Just for Fun

Old April 8th 10, 08:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Mike F.[_2_]

Default Just for Fun

On 4/7/2010 7:14 PM, Chris D'Agnolo wrote:

> "Mike F." > wrote in message
>> I'm on my second. The first was a 1990 which went to 185,000 miles,
>> including teaching my daughter to drive. The second is a 1999 with
>> 62,000 miles presently on it.
>>
>> THE 1999 IS FOR SALE!
>>
>> Only 62,000 miles

>> Looks and runs great!
>> Contact MIKE at 609-426-4976 or
>>

> Mike, good to hear from you. Sounds a bit like my Miata method ;-)
> Why are you selling the 99 and what's your plans, car wise / Miata wise?
>
> Also would love to hear what you think of those UHP's and what other
> tires you have experience with, on the miata.
>
> Thanks,
> Chris
> 99BBB

Chris,

The '99 is for sale because it's just become too uncomfortable for me.
I'm a tall guy and the car's always been tight. In fact, in both of my
Miatas I removed the driver's door arm rest to make more room for my
legs. I hurt my lower back last fall and it's just become too difficult
to fold myself in and out any more. So, as much fun as I have driving
it, off it must go to a new owner.

The replacement is a Mini Cooper S. After a history of rwd sports cars,
the fwd Mini is certainly different! I'm still getting used to it, but
it is a huge amount of fun to drive. The last fwd car I drove seriously
was a 1987 Chevy Sprint Turbo, which was reminiscent of the older Mini
Coopers. That car was made by Suzuki and had a 3 cylinder
intercooled/turbocharged engine that just wouldn't quit!

As for the UHP tires, I've been pretty impressed with them. Traction in
both wet and dry conditions is excellent. When they do break away in a
corner they do it predictably. I bought them because they were rated
best in wet traction (Tire Rack ratings) for a performance tire, and not
obscenely expensive. My only complaint is that they ride a bit harder
than similar tires from Bridgestone or BFG. In the past I've used
Dunlops with good results, and also TAs. The UHPs are much stickier,
but they are definitely not an all-season tire. I have an alternate set
of rims with Blizzaks mounted up and ready to go at the first sign of
snow! I've used Hakka snow tires in the past with excellent results as
well.

Later,
Mike
Old April 9th 10, 03:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

"Mike F." > wrote in message

>> Chris,

> The '99 is for sale because it's just become too uncomfortable for me. I'm
> a tall guy and the car's always been tight. In fact, in both of my Miatas
> I removed the driver's door arm rest to make more room for my legs. I
> hurt my lower back last fall and it's just become too difficult to fold
> myself in and out any more. So, as much fun as I have driving it, off it
> must go to a new owner.
>
> The replacement is a Mini Cooper S. After a history of rwd sports cars,
> the fwd Mini is certainly different! I'm still getting used to it, but it
> is a huge amount of fun to drive. The last fwd car I drove seriously was
> a 1987 Chevy Sprint Turbo, which was reminiscent of the older Mini
> Coopers. That car was made by Suzuki and had a 3 cylinder
> intercooled/turbocharged engine that just wouldn't quit!
>
> As for the UHP tires, I've been pretty impressed with them. Traction in
> both wet and dry conditions is excellent. When they do break away in a
> corner they do it predictably. I bought them because they were rated best
> in wet traction (Tire Rack ratings) for a performance tire, and not
> obscenely expensive. My only complaint is that they ride a bit harder
> than similar tires from Bridgestone or BFG. In the past I've used Dunlops
> with good results, and also TAs. The UHPs are much stickier, but they are
> definitely not an all-season tire. I have an alternate set of rims with
> Blizzaks mounted up and ready to go at the first sign of snow! I've used
> Hakka snow tires in the past with excellent results as well.
>
> Later,
> Mike

Thanks for the info, I love the Cooper S, it really seems to defy physics as
far as FWD vehicle dynamics. Not may of them do that although the Integra
comes to mind. The beauty of it is being able to induce oversteer to rotate
the car when you want to, the down side is that it requires throttle lift
and you can't do it with throttle application! Good thing the car
accelerates like stink, it makes up for it 'fast' ;-) Enjoy!

Also thanks for the info on the tires, that pretty much confirms what I've
been reading about them. Pretty impressive!

Keep in touch with us if you can! And good luck on the sale of the car too.

Chris
99BBB

Old April 13th 10, 12:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Carbon

On Thu, 08 Apr 2010 15:33:08 -0400, Mike F. wrote:

> The replacement is a Mini Cooper S. After a history of rwd sports
> cars, the fwd Mini is certainly different! I'm still getting used to
> it, but it is a huge amount of fun to drive. The last fwd car I drove
> seriously was a 1987 Chevy Sprint Turbo, which was reminiscent of the
> older Mini Coopers. That car was made by Suzuki and had a 3 cylinder
> intercooled/turbocharged engine that just wouldn't quit!

I had one of those! What a blast that thing was. It was so light, you
could do genuinely surprising things with it. I kept it all through
University. It was very cheap to run and got great mileage.