Off Topic question

Old January 18th 11, 11:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_1_]

Default Off Topic question

Don Q wrote:

> On 2011-01-17 23:08:56 -0500, XS11E > said:
>
>> Don Q wrote:
>>
>>> Quiet and comfortable. I agree completely. If this had been my
>>> job, my decision, I would have gone for a 10-year old Lincoln
>>> LS.
>>>
>>> Though someone (sorry, I forgot whose message that was)
>>> indicated that their reliability may be an issue.

>> Me. Compare reliability ratings with the Towncar.

> Sorry for the dumb question, what is a good source for this kind
> of info? The typical car magazines never met a car they didn't
> like...

Consumer Reports, J. D. Power, Edmunds, etc. Just Google "Automobile
Reliability Ratings" and you'll get a bunch of hits.

The Usenet Improvement Project:
Old January 19th 11, 02:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Tim M.

On Jan 12, 10:33*pm, "Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote:
> "Don Q" wrote in message
>
> eb.com...
>
> > On 2011-01-11 21:02:28 -0500, "Chris D'Agnolo" >
> > said:

> >> Well Don, it is an interesting question but I think that to be of much
> >> assistance you'd have to give us a ballpark value. What's your buddy want
> >> to spend? *Also, what kind of driver is he? Is he an enthusiast or a get
> >> me from point A to point B, kind of guy?

> >> A couple clues on this and I think you might get even better (more
> >> focused) responses.

> >> Chris
> >> 99BBB

> > Well, it's not a giant multinational. As I understand it, they like my bud
> > so instead of putting him in a typical fleet purchase, they tried to make
> > an offer to sweeten the deal. I am not privy to all the details.

> > What he would like (e.g. Miata) is not necessarily the ideal vehicle for
> > the job. I would say in this instance comfort, economy, and anonimity (in
> > that order) far outweigh any enthusiast considerations.

> > I don't know how high the company will go. This is a low end managerial
> > position so my guess is below $30K, possibly a lot less.

> ------
> So, he'd like an enthusiast vehicle! Well you previously said he doesn't
> need 4 seats or huge storage space so, I think he should buy a used PRHT
> Miata. I don't think Miatas are on any list of most often stolen vehicles,
> the hard top makes it as secure as a coupe. He can carry a reasonable amount
> of 'stuff' in reasonably good comfort and he can have a freaking blast going
> from one place to another every day! I think you can get a good low mileage
> PRHT for what, $25k.

In the Washington D.C. area you can get new PRHT's for under $25k. I
have a friend who just bought a 1,700 mile certified used 2010 PRHT
for $21.7k. He passed up a new one offered at $23.7K
Old January 20th 11, 04:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

"Tim M." > wrote in message
news:cd5badd8-1b23-45c9-b294-> ------
> So, he'd like an enthusiast vehicle! Well you previously said he doesn't
> need 4 seats or huge storage space so, I think he should buy a used PRHT
> Miata. I don't think Miatas are on any list of most often stolen vehicles,
> the hard top makes it as secure as a coupe. He can carry a reasonable
> amount
> of 'stuff' in reasonably good comfort and he can have a freaking blast
> going
> from one place to another every day! I think you can get a good low
> mileage
> PRHT for what, $25k.

In the Washington D.C. area you can get new PRHT's for under $25k. I
have a friend who just bought a 1,700 mile certified used 2010 PRHT
for $21.7k. He passed up a new one offered at $23.7K

Wow, that's pretty interesting! I'm liking that car more and more. Still out
of my price range for a goof-around / weekend car. Damn!

Chris
99BBB

Old January 20th 11, 05:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_1_]

"Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote:

> Still out of my price range for a goof-around / weekend car.

My price range limits me to vehicles from Tonka or Matchbox
Miniatures... <sigh>

The Usenet Improvement Project:
Old January 20th 11, 08:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Iva

XS11E wrote:
>"Chris D'Agnolo wrote:
>
>> Still out of my price range for a goof-around / weekend car.

> My price range limits me to vehicles from Tonka or Matchbox
> Miniatures... <sigh>

Heck, some days I can't even afford those! :-)

Iva & Vixen
2004 Classic Red
No more winkin' Miata

Old January 22nd 11, 06:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
xyzzy

On Jan 18, 3:31*pm, Don Q wrote:
> On 2011-01-17 23:08:56 -0500, XS11E > said:
>
> > Don Q wrote:

> >> Quiet and comfortable. I agree completely. If this had been my
> >> job, my decision, I would have gone for a 10-year old Lincoln LS.

> >> Though someone (sorry, I forgot whose message that was) indicated
> >> that their reliability may be an issue.

> > Me. *Compare reliability ratings with the Towncar.

> Sorry for the dumb question, what is a good source for this kind of info?
> The typical car magazines never met a car they didn't like...

truedelta.com
Old February 6th 11, 12:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws

"Frank Berger" > wrote in message
> If I had such an opportunity I certainly wouldn't worry about theft. I'd
> just make sure I had enough insurance!

Hi Frank,

are you still driving the Mazdaspeed Miata?

Pat

Old February 6th 11, 08:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Frank Berger[_2_]

pws wrote:
> "Frank Berger" > wrote in message
>> If I had such an opportunity I certainly wouldn't worry about theft.
>> I'd just make sure I had enough insurance!

> Hi Frank,
>
> are you still driving the Mazdaspeed Miata?
>
> Pat

Yes I am. I've put 16" Enkei's on it. I reluctantly got all season tires,
but I sure needed them this week! I've pretty much mastered the 6-speed. I
still plan to put the 3.63 gears in at some point. I've got a mechanic who
claims he can do it for a lot less than the $1000 I figured on. I still
find the lack of room between the clutch and dead pedal exasperating,
though. What could they have been thinking

Old February 7th 11, 05:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

"Frank Berger" > wrote in message I still
> find the lack of room between the clutch and dead pedal exasperating,
> though. What could they have been thinking

Ever seen the average size of a Japanese foot? ;-)
cd
Old February 7th 11, 01:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Frank Berger[_2_]

Chris D'Agnolo wrote:
> "Frank Berger" > wrote in message I still
>> find the lack of room between the clutch and dead pedal exasperating,
>> though. What could they have been thinking
>>

> Ever seen the average size of a Japanese foot? ;-)
> cd

Not sure if this meant entirely in jest or not. I believe I read somewhere
that the average Japanese height is nearly the equal of that of Americans
nowadays, but I suppose they still may tend to have smaller feet. Or in this
case the evidence would be for thinner feet.