Wheel Upgrade: 14" to 15"

Old February 5th 05, 11:06 AM

Default Wheel Upgrade: 14" to 15"

I found a few posts regarding this topic from the past. Answers ranged
from: "You will lose gas mileage due to increased friction/weight/wheel
mass", to "Go with the 15's because there are more tire/size choices
(than 16" or 17")", or "Go with the 15's because you will get better
handling and they will look better".

While I didn't disagree with any of the answers above, unfortunately I
couldn't find one aspect I was looking for: braking. From a weight
perspective, I don't think upgrading my 2001 Civic from 14" to 15"
would cause that much of a weight gain. My concern is that there is
greater surface area with a 15" wheel than a 14" wheel and that my
stock brakes would have to upgraded (and rotor probably upgraded as
well). I saw this mentioned someplace (maybe in this ng). In any case,
I would like to get other's thoughts and opinions on this matter.

And also, if I did upgrade my wheels to 15", what other changes would
be necessary to make (besides the brakes)?

Steven

Old February 5th 05, 01:07 PM
Anthony

wrote in news:1107601613.333020.188420
@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

> I found a few posts regarding this topic from the past. Answers ranged
> from: "You will lose gas mileage due to increased friction/weight/wheel
> mass", to "Go with the 15's because there are more tire/size choices
> (than 16" or 17")", or "Go with the 15's because you will get better
> handling and they will look better".
>
> While I didn't disagree with any of the answers above, unfortunately I
> couldn't find one aspect I was looking for: braking. From a weight
> perspective, I don't think upgrading my 2001 Civic from 14" to 15"
> would cause that much of a weight gain. My concern is that there is
> greater surface area with a 15" wheel than a 14" wheel and that my
> stock brakes would have to upgraded (and rotor probably upgraded as
> well). I saw this mentioned someplace (maybe in this ng). In any case,
> I would like to get other's thoughts and opinions on this matter.
>
> And also, if I did upgrade my wheels to 15", what other changes would
> be necessary to make (besides the brakes)?
>
> Steven

This is all dependent on what _tires_ you put on the rims.
Say you have stock, 185 70R14 tires, and you go to 195 60R15 tires, the
circumference is virtually identical (76.0" for the 70R14, 76.1" for the
60R15) and will make absolutely no difference in speedometer reading,
braking ability, or anything else, except handling, where the shorter,
stiffer sidewall will be an improvement.
Check the tire size calculator link posted a few days ago.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email
Old February 5th 05, 02:22 PM
Kempi

There will be no change in brake system (and no need to any change) if You
change 14" to 15" wheels.

Theoretically -the wider tire you choose the better braking you gain (within
the same model of tires). Wider tires will cause slight worse mpg but You
gain better grip.

CHOICE OF TIRES IS MUCH MORE IMPORTANT!

Few pound difference in rim weight is not the same as putting the weight
into a car! Unsprung weight is 2000% more important.
Don't buy any rim that is havier by more than 3 lb than what You have or
Your ride will be harsh and painful!
The lighter is better, especially for such a light car as Civic. I'd sugest
no havier than 14 lb in 15".

Whatever You do please check the links below:

wheel & tire calculator
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

wheel (rim) weights
http://gti-vr6.net/library/wheels_ti...wheels_weight/

Regards,
Kempi
'01 Miata

Old February 5th 05, 06:19 PM

Wow! Thanks Kempi! Your reply is awesome!!! So helpful! =)
I never realized by changing tire size that it could affect your
speedometer. That explains why my old Corolla was always rated "slower"
than what my speedometer said (when I drove by "Your Speed" signs). I
thought it was just wrong.

Steven

Old February 6th 05, 03:33 AM
Kempi

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Wow! Thanks Kempi! Your reply is awesome!!! So helpful! =)

Anytime.

> speedometer. That explains why my old Corolla was always rated "slower"
> than what my speedometer said (when I drove by "Your Speed" signs).

Well, most car speedometers show 5-10% more mph than You actually go.
I think it's just for safety and to make drivers feel better (marketing).

One of my friends uses bicycle speedometer - he measured loaded wheel radius
and mounted the sensor on rear caliper bracket.
That's kinda extreme, though.

If You'd need help with tire choices - e-mail me removing obvious stuff from
my address.

Cheers,
Kempi
'01 Miata

Old February 6th 05, 05:36 AM
Peter

Hi Kempi,

On a completely different topic, may I know how do you modify the
email so that it's shown differently to the public than the one you
used for login to google group?

Thanks,
Pete

Old February 7th 05, 09:20 AM
Tim Kett

Peter > wrote in article
>. ..
> Hi Kempi,
>
> On a completely different topic, may I know how do you modify the
> email so that it's shown differently to the public than the one you
> used for login to google group?
>
> Thanks,
> Pete

Pete, I dont know of anyway that can be done with google postings.

He is using a real news-server, and real newsreader instead, and its real
easy.

tim