Pikey tyres

Old October 14th 09, 05:00 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Zathras

Default Pikey tyres

On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 14:52:00 +0100, (SteveH)
wrote:

>> Hallo,
>> Typical mistake!
>> New tyres should go on the rear. Not front!

Well, according to all the tyre manufacturers anyway.

><passes round popcorn>

:-)

>I always put new tyres on the driven wheels.

I always found it a more consistent handling and pleasing experience
not to do that on my 156. YMMV.

Scotland
Alfa Romeo 156 2.4JTD Veloce Leather (sold)
'Oil' be seeing you..
(Email must have the word 'Alfa' in the
subject line to get through auto-filtering)
Old October 14th 09, 06:25 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
SteveH

Dave Emerson > wrote:

> > /me sides with Steve on this. But we don't have enough regs to have a
> > proper jihad

> FWD cars should have their "best" tyres on the rear, this is to prevent
> sudden and unpredicable lift-off oversteer[1], especially in the wet.
>

> [1] Definitions:
> Understeer - the front of the car hits the wall first.
> Oversteer - the rear of the car hits the wall first.
> Power - how hard you hit the wall.
> Torque - how far the wall moves when you hit it.

Only if you drive like a woman.

For the rest of us manly drivers, lift-off oversteer is a desirable
characteristic.
Alfa 156 TSpark Sportwagon Veloce Selespeed - Alfa 75 TSpark Lusso -
Ducati 750SS - BMW R100RT - Toyota Prius T-Spirit
Old October 14th 09, 11:43 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
GT[_12_]

"SteveH" > wrote in message
> J.D. > wrote:
>
>> "R C Nesbit" > wrote in message
>> > The 156 was in need of a pair of front tyres, but since my
>> > financial partners pulled out in June I am flat broke most
>> > of the time.
>> >
>> > So I called in to The Tyre Shop, purveyors of cheap rubber
>> > to the denizens of Ollerton (ex mining village) and bought
>> > a pair of economy branded fronts for the princely sum of
>> > £89 - the pair, balanced and fitted!
>> >
>> > I was somewhat wary, but they drove, tracked and sounded
>> > fine, and as luck would have it I've just driven 20 miles
>> > through heavy rain and they are OK in the wet as well!
>> >

>> Hallo,
>> Typical mistake!
>> New tyres should go on the rear. Not front!

> <passes round popcorn>
>
> I always put new tyres on the driven wheels.

I'll second that and add that that they do all the steering and most of the
braking too (>60%?), so grip and tread is pretty handy.

Old October 14th 09, 11:45 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
GT[_12_]

"Dave Emerson" > wrote in message

> "Catman" > wrote in message
>> Zathras wrote:

>>> Well, according to all the tyre manufacturers anyway.

>>> :-)

>>> I always found it a more consistent handling and pleasing experience
>>> not to do that on my 156. YMMV.
>>>

>> /me sides with Steve on this. But we don't have enough regs to have a
>> proper jihad

> FWD cars should have their "best" tyres on the rear, this is to prevent
> sudden and unpredicable lift-off oversteer[1], especially in the wet.
>

> [1] Definitions:
> Understeer - the front of the car hits the wall first.
> Oversteer - the rear of the car hits the wall first.
> Power - how hard you hit the wall.
> Torque - how far the wall moves when you hit it.

When you hit the wall because you have old tyres on your braking, steering,
driving wheels, give us a shout. If the rear wheels aren't damaged I'll give
you a few pounds for the new tyres on there!

Skid - when you don't have enough rubber on your steering / braking wheels.

Old October 14th 09, 11:45 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
GT[_12_]

"SteveH" > wrote in message
> J.D. > wrote:
>
>> "R C Nesbit" > wrote in message
>> > The 156 was in need of a pair of front tyres, but since my
>> > financial partners pulled out in June I am flat broke most
>> > of the time.
>> >
>> > So I called in to The Tyre Shop, purveyors of cheap rubber
>> > to the denizens of Ollerton (ex mining village) and bought
>> > a pair of economy branded fronts for the princely sum of
>> > £89 - the pair, balanced and fitted!
>> >
>> > I was somewhat wary, but they drove, tracked and sounded
>> > fine, and as luck would have it I've just driven 20 miles
>> > through heavy rain and they are OK in the wet as well!
>> >

>> Hallo,
>> Typical mistake!
>> New tyres should go on the rear. Not front!

> <passes round popcorn>

Got any beer with that?

Old October 15th 09, 09:00 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
J.D.[_2_]

"SteveH" > wrote in message
> J.D. > wrote:
>
>> "R C Nesbit" > wrote in message
>> > The 156 was in need of a pair of front tyres, but since my
>> > financial partners pulled out in June I am flat broke most
>> > of the time.
>> >
>> > So I called in to The Tyre Shop, purveyors of cheap rubber
>> > to the denizens of Ollerton (ex mining village) and bought
>> > a pair of economy branded fronts for the princely sum of
>> > £89 - the pair, balanced and fitted!
>> >
>> > I was somewhat wary, but they drove, tracked and sounded
>> > fine, and as luck would have it I've just driven 20 miles
>> > through heavy rain and they are OK in the wet as well!
>> >

>> Hallo,
>> Typical mistake!
>> New tyres should go on the rear. Not front!

> <passes round popcorn>
>
> I always put new tyres on the driven wheels.

Then you are always wrong.
Look at this:
http://www.michelin.co.uk/michelinuk...314172074.html
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=52
http://www.etyres.co.uk/flashmovies/...ear-etyres.htm
http://www.celtictyres.co.uk/front-rear.php

Old October 15th 09, 09:48 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

GT wrote:
> "Dave Emerson" > wrote in message

>>> /me sides with Steve on this. But we don't have enough regs to have a
>>> proper jihad

>> FWD cars should have their "best" tyres on the rear, this is to prevent
>> sudden and unpredicable lift-off oversteer[1], especially in the wet.
>>

>> [1] Definitions:
>> Understeer - the front of the car hits the wall first.
>> Oversteer - the rear of the car hits the wall first.
>> Power - how hard you hit the wall.
>> Torque - how far the wall moves when you hit it.

> When you hit the wall because you have old tyres on your braking, steering,
> driving wheels, give us a shout. If the rear wheels aren't damaged I'll give
> you a few pounds for the new tyres on there!
>
> Skid - when you don't have enough rubber on your steering / braking wheels.

s/rubber/grip.

Don't forget tread is only really useful when it starts getting wet.

116 Giulietta 3.0l Sprint 1.7 GTV TS 156 V6 2.5 S2
Triumph Sprint ST 1050: It's blue, see.
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk

tyres [email protected] Alfa Romeo 0 November 26th 06 05:00 PM
Tyres Dave Milne Jeep 19 November 14th 05 10:17 PM
GTA Tyres theorangery Alfa Romeo 7 April 15th 05 03:55 PM
Tyres again Tony Rickard Alfa Romeo 8 December 1st 04 10:17 PM
Tyres which ones GrL 4x4 4 January 16th 04 02:35 AM