Miata deficiencies.

Old September 6th 05, 11:14 PM
Grant Edwards

On 2005-09-06, XS11E > wrote:

> The Corvette windows went up or down in about 1/2 the time of
> any other car. Don't know how they did that but surely it
> could be copied?

Just a guess, but perhaps the manufacturer's insurance
companies would like power windows that went up fast. The
faster the windows go up, the more people get hurt by them?

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! This MUST be a good
at party -- My RIB CAGE is
Old September 6th 05, 11:44 PM
Ken Lyons

"XS11E" > wrote
> The most important would be the top. I once had a 1964 Corvette which had
> the easiest to use and best designed top I've ever encountered. It went

up
> effortlessly, had no rain rails to cause problems and hid itself under a

hard
> cover when lowered. Why couldn't Mazda design a similar top mechanism?

I think Mazda did better with the NC top:
http://tinyurl.com/5ko4a
--
Ken Lyons '97 Brilliant Black/'90 Classic Red
Inside the Beltway

Old September 7th 05, 12:05 AM
XS11E

Grant Edwards > wrote in:

> On 2005-09-06, XS11E > wrote:
>
>> The Corvette windows went up or down in about 1/2 the time of
>> any other car. Don't know how they did that but surely it could be
>> copied?

> Just a guess, but perhaps the manufacturer's insurance
> companies would like power windows that went up fast. The
> faster the windows go up, the more people get hurt by them?

I wouldn't be surprised but they do stop if you get your self caught in the
thing as it's going up....

Old September 7th 05, 01:13 AM
Leon van Dommelen

XS11E > wrote:

>Zog The Undeniable > wrote in:
>
>> XS11E wrote:
>>
>>> The other day I bought my usual losing lottery ticket and asked myself
>>> what I'd get to replace my 1992 1600 pretty much stock Miata if I
>>> won.....
>>>
>>> The answer I came up with is I'm almost completely satisfied with the
>>> car, it does what I want, seems pretty much trouble free and is always
>>> fun to drive so what would I fix if I were designing cars for Miata?
>>>
>>> The most important would be the top. I once had a 1964 Corvette which
>>> had the easiest to use and best designed top I've ever encountered. It
>>> went up effortlessly, had no rain rails to cause problems and hid
>>> itself under a hard cover when lowered. Why couldn't Mazda design a
>>> similar top mechanism?

>> Because the MX-5/Miata was always meant to be affordable.

>Wanna bet the Corvette top is cheaper to build than the Miata?

I would agree the Corvette top must be cheaper than a whole Miata.

Anyway, it is self-evident that Corvette top must have had
major problems with cost, space requirements, or function, or it
would have been used on every car by now.

A top apparently retracting in its own waterproof compartment would
probably have several of those major problems.

I am happy with my 1999 top, though when the AC was overheating the
engine in the deserts, a zip-down rear window would have been nice.

>>> Next, why did nobody except Corvette have those really neat power
>>> windows that went up and down faster than any others?

There is a race? Whichever sports car has the windows that go down
fastest is the best sport scar?

>>> Was there some
>>> kind of patent that won't allow anyone else to adopt the system?

You can pay royalties on patents.

>>> Even
>>> other Chevrolets have never AFAIK used the same system, why?

The reliability was not even up to GM standards?

GM got tired of being sued by people getting limbs, necks,
faces, kids, cut in the lightning-quick windows?

Especially when the lack of build quality meant that these windows
would usually operate erroneously?

Leon
http://www.dommelen.net/miata
EXIT THE INTERSTATES (Jamie Jensen)
Old September 7th 05, 02:07 AM
XS11E

(Leon van Dommelen) wrote in:

> XS11E > wrote:

>>> Because the MX-5/Miata was always meant to be affordable.

>>Wanna bet the Corvette top is cheaper to build than the Miata?

> I would agree the Corvette top must be cheaper than a whole Miata.
>
> Anyway, it is self-evident that Corvette top must have had
> major problems with cost, space requirements, or function, or it
> would have been used on every car by now.

It's a manual top, it could never be used on anything GM built BUT a
Corvette.

It has no problems with cost, space requirements or function as I believe the
current Corvette convertibles use the same top as did the first StingRays.

> There is a race? Whichever sports car has the windows that go down
> fastest is the best sport scar?

Nope, which ever car of any kind that has the windows that go up and down the
fastest is the most convenient car.

> The reliability was not even up to GM standards?

Solid as a rock, never had any problems nor have I heard of other owners
having problems. Much as most GM cars are crap, they do have some things
that others should emulate and those windows are one of them.

BTW, they don't use them on current Corvettes, they use the same window motor
as all their other cars use.

> GM got tired of being sued by people getting limbs, necks,
> faces, kids, cut in the lightning-quick windows?

Never happened. Power windows are made so they can only exert a certain
amount of force going up so the speed at which they travel wouldn't make any
significant difference. I think they're gone because it's cheaper to use the
same part for all their cars.

> Especially when the lack of build quality meant that these windows
> would usually operate erroneously?

There's no lack of build quality.

I'm shocked that someone with a white Miata would talk about build quality
when we all know that white Miatas are the absolute worst in reliability,
even with the photon drag advantage.

Old September 7th 05, 06:22 AM
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
XS11E > wrote:

> If you've never worked the top on a 63-67 Corvette you'd be
> surprised at what a very good design it is

IIRC, the Stingray didn't have a real trunk, and GM wasn't particularly
concerned about the car's weight. Not everyone shares your concept of
good design.

---
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis
Old September 7th 05, 01:32 PM
josh

XS11E wrote:
> josh > wrote in:
>

> The Corvette windows went up or down in about 1/2 the time of any other car.

Wow, I think this is turning into a "Corvette is the fastest" thread.

I bet the way they made them go that fast was two things:

1. leaded fuel
2. 427

Old September 7th 05, 06:25 PM
Christopher Muto

that is nice. i really like the look when folded down. having the top face
up instead up upside down makes for a nice look without the use of a boot.
for those that could not use the link go to the bottom of this page to see
the video...
http://tinyurl.com/8xuze

Old September 7th 05, 09:32 PM
XS11E

Lanny Chambers > wrote in:

> In article >,
> XS11E > wrote:
>
>> If you've never worked the top on a 63-67 Corvette you'd be surprised
>> at what a very good design it is

> IIRC, the Stingray didn't have a real trunk, and GM wasn't particularly
> concerned about the car's weight. Not everyone shares your concept of
> good design.

The top was/and is a good design, probably the best manually operated
convertible top ever.

Damn it's hard to discuss anything with people who read what they want rather
than what's written. ;-)
Old September 7th 05, 11:58 PM
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
XS11E > wrote:

> >> If you've never worked the top on a 63-67 Corvette you'd be surprised
> >> at what a very good design it is

> > IIRC, the Stingray didn't have a real trunk, and GM wasn't particularly
> > concerned about the car's weight. Not everyone shares your concept of
> > good design.

> The top was/and is a good design, probably the best manually operated
> convertible top ever.
>
> Damn it's hard to discuss anything with people who read what they want rather
> than what's written. ;-)

Au contraire. I only meant that the top was heavy, and its convenient
stowage came at the expense of luggage volume and access. If you don't
care about weight or luggage, then it was a brilliant design. Of course,
if you did care about those things, you probably wouldn't have owned a
Corvette...

---
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis