Mazda3 clunk

Old April 30th 10, 12:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
andy-k

Default Mazda3 clunk

I have a 2004 Mazda3 (manual transmission) that has just been serviced
(non main-dealer) after flying through its MOT (not same place as service).
Since servicing I've noticed on starting the engine and pulling away that
when I reach a certain road speed (normally shortly after changing up from
first to second gear) there is a clunk. The noise does not then re-occur
until I've switched the engine off and back on and start to pull away again.
Any suggestions would be welcome.

Old April 30th 10, 04:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
"andy-k" <no.email@address> wrote:

> Since servicing I've noticed on starting the engine and pulling away that
> when I reach a certain road speed (normally shortly after changing up from
> first to second gear) there is a clunk.

Check the motor mounts. One in particular is prone to failure on the
older Mazda3. Look for leaking fluid around the mount.

--
Lanny Chambers
St. Louis, MO
Old April 30th 10, 05:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
andy-k

Lanny Chambers wrote:
> Check the motor mounts. One in particular is prone to failure on the
> older Mazda3. Look for leaking fluid around the mount.

Just a couple of questions to get a good picture here...
When you say 'older' Mazda3, does 6y/o qualify?
(Incidentally, despite its age the car has only done 25,000 mls.)
The only motor mounts I've had anything to do with have been
rubber blocks, so what kind of fluid should I be looking for
and where would it have come from?

Thanks for your advice Lanny.

Old April 30th 10, 08:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
"andy-k" <no.email@address> wrote:

> When you say 'older' Mazda3, does 6y/o qualify?

Yes. I believe the problem was resolved on the 2007 models.

> The only motor mounts I've had anything to do with have been
> rubber blocks, so what kind of fluid should I be looking for
> and where would it have come from?

The mounts are filled with some sort of fluid, not solid rubber.

This may not be your issue, but there's a history of failures on
2004-2006 models. Here's a relevant forum thread:
http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=60053.0

--
Lanny Chambers
St. Louis, MO
Old May 1st 10, 06:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
andy-k

Lanny Chambers wrote:
> This may not be your issue, but there's a history of failures on
> 2004-2006 models. Here's a relevant forum thread:
> http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=60053.0

This is useful Lanny. One thing that gives me doubt though is the fact that
I only get the clunk once, after engine startup, and not again until the
next engine startup. I don't get the clunk when pulling away from the
lights, or pulling out of junctions. But judging from the thread above it
would still be a good idea to get the mounts checked out. Thanks.

Old May 2nd 10, 12:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

Let us know if you get this figured out. Allot of us own or have friends who
own Mazda 3's

Chris
99BBB

Old May 2nd 10, 06:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
andy-k

Chris D'Agnolo wrote:
> Let us know if you get this figured out. Allot of us own or have
> friends who own Mazda 3's

Will do Chris.

Old May 2nd 10, 06:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
andy-k

Oh right... sarcasm. Sorry to be so slow Chris, but I'm not very good at
sarcasm. You prompted me to look up 'miata' only to find that I'm posting on
the wrong group. Apologies all round.

Old May 2nd 10, 08:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Jeroen Feelders

Does it have an electrical bootlock? A friend of mine has a MX5 NC with an
electrical bootlock that made a sound like a bottle of oil tips just after
driving away. Since you don't say where the sound comes from I suggest you
take a look at this...

Jeroen
Technical Commissioner
Mazda MX-5 Club of the Netherlands

"andy-k" <no.email@address> schreef in bericht

Old May 2nd 10, 10:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
andy-k

Jeroen Feelders wrote:
> Does it have an electrical bootlock? A friend of mine has a MX5 NC
> with an electrical bootlock that made a sound like a bottle of oil
> tips just after driving away. Since you don't say where the sound
> comes from I suggest you take a look at this...

This is an interesting suggestion Jeroen. The car does have an electronic
hatch lock, but the manual says nothing about it automatically locking just
after driving away. I can't really say where the sound is coming from, but
it does sound similar to a heavy relay engaging so there may be something in
what you say.

1996 XJ Clunk, Clunk, Clunk bw-fl Jeep 9 November 16th 09 02:32 AM
Need opinions about MAZDA3 Lisa[_2_] Driving 3 March 5th 08 06:12 AM
Honda Civic EX vs Mazda3 S nash123 Honda 12 June 25th 05 05:18 AM
Any Mazda3 owners around here? Xavier Mazda 8 March 28th 05 12:24 AM