Miata Poll - What would you do if your Miata were gone today?

Old July 25th 10, 04:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Frank Berger

Default Miata Poll - What would you do if your Miata were gone today?

pws wrote:
> On 7/23/2010 9:52 PM, Frank Berger wrote:
>> pws wrote:
>>> If you were to lose your current Miata today, be it totaled, stolen,
>>> whatever, and received enough money to cover a replacement, all the
>>> way up to an optioned-out brand-new one, (say $30,000 to be safe),
>>> what would you do:
>>>
>>> buy an older miata and keep the larger money difference?
>>> get a brand-new new one and keep the smaller money difference?
>>> get a different vehicle altogether?
>>> if older, would it be stock or modified? What year?
>>> do something not on my list?
>>>
>>> I am not in this situation, no money anyway. Just curious, and it's
>>> even on-topic! :-)
>>>
>>> For those with multiple miatas, just pick one to be missing.
>>>
>>> Pat

>> Well, you know my answer, since I just went through this exact
>> scenario. My '96 died; I have the wherewithal to buy a new MX-5 if
>> I wanted, but opted for a 2004 MSM. Not sure I did the right thing,
>> but then I never am.

> As much as I want to check out owning a PRHT, I think that you did the
> right thing.
>
> If not, maybe I can buy the MSM from you sometime early next year. :-)
>
> Pat

We shall see.

Old July 25th 10, 12:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Bruno, Copenhagen - Denmark

pws wrote:

> I wonder what the highest dollar/money amount is that has been spent on
> a single Miata, adding purchase price and all modifications like the
> $25,000 engine.

I know for sure a few people have spent 86K on a Miata, since that is
what a NC 2.0 PRHT with metalic paint cost here direct from a Mazda
dealer. So 100K should not be an impossible amount.

In a place with lower taxes I would imagine the German project NC modded
cars with an RX-8 engine could be the most expensive.

Greetings
Bruno
Old July 25th 10, 03:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

"John McGaw" > wrote in message > In my situation the most
realistic thing to do would be to forget the car,
> use the money to finish up the remodeling and landscaping, and drive the
> Subie but nobody every accused me of being a realist...

Good to hear that ;-)

Chris
99BBB

Old July 25th 10, 03:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

"BK" > wrote in message
> I'd be torn between looking for a pristine NA or a new PRHT. Or wait
> until the lose the 'smily face' and get one then.

I think you can get rid of the smiley face now with the Mazdaspeed
(aftermarket) nose piece. Someone correct me if I am wrong but iirc it's
quite good looking. I believe this will take you there. It's not great (the
RX8 nose is great) but at least you loose the clown face. Shame on Mazda for
the clown face (on all it's cars!) Shame!

http://www.mazdamotorsports.com/pdfs/msacc.pdf
Chris
99BBB

Old July 25th 10, 04:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_1_]

"Frank Berger" > wrote:

> Sorry. My wife is recovering from a hip replacement in June and
> previously had both knees replaced. When the pain from the hip
> surgery ebbs away, she will be free to concentrate on her
> arthritic back, for which I'm afraid will be no cure. She will
> have her mobility back, at least. That's something. A lot,
> actually.

Yes, it is and I'm glad it's working for her!

I've been searching ebay and Craig's List for a used spine but I
haven't found any so far. I keep looking......

Yesterday, I began not just one but two things I thought I'd NEVER DO,
both on my list of stuff to avoid at all costs but.... I reached a
point that a funky shoulder caused so much pain and misery I've not
been able to sleep for several weeks and I finally visited the urgent
care center and, after a long discussion with the doctor and exrays of
my neck showing the thoracic spine has degenerated as much as the
lumbar spine I yielded to the thoughts of wonderful, pain free days and
began a program of steroids and oxycodone.

Relief was almost immediate, I slept all night last night and the
shoulder is, to a great extent, working again, the back is better than
it's been in years and....

As you can see, I've typed a bunch and my hands don't hurt at all! I
know I've just started the steroids (Prednisone), we'll see where the 7
day program leaves me.... Most of my objections to narcotics and
steroids are overcome by the fact that both are VERY short term
programs for me (at this point.)

Better living through chemistry!

The Usenet Improvement Project:
Old July 25th 10, 04:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

On 7/24/2010 8:32 PM, Lanny Chambers wrote:
> In >,
> > wrote:
>
>> I wonder what the highest dollar/money amount is that has been spent on
>> a single Miata, adding purchase price and all modifications like the
>> $25,000 engine.

> Have you seen the website of the fellow who put a Jaguar V-12 into his
> Miata? (nope, I don't have a URL handy) By the time he's finished, he
> should be right up there.

Is this the one?

http://www.youtube.com/user/brainsbo.../2/j1ZIIVsUV3U

Pat

Old July 25th 10, 04:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_1_]

Lanny Chambers > wrote:

> Have you seen the website of the fellow who put a Jaguar V-12 into
> his Miata? (nope, I don't have a URL handy) By the time he's
> finished, he should be right up there.

I would think that would be a bad idea, the Jag is longer than the
Chevy and is 326ci in basic form (at least that's what was in my 1985
XJS), it's also pretty expensive to modify compared to the small block
Chevy.

I'm guilty of hating Chevy almost as much as I hate licorice but there
are times when Chevy makes sense..... For example, look at the problems
of fitting the intake of the MUCH superior Ford small blocks under the
Miata hood as compared with the Chevy.

The Usenet Improvement Project:
Old July 25th 10, 04:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

On 7/25/2010 9:40 AM, Chris D'Agnolo wrote:

> "BK" > wrote in message
>> I'd be torn between looking for a pristine NA or a new PRHT. Or wait
>> until the lose the 'smily face' and get one then.

> I think you can get rid of the smiley face now with the Mazdaspeed
> (aftermarket) nose piece. Someone correct me if I am wrong but iirc it's
> quite good looking. I believe this will take you there. It's not great
> (the RX8 nose is great) but at least you loose the clown face. Shame on
> Mazda for the clown face (on all it's cars!) Shame!
>
> http://www.mazdamotorsports.com/pdfs/msacc.pdf
> Chris
> 99BBB

I agree that it looks a lot better with the Mazdaspeed piece than the
clown face. I guess most people have a favorite decade for car looks,
and at this rate, for me, it will always be the 1990's, followed closely
by the 1960's.

I saw a movie filmed in 1985 not long ago and it showed the kids being
dropped off at high school at the beginning. Every single car that
pulled up, including the BMW sedan, was awful-looking.

What a horrible decade in general that was for cars, and the 1970's were
not much better.

Pat

Old July 25th 10, 04:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_1_]

pws > wrote:

> I guess most people have a favorite decade for car looks, and at
> this rate, for me, it will always be the 1990's, followed closely
> by the 1960's.

I'd agree if you'll specify the middle 1960's when the tailfins had
almost entirely vanished....

NOTE: The 1960's Miata's are pretty scarce! <G>

But there was this as a substitue:
http://www.autorestorations.co.nz/aw...rari-196s-dino

The Usenet Improvement Project:
Old July 25th 10, 07:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
pws > wrote:

> > Have you seen the website of the fellow who put a Jaguar V-12 into his
> > Miata? (nope, I don't have a URL handy) By the time he's finished, he
> > should be right up there.

> Is this the one?
>
> http://www.youtube.com/user/brainsbo.../2/j1ZIIVsUV3U

Yep, that would be it. The sound gives me goosebumps.

--
Lanny Chambers
St. Louis, MO

FA: Flying Miata STB + Hood Prop for 1990 - 1997 Miata pws[_1_] Mazda 0 March 30th 07 02:00 PM
2000SE miata top FS on miata.net classifieds pws Mazda 1 December 20th 05 09:29 AM
Miata F.S. Alan Mazda 15 November 1st 05 11:06 PM
What a Miata wants to be when it gows up - Mazda Miata mini monster truck.jpg (0/1) schism Mazda 13 November 27th 04 04:18 PM
FA: BRP Jackson Racing supercharger for 99-00 Miata (ends today) SC Miata Mazda 0 September 7th 04 04:55 PM