Miata deficiencies.

Old September 8th 05, 12:29 AM
XS11E

Lanny Chambers > wrote in:

>> > IIRC, the Stingray didn't have a real trunk, and GM wasn't
>> > particularly concerned about the car's weight. Not everyone shares
>> > your concept of good design.

>> The top was/and is a good design, probably the best manually operated
>> convertible top ever.
>>
>> Damn it's hard to discuss anything with people who read what they want
>> rather than what's written. ;-)

> Au contraire. I only meant that the top was heavy, and its convenient
> stowage came at the expense of luggage volume and access. If you don't
> care about weight or luggage, then it was a brilliant design. Of course,
> if you did care about those things, you probably wouldn't have owned a
> Corvette...

The top weighed about the same as the Miata top and the stowage took about
the same amount of space as the Miata's top. The luggage space was about the
same although much less accessable. As far as weight, my 1992 Miata weighs
2,216 lbs, my Corvette weighed 3,000 lbs. Considering the horsepower was
260% greater the weight wasn't much of a handicap. If I cared about weight
OR luggage space I would not have owned a Corvette nor would I own a Miata.

You really don't know much about Corvettes, do you?

Old September 8th 05, 12:36 AM
marika

Christopher Muto wrote:
> that is nice.

I mostly discussed this in other posts.

>i really like the look when folded down.

which is cool.

mk5000

"for the first time in my life, I autographed body parts. These were
the back of, like, 10 year old boys' hands. I signed flip flops, swim
shorts- I signed until the sharpie ran out of ink"--scott van pelt

Old September 8th 05, 01:24 AM
Leon van Dommelen

XS11E > wrote:

>There's no lack of build quality.

Hum. I will just have to take your word for it, having never had a Corvette
and zero desire to ever get one. However, a good engineering approach would
be copied, legally or illegally.

>I'm shocked that someone with a white Miata would talk about build quality
>when we all know that white Miatas are the absolute worst in reliability,
>even with the photon drag advantage.

Actually, this is not true. They have the lowest heat stress on the mechanical
parts due to photon energy reflection.

However, there are a couple of exceptions. They are easy to damage when you
are digging them out of a snow bank. Also, if you replace parts by aftermarket
ones, reliability may suffer. In fact, my experience is that if you replace
every OEM part with an aftermarket one, there is a noticeable reduction in
reliability.

Leon
http://www.dommelen.net/miata
EXIT THE INTERSTATES (Jamie Jensen)
Old September 8th 05, 01:41 AM
Leon van Dommelen

Lanny Chambers > wrote:

>> > IIRC, the Stingray didn't have a real trunk, and GM wasn't particularly
>> > concerned about the car's weight. Not everyone shares your concept of
>> > good design.

>> The top was/and is a good design, probably the best manually operated
>> convertible top ever.
>>
>> Damn it's hard to discuss anything with people who read what they want rather
>> than what's written. ;-)

>Au contraire. I only meant that the top was heavy, and its convenient
>stowage came at the expense of luggage volume and access. If you don't
>care about weight or luggage, then it was a brilliant design.

Aha! Just like I said I suspected.

Of course, I have always thought of the Corvette as the symbol of the USA's
failure to produce a real sports car that people outside the USA would
take seriously. So, it is very good to see that the car did have a lot
of advanced convenience features like nifty power windows, a heavy
luxury top, and, I assume, absolutely great cupholders that made it
a much more civilized car.

Leon
--
Leon van Dommelen Bozo, the White 96 Sebring Miata ,)
Old September 8th 05, 07:49 AM
Vern

Where did you move here from? Nobody was born here. <G> I'm in Glendale
and own a 2004 Mazdaspeed I purchased last month.

Old September 8th 05, 01:27 PM
josh

Leon van Dommelen wrote:

> Of course, I have always thought of the Corvette as the symbol of the USA's
> failure to produce a real sports car that people outside the USA would
> take seriously.

Wow ,,,

I guess only on the Miata ng can you easily get away with saying that.

But of course you are absolutely right. Horsepower does not a sports car make.
Old September 8th 05, 02:38 PM
Lanny Chambers

In article <1126182849.283096@sj-nntpcache-3>, josh >
wrote:

> Horsepower does not a sports car make.

Until the C3, I'd always considered the Corvette more of a factory-built
hotrod than a sports car--a cool car for what it was, but not really
intended to compete with Jaguars and such. I admired the Vette, but
never wanted one. Just like Harley-Davidsons: I respect them as art, but
have no desire to own one.

I suspect its Le Mans performance has changed the Corvette's image
somewhat, even in Europe. But I've never seen a Vette being used as a
sports car outside of a race track--their owners seem to cruise a lot,
but have little interest in flogging twisty country roads. Again, like
Harleys; I pass them with a friendly wave and move on.

---
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis
Old September 9th 05, 03:06 AM
The Millers

> Don't know, mine's glass but I hate having to unzip it to lower the top.

You don't have to unzip it, roll up a beach towel (not a real big, thick
one -- one with some mileage on it) and lay it on the outside of the window
as you fold the top. Prevents the plastic from getting a crease -- problem
solved.

Old September 9th 05, 03:07 AM
XS11E

"The Millers" > wrote in:

>> Don't know, mine's glass but I hate having to unzip it to lower the top.
>>

> You don't have to unzip it, roll up a beach towel (not a real big, thick
> one -- one with some mileage on it) and lay it on the outside of the window
> as you fold the top. Prevents the plastic from getting a crease -- problem
> solved.

I do have to unzip it, read the post. It isn't plastic and it doesn't fold!