Where is Door Switch /Taurus wagon

Old February 6th 05, 08:36 PM
TA7205

Default Where is Door Switch /Taurus wagon

Hi;

We've got an anoying problem with the dome light staying on
in this car. The dash panel shows the drivers door "Ajar" even
when it's slammed.

A mechanic told me to spray the door's courtesy switch to confirm it
seeing that it tends to show up more during warmer weather.
I'm embarrassed to say that I can't find the darn thing on the door
or on the opposing side near the hinge. I have replaced a few of these
swithces in my time, so I do have an idea of what I'm looking for.

Can anyone shed some light on this ?
TIA,
Rick
Old February 6th 05, 10:39 PM
Kruse

Lawrence Glickman wrote:

> You know where the door latch is on the door? Then you know where

the
> door latch is on the vehicle body. Spray WD40 into the vehicle body
> latch opening and open/close the door a few times.
>
> Lg

You forgot to tell him to apply a liberal amount. Don't be afraid to
have the WD-40 running out the bottom of the door and on the ground.
If that doesn't work, the dealer (or anybody else who has one) can hook
up the diagnostic machine and tell you which door it actually is.
(Depending on if it's a newer car of course)

Old February 7th 05, 12:53 AM
Lawrence Glickman

On 6 Feb 2005 14:39:15 -0800, "Kruse" > wrote:

>Lawrence Glickman wrote:
>
>> You know where the door latch is on the door? Then you know where

>the
>> door latch is on the vehicle body. Spray WD40 into the vehicle body
>> latch opening and open/close the door a few times.
>>
>> Lg

>You forgot to tell him to apply a liberal amount. Don't be afraid to
>have the WD-40 running out the bottom of the door and on the ground.
>If that doesn't work, the dealer (or anybody else who has one) can hook
>up the diagnostic machine and tell you which door it actually is.
>(Depending on if it's a newer car of course)

OK, spray a LIBERAL AMOUNT OF WD40 into the door latch on the body
frame ;-)

I have to do this with white lithium grease ALL THE TIME on my door
hinges, and such, just to keep them lubed properly, because the lube
dries out ! The White Grease dries out and becomes, just useless.

So SPRAY GENEROUSLY, AND SPRAY OFTEN

Also, while you're at it, check your wheel lug nuts for correct
torque. Just yesterday I discovered my RF wheel lugs coming loose (
no lube on them thanks anyhow ). Had I not done this undocumented
"check" the wheel was on its' way to coming off the hub.

You might not have to check if you have steel wheels; mine are
aluminum alloy, so need to be checked every now and then.

BTW, I go through so much WD40 around here, I'm seriously thinking
about buying it by the gallon. I use it to lube the augers and chutes
on my snow machinery so the snow doesn't clog up the works. And I use
it all over my car. For me, it works as advertised.
YMMV

Lg

Old February 7th 05, 01:13 AM
« Paul »

TA7205 wrote:

> Hi;
>
> We've got an anoying problem with the dome light staying on
> in this car. The dash panel shows the drivers door "Ajar" even
> when it's slammed.
>
> A mechanic told me to spray the door's courtesy switch to confirm it
> seeing that it tends to show up more during warmer weather.
> I'm embarrassed to say that I can't find the darn thing on the door
> or on the opposing side near the hinge. I have replaced a few of these
> swithces in my time, so I do have an idea of what I'm looking for.
>
> Can anyone shed some light on this ?
> TIA,
> Rick

Most cars have those switches on the latch assembly.
Sometimes they gunk up, or fall off, or break.
As LG said, WD-40 it and work the mechanism at the same time.
If that does not work, then remove and clean it.
Old February 7th 05, 02:44 AM
pater

Wagon??? Don't forget about the tailgate, make sure it's closed.
Sometimes they look shut when they're not.

Old February 7th 05, 09:17 PM
Billy Bad Assr©

> We've got an anoying problem with the dome light staying on
> in this car. The dash panel shows the drivers door "Ajar" even
> when it's slammed.
>
> A mechanic told me to spray the door's courtesy switch to confirm it
> seeing that it tends to show up more during warmer weather.
> I'm embarrassed to say that I can't find the darn thing on the door

unknown year -- so am guessing that your vehicle is a newer Ford -- they don't
have the normal button type -- is a lever type @ the door hinge! switch is
located: under to the left of the dash. there is a plastic cover that needs to
be removed -- all you will see is a (Ithink) black single wire -- you won't be
able to see the switch.

> or on the opposing side near the hinge. I have replaced a few of these
> swithces in my time, so I do have an idea of what I'm looking for.

what month/year? -- you can look to see what month/year at the driverside door
jam sticker
--
BBA
°?°