.

Just checked and /u gives sUmmary information.

In TCC/Le and Take Command (command enhancers. First one free, both more
powerful than DOS):

Display order is controlled by /o and unsorted is /o:u

It might be the same in DOS, but I find little reason to use straight
DOS anymore, unless I'm using someone else's computer.
Old May 18th 19, 02:45 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair,alt.windows7.general
J. P. Gilliver (John)

In message >, micky
> writes:
>In alt.windows7.general, on Wed, 15 May 2019 22:28:13 +0300, micky
> wrote:
>

>>It's sort of like the fact that Windows file managers will sort on any
>>field hat has a column header, but they will not display files in the
>>order in which they appear on the HDD or the flash drive. For that you
>>need DOS and the option iirc dir /u for unsorted.

>Just checked and /u gives sUmmary information.
>
>In TCC/Le and Take Command (command enhancers. First one free, both more
>powerful than DOS):
>
>Display order is controlled by /o and unsorted is /o:u
>
>It might be the same in DOS, but I find little reason to use straight
>DOS anymore, unless I'm using someone else's computer.

I've just tried - the "DOS" in my system ("ver" returns "Microsoft
Windows [Version 6.1.7601]") doesn't mention u in the help returned by
dir /?, and if I enter dir /o:u, says

Parameter format not correct - "u".

JPG
--

Petitions are still unfair. [Still need over 9000 signatures by tomorrow )-:!]
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/232770 www.255soft.uk #fairpetitions

Society has the right to punish wrongdoing; it doesn't have the right to make
punishment a form of entertainment. This is where things have gone wrong:
humiliating other people has become both a blood sport and a narcotic.
- Joe Queenan, RT 2015/6/27-7/3
Old May 19th 19, 06:14 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair,alt.windows7.general
Mark Lloyd

[snip]

> +1 on DriveSort - I remember having a little experimentation to find
> which type of sort worked best. Very much needed in Audio book MP3s
> where the right order is essential.. C+

I seem to have had a lot of encounters with the helpful idiot, some
device that insists on messing up directories that are already in order
(by alphabetizing).

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Religion is no more the parent of morality than an incubator is the
mother of a chicken." [Lemuel K. Washburn, _Is The Bible Worth Reading
And Other Essays_]
Old May 24th 19, 01:08 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair,alt.windows7.general
micky

In rec.autos.tech, on Sat, 18 May 2019 14:45:57 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver
(John)" > wrote:

>In message >, micky
> writes:
>>In alt.windows7.general, on Wed, 15 May 2019 22:28:13 +0300, micky
> wrote:
>>

>>>It's sort of like the fact that Windows file managers will sort on any
>>>field hat has a column header, but they will not display files in the
>>>order in which they appear on the HDD or the flash drive. For that you
>>>need DOS and the option iirc dir /u for unsorted.

>>Just checked and /u gives sUmmary information.
>>
>>In TCC/Le and Take Command (command enhancers. First one free, both more
>>powerful than DOS):
>>
>>Display order is controlled by /o and unsorted is /o:u
>>
>>It might be the same in DOS, but I find little reason to use straight
>>DOS anymore, unless I'm using someone else's computer.

>I've just tried - the "DOS" in my system ("ver" returns "Microsoft
>Windows [Version 6.1.7601]") doesn't mention u in the help returned by
>dir /?, and if I enter dir /o:u, says
>
> Parameter format not correct - "u".
>
>JPG
>--

Thanks for checking that out. That's why I like TCC/Le so much.

I think I bought Norton Utilities about 25 years ago and it came with
Norton DOS, which was their name for 4DOS which was the predecessor for
Take Command and TCC/Le. The second one is free and once installed
requires no maintenance (Well, maybe I had to fiddle to get the window
to fill the screen, but that would have been true of regular DOS also.)

Take Command has even more features, I guess, but I can't imagine what
else I could use. TCC/le already has more than I can remember.

I think it's interesting that unsorted gets so little attention. I
would think that would be the standard format and you'd have to do
something to get things sorted.

In this case with the flashdrive, since the songs were written to the
flashdrive in the order they were recorded to the HDD blank drive,
unsorted and sorted by ascending date/time are the same thing, but the
car radios didn't have a way to sort by date or time. And when there
were over 600 songs, it seems like a bit of work for the radio to sort
things alphabetically, but that's what all but one of the radios did.

OTOH, my $16 gizmo that plugs into the cigarette lighter and lets me
plug in a flashdrive and transmits on FM to the car radio has no trouble
playing the songs in the order they are stored on the flashdrive.

Old May 24th 19, 01:11 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair,alt.windows7.general
micky

In rec.autos.tech, on Wed, 15 May 2019 15:50:27 -0400, Big Al
> wrote:

>On 5/15/19 3:28 PM, micky wrote:
>> Windows relevance at the end.
>>
>> Last year I posted about the 3 cars I ended up having in one 2 month
>> rental period, and about the flash drive I had made that had about 800
>> songs on it from the 50's and early 60's, that I recorded off of
>> 181.FM-oldies, one of several internet radio station from the same
>> company, with a little advertising. Easy to play and record using
>> RadioMaximus, a free program. (the paid version will do scheduled
>> recording, but I just let it run for 2 days.)
>>
>> And it will record each song separately but the first two seconds of
>> each song are attached to the previous song, and the only way to hear it
>> correctly is to play the songs in the order they were recorded.**
>>
>> And I said how the Nissan Micra and the Hyudai i10 insisted on playing
>> them in order alphabetically by file name. So all the Brenda Lee songs
>> played in a row, etc. But then I got a Honda something or other and it
>> worked fine. (At home I use a cigarrette lighter player FM-transmitter
>> and that works fine too.)
>>
>> So this year I started with a Mazda 2 and iirc it worked fine, but the
>> key was stolen and the next car is a 2019 Honda Jazz (Fit) and it has 4
>> options for play order. BUT NONE are the order in which the songs
>> reside on the flashdrive. It's either random, or in order by file name,
>> or repeating the same song over and over, or one other choice, so last
>> year the Honda worked fine but this year it doesn't work right anymore.
>>
>> It's sort of like the fact that Windows file managers will sort on any
>> field hat has a column header, but they will not display files in the
>> order in which they appear on the HDD or the flash drive. For that you
>> need DOS and the option iirc dir /u for unsorted.
>>

>> **In fact, since in File Managers I display most files with the newest
>> at the top, it would copy them that way to the flash drive. I had to
>> reorder them with the oldest at the top to copy them in the order
>> recorded so they might play in the order recorded.
>>

>Can you use some bulk rename utility to number then so the filenames
>have a 3 digit # in front of the real file name? Bulk Rename Utility
>is one that comes to mind.
>
>I do that a lot, as I like my mp3's I lull myself to bed with to be in a
>certain order too.
>
>Al

BRU worked great, Big Al. It's impressive. Only took 4 or 5 seconds
to rename 600 files on the flashdrive, and the flashdrive played
perfectly afterwards.

I also had an earlier section I didn't like anymore and Bulk Rename
Utility has a way to change extensions, so I changed all the .mp3's to
..zp3.

He seems to have thought of everything.

Old May 24th 19, 09:25 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair,alt.windows7.general
J. P. Gilliver (John)

In message >, micky
> writes:
>In rec.autos.tech, on Sat, 18 May 2019 14:45:57 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver
>(John)" > wrote:
>
>>In message >, micky
> writes:

[]
>>>Display order is controlled by /o and unsorted is /o:u
>>>
>>>It might be the same in DOS, but I find little reason to use straight
>>>DOS anymore, unless I'm using someone else's computer.

>>I've just tried - the "DOS" in my system ("ver" returns "Microsoft
>>Windows [Version 6.1.7601]") doesn't mention u in the help returned by
>>dir /?, and if I enter dir /o:u, says
>>
>> Parameter format not correct - "u".
>>
>>JPG
>>--

>Thanks for checking that out. That's why I like TCC/Le so much.

You're welcome.

>I think I bought Norton Utilities about 25 years ago and it came with
>Norton DOS, which was their name for 4DOS which was the predecessor for
>Take Command and TCC/Le. The second one is free and once installed
>requires no maintenance (Well, maybe I had to fiddle to get the window
>to fill the screen, but that would have been true of regular DOS also.)

Any chance of a URL? Sounds potentially useful. (Though I'd probably
forget I had it after a while!)

>Take Command has even more features, I guess, but I can't imagine what
>else I could use. TCC/le already has more than I can remember.
>
>I think it's interesting that unsorted gets so little attention. I
>would think that would be the standard format and you'd have to do
>something to get things sorted.

I don't know what "DOS" dir actually does if you don't give it the /o:
parameter at all.
[]
>OTOH, my $16 gizmo that plugs into the cigarette lighter and lets me
>plug in a flashdrive and transmits on FM to the car radio has no trouble
>playing the songs in the order they are stored on the flashdrive.

(Not relevant, but it does amaze me how electronics has progressed. I
already had something to play MP3s [my SatNav/GPS], which I played
through a cassette adapter; when I had to change car, and got one that
didn't have a cassette slot, I was amazed to be able to get a fully
synthesized stereo FM transmitter gizmo for 3 pounds 20 [probably $3 in
US] - even with a rechargeable battery and charging circuitry built in.
[Though my faith was somewhat restored when I found it has the channels
transposed {which doesn't really bother me}.])

>>Petitions are still unfair. [Still need over 9000 signatures by tomorrow )-:!]
>>https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/232770 www.255soft.uk #fairpetitions

Oops - I had been deleting that for non-UK 'groups. The petition only
got 330 signatures in the six months anyway )-: [first threshold is
10,000 where you get a government reply (100,000 gets you a debate in
parliament)].

The losses on both sides at Borodino [1812], 70 miles from Moscow, are the
equivalent of a jumbo jet crashing into an area of six square miles every five
minutes for the whole ten hours of the battle, killing or wounding everyone on
board. - Andrew Roberts on Napoleon, RT 2015/6/13-19
Old May 25th 19, 02:57 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair,alt.windows7.general
micky

In rec.autos.tech, on Fri, 24 May 2019 21:25:42 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver
(John)" > wrote:

>In message >, micky
> writes:
>>In rec.autos.tech, on Sat, 18 May 2019 14:45:57 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver
>>(John)" > wrote:
>>
>>>In message >, micky
> writes:

>[]

>>>I've just tried - the "DOS" in my system ("ver" returns "Microsoft
>>>Windows [Version 6.1.7601]") doesn't mention u in the help returned by
>>>dir /?, and if I enter dir /o:u, says
>>>
>>> Parameter format not correct - "u".
>>>
>>>JPG
>>>--

>>Thanks for checking that out. That's why I like TCC/Le so much.

>You're welcome.
>>
>>I think I bought Norton Utilities about 25 years ago and it came with
>>Norton DOS, which was their name for 4DOS which was the predecessor for
>>Take Command and TCC/Le. The second one is free and once installed
>>requires no maintenance (Well, maybe I had to fiddle to get the window
>>to fill the screen, but that would have been true of regular DOS also.)

>Any chance of a URL? Sounds potentially useful. (Though I'd probably
>forget I had it after a while!)

https://jpsoft.com/products/tcc-le.html
https://jpsoft.com/all-downloads/downloads.html TCC/Le is the free
one.

>>Take Command has even more features, I guess, but I can't imagine what
>>else I could use. TCC/le already has more than I can remember.
>>
>>I think it's interesting that unsorted gets so little attention. I
>>would think that would be the standard format and you'd have to do
>>something to get things sorted.

>I don't know what "DOS" dir actually does if you don't give it the /o:
>parameter at all.

Alphabetical by file name.

>[]
>>OTOH, my $16 gizmo that plugs into the cigarette lighter and lets me
>>plug in a flashdrive and transmits on FM to the car radio has no trouble
>>playing the songs in the order they are stored on the flashdrive.

I left something out. When watching the screen with RadioMaximus, you
can see that the caption, the song title, changes a little before the
song is over, and at least with the music stations I listen to (100FM
and 181FM), the songs are stored individually, but the first 2 or 3
seconds of each song is at the end of one file, and the next file starts
2 or 3 seconds into the song.

Well, with the $16 gizmo, I can't hear the transition at all, even when
I try, and I tried several times (and I didn't try 100's of times, but
would have noticed anyhow). It goes straight from one file to the next.
(If the songs didn't span files you'd expect a moment of silence between
them, but here there is no silence. It sounds perfect.)

But with every car radio, Mazda, Honda, Nissan, Hyundai, there was a
moment, a full second, of silence or maybe not even silence, but a tiny
thud or click, 2 or 3 seconds into every song.

Cheap is sometimes better.

I can't try it with my 2005 Toyota becaus it has no USB input (other
than one or another gizmo.)

>(Not relevant, but it does amaze me how electronics has progressed. I
>already had something to play MP3s [my SatNav/GPS], which I played
>through a cassette adapter; when I had to change car, and got one that
>didn't have a cassette slot, I was amazed to be able to get a fully
>synthesized stereo FM transmitter gizmo for 3 pounds 20 [probably $3 in
>US] - even with a rechargeable battery and charging circuitry built in.
>[Though my faith was somewhat restored when I found it has the channels
>transposed {which doesn't really bother me}.])

You're right.

>>>Petitions are still unfair. [Still need over 9000 signatures by tomorrow )-:!]
>>>https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/232770 www.255soft.uk #fairpetitions

>Oops - I had been deleting that for non-UK 'groups. The petition only
>got 330 signatures in the six months anyway )-: [first threshold is
>10,000 where you get a government reply (100,000 gets you a debate in
>parliament)].

Wow.
Old May 25th 19, 01:39 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair,alt.windows7.general
J. P. Gilliver (John)

In message >, micky
> writes:
>In rec.autos.tech, on Fri, 24 May 2019 21:25:42 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver
>(John)" > wrote:

[]
>>You're welcome.
>>>
>>>I think I bought Norton Utilities about 25 years ago and it came with
>>>Norton DOS, which was their name for 4DOS which was the predecessor for
>>>Take Command and TCC/Le. The second one is free and once installed
>>>requires no maintenance (Well, maybe I had to fiddle to get the window
>>>to fill the screen, but that would have been true of regular DOS also.)

>>Any chance of a URL? Sounds potentially useful. (Though I'd probably
>>forget I had it after a while!)

>https://jpsoft.com/products/tcc-le.html
>https://jpsoft.com/all-downloads/downloads.html TCC/Le is the free
>one.

Thanks for those. (I wondered why you gave two until I looked at the
first one: in my browser at least, the first one - that tells me about
it - almost uniquely, has no link to the download one!)
[]
>But with every car radio, Mazda, Honda, Nissan, Hyundai, there was a
>moment, a full second, of silence or maybe not even silence, but a tiny
>thud or click, 2 or 3 seconds into every song.

When I play mp3s on my SatNav, it plays a little blip at the start of
any file, that comes from a few seconds into the file.

>Cheap is sometimes better.

I've often found that!
[]
>>Oops - I had been deleting that for non-UK 'groups. The petition only
>>got 330 signatures in the six months anyway )-: [first threshold is
>>10,000 where you get a government reply (100,000 gets you a debate in
>>parliament)].

>Wow.

It's not a bad system: tends to get misused as a measure of public
opinion (which it isn't - it only counts supporters for any petition,
not those against [that's what my petition was about]), but at least it
gives _some_ input for the populace. (The "debate" at 100k is _not_
necessarily - usually isn't - in the main chamber as seen on TV; it's
usually in a committee room somewhere. [And usually a better debate for
that.])

<Squawk> Pieces of eight!
<Squawk> Pieces of eight!
<Squawk> Pieces of nine!
<SYSTEM HALTED: parroty error!>
Old May 25th 19, 01:58 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair,alt.windows7.general
nospam[_4_]

In article >, J. P. Gilliver (John)

> >>Any chance of a URL? Sounds potentially useful. (Though I'd probably
> >>forget I had it after a while!)

> >https://jpsoft.com/products/tcc-le.html
> >https://jpsoft.com/all-downloads/downloads.html TCC/Le is the free
> >one.

> Thanks for those. (I wondered why you gave two until I looked at the
> first one: in my browser at least, the first one - that tells me about
> it - almost uniquely, has no link to the download one!)

yes it does.

there are two download links, a green button and an orange button, for
32 & 64 bit versions, and appear at the top *and* the bottom of the
page. it's impossible to miss.

there is also a separate download link at the top right of the page,
which goes to the second link listed above for all of their products.
that link is also a drop-down menu to directly download the specific
product.