Where are you and your Miata?

Old November 14th 07, 07:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default Where are you and your Miata?

On Nov 13, 8:22 pm, "Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote:
> Well, Pat (PWS) has mentioned a couple of times that only a small handful of
> folks hang out on this group these days. While I'm not usually inclined to
> try to prove him wrong, on this particular issue, I would love to. Would
> everyone who see's this message, please reply with CITY, STATE (and COUNTRY
> / PROVINCE if outside the USofA)? I'd like to compile the info and post it
> here for everyone to see. Hopefully the high volume posters (you know who
> you are!) along with the occasional posters and even the "just lurking
> around" crowd will reply. I'm thinking this could be not only fun but
> educational in some way (could it make some of us American actually look at
> the globe ;-) It could happen!
>
> I'll start it by throwing Sugar Land, TX (sw Houston) into the ring. Come
> on, let's see how far and wide our conversations go!
>
> Chris
> 99BBB

Sugar Land, TX

Old November 14th 07, 07:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Ballroom Dancer

"Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote in message
> Well, Pat (PWS) has mentioned a couple of times that only a small handful
> of folks hang out on this group these days. While I'm not usually inclined
> to try to prove him wrong, on this particular issue, I would love to.
> Would everyone who see's this message, please reply with CITY, STATE (and
> COUNTRY / PROVINCE if outside the USofA)?

Trent Woods, North Carolina, USA
(wife owns the 1997 Miata)

Old November 14th 07, 07:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Ballroom Dancer[_2_]

Old November 14th 07, 08:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Iva

Bethlehem, Pennsylvania here.
Iva & Vixen
2004 Classic Red
No more winkin' Miata

Old November 14th 07, 08:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

On Nov 13, 6:22 pm, "Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote:
> Well, Pat (PWS) has mentioned a couple of times that only a small handful of
> folks hang out on this group these days. While I'm not usually inclined to
> try to prove him wrong, on this particular issue, I would love to. Would
> everyone who see's this message, please reply with CITY, STATE (and COUNTRY
> / PROVINCE if outside the USofA)? I'd like to compile the info and post it
> here for everyone to see. Hopefully the high volume posters (you know who
> you are!) along with the occasional posters and even the "just lurking
> around" crowd will reply. I'm thinking this could be not only fun but
> educational in some way (could it make some of us American actually look at
> the globe ;-) It could happen!
>
> I'll start it by throwing Sugar Land, TX (sw Houston) into the ring. Come
> on, let's see how far and wide our conversations go!
>
> Chris
> 99BBB

Beaverton, Oregon
2003 Garnet Red Mica with detachable hardtop

Old November 14th 07, 08:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
"Richard Phillips" > wrote:

> Is stick-shift the norm for sports cars over there, or just Miatas in
> particular?

I'm just judging by what I hear in traffic, but my guess is that Miatas,
Porsches, and Z3/4s are overwhelmingly manuals, while domestics
(Corvette, Solstice, Sky) tend to be automatics. The sedans that some
call "sports cars" (Mustang, etc.) are almost invariably automatics.
Many U.S. and Japanese models are not even available with manual
transmissions.

We now have two generations of drivers who never learned to use a clutch.
Old November 14th 07, 09:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
miker

Minneapolis MN... just getting first flurries <sigh>

'96, 65k

miker

Old November 14th 07, 09:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Scott Streeter[_1_]

Auburn, MA USA

Silver 2000 though I'll probably sell it in the Spring and get
something bigger.

Old November 14th 07, 09:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Scott Streeter[_1_]

"Richard Phillips" > writes:

> Lanny Chambers wrote:
> > In article >,
> > "Richard Phillips" > wrote:
> >
> >> are you mainly driving autos
> >> in the US?!

> > No, even here automatic Miatas are quite rare.

> Is stick-shift the norm for sports cars over there, or just Miatas in
> particular? All the cars I've driven over there have been autos.
>
> R.

Standards are much harder to find but they are out there. I've been
looking at used cars (mostly sport sedans, 3-series, A4s, G35s). Far
and few but they are out there with nice options.
Old November 14th 07, 09:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

On Nov 14, 8:58 am, "Richard Phillips" >
wrote:
> Lanny Chambers wrote:
> > In article >,
> > "Richard Phillips" > wrote:

> >> are you mainly driving autos
> >> in the US?!

> > No, even here automatic Miatas are quite rare.

> Is stick-shift the norm for sports cars over there, or just Miatas in
> particular? All the cars I've driven over there have been autos.
>
> R.

I'm pretty sure autos are more common in the U.S. among all cars,
including the majority of non-sporty sedans, most SUVs and probably
all minivans. But the sportier cars - ranging from hot hatches to
sports sedans to pure sports cars and roadsters - still are often
stick.

One major difference between here and say Europe is, almost all rental
cars in the U.S. are automatics, whereas I gather in Europe autos are
more the exception than the rule.

FA: Flying Miata STB + Hood Prop for 1990 - 1997 Miata pws[_1_] Mazda 0 March 30th 07 02:00 PM
What about this Miata? JeffinMS Mazda 2 March 2nd 07 06:11 AM
2000SE miata top FS on miata.net classifieds pws Mazda 1 December 20th 05 09:29 AM
Miata A/C Jerry Mazda 3 July 30th 05 04:28 AM
What a Miata wants to be when it gows up - Mazda Miata mini monster truck.jpg (0/1) schism Mazda 13 November 27th 04 04:18 PM