Reason nunber 187 why I love my Alfa

Old July 11th 04, 07:32 PM
Carl Farrington

Colonel Tupperware wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 23:55:45 +0100, "Carl Farrington"
> > wrote:
>
>> Colonel Tupperware wrote:
>>> On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 17:50:53 +0100, "Ypnos"

>>> Don't try it against a Jap RX8.

>> I think you meant RX7, or Skyline, or Supra, or ........
>>

> Undoubtedly fast cars, but I did mean RX8.

and that Renesis rotary hasn't proven itself yet. They *say* the rotor tip
problems of the RX7 are gone but only time will tell.

Old July 11th 04, 08:00 PM
SteveH

Colonel Tupperware > wrote:

> And, if current prices are anything to go by, very little
> depreciation.

You say that like it's a good thing?

Oh, yours was bought new, wasn't it? - Been there, done that, won't be
doing it again.
VW Golf GL Cabrio - Alfa 75 TS - Alfa 155 TS Lusso - COSOC KOTL
Old July 11th 04, 10:33 PM
Catman

Juhan Leemet wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 00:22:39 +0100, Ypnos wrote:
>> I'm sorry but all this Japcrap that's going about...
>> Granted they have engines that push the car about pretty fast, but
>> where's the character? ...Subaru...have so many wings and spoilers...
>> Apologies to any jap car owners, this is just one man's opinion

> Yah. I used to have a couple of Alfas, years ago: an old '62 2600 Spider
> (which I really couldn't afford to restore) and a '73 2000 GTV. Miss 'em!
> Can't afford an Alfa these days, and maintenance is impractical in Canada.
>
> Gotta say though that my Subaru Legacy (no wings, spoilers) gives me some
> of the same "feel" as I remember from my GTV, though not quite as fast.
> That's not hard, I suppose, as my previous car was an Audi turbo diesel.
>
> I think there is (were?) some Alfa(s) that are similar to the Subaru
> Legacy (AWD, mini wagon, boxer engine, 5-speed)? None around here, though.
> I have found a good mechanic/shop, so I might try to run an Alfa again.

P4 33 ITYF
Alfa 116 Giulietta 3.0l (Really) Sprint 1.7
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Old July 11th 04, 11:03 PM
Colonel Tupperware

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 19:32:04 +0100, "Carl Farrington"
> wrote:

>Colonel Tupperware wrote:
>> On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 23:55:45 +0100, "Carl Farrington"
>> > wrote:

>>> I think you meant RX7, or Skyline, or Supra, or ........
>>>

>> Undoubtedly fast cars, but I did mean RX8.

>and that Renesis rotary hasn't proven itself yet. They *say* the rotor tip
>problems of the RX7 are gone but only time will tell.

True enough, but a 60,000 mile warranty with gurarnteed engine
replacement if there is a mechanical engfine fault is good enough for
me.

--
ColonelTupperware
spouting ******** on Usenet since 1997
Old July 12th 04, 08:22 AM
Colonel Tupperware

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 06:02:42 GMT, Catman

>>>2 samll doors, 2 small rear seats and tiny boot, from what I've seen
>>>

>> 4 doors, yes really, count them, 2 on each side,

>Sorry, my error. I *meant* to type, but you know what I'm like
>
>>full size rear
>> seats,

>*cough*. Come *on*. Full size for a coupe maybe The GT's are not much
>bigger

They really are full size seats for a car of that size. There is a big
transmission tunnel and not a lot of leg room with the front seats all
the way back, but I'm 6'2" tall and nearly as wide ;-) and I fit in
ok. ( with the front seat forward)

>>and reasonable bootspace for a sprots car.

>i.e enough for a bottle of bubbly?

3 of us went to France last weekend in it, with luggage. The boot lid
is small but the space inside is big.

So what is this practicality lead that the GT has? Any car where the
front seat passenger has to get out to let the rear seat passenger in
or out is not as practical as one that doesnt.

Old July 12th 04, 08:51 AM
Colonel Tupperware

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 19:30:52 +0100, "Carl Farrington"
> wrote:

>Colonel Tupperware wrote:
>> On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 23:55:45 +0100, "Carl Farrington"
>> > wrote:

>>> I think you meant RX7, or Skyline, or Supra, or ........
>>>

>> Undoubtedly fast cars, but I did mean RX8.

>Oh well I guess the serious supercars will remain elite then !

Your having a giraffe.
RX7, Supra, even Skyline- serious supercars? Nah.

McLaren, Nobel, AM etc are serious supercars.

Old July 12th 04, 10:44 AM
Steven Spits

"SteveH" wrote:

> I regularly see a slightly 'worn' 155 Widebody and a 33 16v on my
> commute, without fail we flash / wave at each other.
>
> Doesn't happen if you're driving Jap-crap.

Sure it does... Ever driven a Mazda MX-5?

Steven

- - -

Old July 12th 04, 10:46 AM
Steven Spits

"Colonel Tupperware" wrote:

> >Granted they have engines that push the car about pretty fast, but

where's
> >the character? Where's the sexy curves inside?

> Have you actually seen an RX8?
> Let alone been in one?

My idea exactly! The RX-8 is one gorgious machine!

I had to chance to drive one. I could get used to that rotary-engine in a
minute!

Steven

- - -

Old July 12th 04, 11:58 AM
Pete

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 08:51:53 +0100, Colonel Tupperware
>, wrote:

>RX7, Supra, even Skyline- serious supercars? Nah.

I am still ROF at that idea. "Supra Car" <LOL>
Which shall take today RX7 or the Pagani Zonda
Japanese supercar! interesting concept.

Pete
--

156 2.0 TS (2001) - Proteo Rosso (his)
147 2.0 TS (2002) - Gem Green (her's)
Old July 12th 04, 01:39 PM
Catman

Colonel Tupperware wrote:

>>> 4 doors, yes really, count them, 2 on each side,

>>Sorry, my error. I *meant* to type, but you know what I'm like
>>
>>>full size rear
>>> seats,

>>*cough*. Come *on*. Full size for a coupe maybe The GT's are not much
>>bigger

> They really are full size seats for a car of that size. There is a big
> transmission tunnel and not a lot of leg room with the front seats all
> the way back, but I'm 6'2" tall and nearly as wide ;-) and I fit in
> ok. ( with the front seat forward)

Fair enough. They don't *look* that big.

>>>and reasonable bootspace for a sprots car.

>>i.e enough for a bottle of bubbly?

> 3 of us went to France last weekend in it, with luggage. The boot lid
> is small but the space inside is big.
>
> So what is this practicality lead that the GT has? Any car where the
> front seat passenger has to get out to let the rear seat passenger in
> or out is not as practical as one that doesnt.

Fair enough.

TBH I very much doubt that either of them will ever make it into my stable.
They neither fill the requirements of a car that I would *need*. If I had
that much money to spend on a toy, then I'd be buying an SZ (for no other
reason than I really want one).

If I still had money left over for more cars, than I'd have to start
working my way down 'The List'

BTW, CIHAGM? :>
Alfa 116 Giulietta 3.0l (Really) Sprint 1.7
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk

Alfa 75 Speaker Sizes SteveH Alfa Romeo 2 June 19th 04 12:20 AM
Alfa Speedometer rob Alfa Romeo 1 June 4th 04 09:48 PM
Alfa 164 ABS Warning D & J Merrylees Alfa Romeo 0 May 24th 04 07:37 AM
Light at the end of the tunnel for UK Alfa drivers?? Alfistagj Alfa Romeo 0 May 22nd 04 11:08 AM
Giulietta e Nuova 147 Plug-in Bourne Alfa Romeo 0 May 13th 04 01:16 PM