166 2.5 Questions

Old June 9th 07, 09:31 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Zathras

Default 166 2.5 Questions

On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 12:51:26 GMT, Catman
> wrote:

>Ross wrote:

>> Could the car be an import?...perhaps lower spec than a UK car? Just
>> guessing!

>Interesting.not according to the V5, though.

You can't always easily tell. Mine's an import but it was first
registered with its first keeper (me) in the UK so clean 100% UK V5.
Also, I replaced the German service log book (with a German
pre-delivery inspection stamp) with the UK one. If I chose, it could
be *very* hard for someone to tell if it was an import or not.

Imports were commonplace back then and it sounds highly likely to be
one. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it though! It could, also, be a
so-called 'missbuild' or company/customer special order with a
non-standard spec. I saw about 20 of these (156s) at a main dealer in
2002 - a very odd lot, all going to a company.

Scotland
Alfa Romeo 156 2.4JTD Veloce Leather
'Oil' be seeing you..
(Email without 'Alfa' in subject are auto-deleted..sorry!)
Old June 10th 07, 08:19 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

Zathras wrote:
> On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 12:51:26 GMT, Catman
> > wrote:
>
>> Ross wrote:

>>> Could the car be an import?...perhaps lower spec than a UK car? Just
>>> guessing!

>> Interesting.not according to the V5, though.

> You can't always easily tell. Mine's an import but it was first
> registered with its first keeper (me) in the UK so clean 100% UK V5.
> Also, I replaced the German service log book (with a German
> pre-delivery inspection stamp) with the UK one. If I chose, it could
> be *very* hard for someone to tell if it was an import or not.
>
> Imports were commonplace back then and it sounds highly likely to be
> one. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it though!

I'm not at all worried, just a little irritated. Still I no longer need
an excuse to buy an iPod.

>It could, also, be a
> so-called 'missbuild' or company/customer special order with a
> non-standard spec. I saw about 20 of these (156s) at a main dealer in
> 2002 - a very odd lot, all going to a company.

Cool, cheers.

Alfa 116 Giulietta 3.0l (Really) Sprint 1.7 75 TS 156 TS S2 166 V6 2.5
Suzuki Bandit 600
Triumph Sprint ST 1050: It's blue, see.
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Old June 10th 07, 01:01 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Ross

"Catman" > wrote in message
. ..

>> You can't always easily tell. Mine's an import but it was first
>> registered with its first keeper (me) in the UK so clean 100% UK V5.
>> Also, I replaced the German service log book (with a German
>> pre-delivery inspection stamp) with the UK one. If I chose, it could
>> be *very* hard for someone to tell if it was an import or not. Imports
>> were commonplace back then and it sounds highly likely to be
>> one. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it though!

> I'm not at all worried, just a little irritated. Still I no longer need an
> excuse to buy an iPod.

Have you got a local Alfa dealer who could run the chassis number through
their system and tell you for sure...not that it looks like a problem, still
seems like a good buy...might even turn up some service history for the car
too.

Regards
Ross

Old June 10th 07, 08:39 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

Ross wrote:
> "Catman" > wrote in message
> . ..

>>> You can't always easily tell. Mine's an import but it was first
>>> registered with its first keeper (me) in the UK so clean 100% UK V5.
>>> Also, I replaced the German service log book (with a German
>>> pre-delivery inspection stamp) with the UK one. If I chose, it could
>>> be *very* hard for someone to tell if it was an import or not. Imports
>>> were commonplace back then and it sounds highly likely to be
>>> one. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it though!

>> I'm not at all worried, just a little irritated. Still I no longer need an
>> excuse to buy an iPod.

> Have you got a local Alfa dealer who could run the chassis number through
> their system and tell you for sure...not that it looks like a problem, still
> seems like a good buy...might even turn up some service history for the car
> too.

Got lots of that. Really can't be bothered

Old June 16th 07, 04:20 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
fred

I had exactly the same problem in exactly the same car.
I bought a 2.5 V6 Tourismo brand new on a 2003 plate and NO CD player
included!

So I bought one of those cassette heads that have a cable to plug into my
Ipod (from Ebay for 5 quid) .
I have been using this since I had the car and it works extremely well,
surprising well.

£400 quid for a CD changer or 5 quid for a cassette head.......hmmm let me
think!!

Don't get one of them FM thingies they are poor and you keep getting radio
stations bleeding through, especially in towns / cities.

Enjoy the 166, I love mine.

Fred

. ..

Old June 16th 07, 06:43 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

fred wrote:
> I had exactly the same problem in exactly the same car.
> I bought a 2.5 V6 Tourismo brand new on a 2003 plate and NO CD player
> included!
>
> So I bought one of those cassette heads that have a cable to plug into my
> Ipod (from Ebay for 5 quid) .
> I have been using this since I had the car and it works extremely well,
> surprising well.
>
> £400 quid for a CD changer or 5 quid for a cassette head.......hmmm let me
> think!!
>
> Don't get one of them FM thingies they are poor and you keep getting radio
> stations bleeding through, especially in towns / cities.

I am waiting on mine ATM. Ebuyer managed to send me *5* of these
instead of the adapter:
http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/124858

Staff were stunned that I sent them back.

> Enjoy the 166, I love mine.

I'm still not convinced. SWMBO loves it though.

Old June 16th 07, 07:45 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
SteveH

Catman > wrote:

> > Don't get one of them FM thingies they are poor and you keep getting radio
> > stations bleeding through, especially in towns / cities.

> I am waiting on mine ATM. Ebuyer managed to send me *5* of these
> instead of the adapter:
> http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/124858
>
> Staff were stunned that I sent them back.

Bloody hell. Can't say I'd have been so tempted to send 'em back.....

As an interim measure - you could pick up a cheapie from Tesco for about
4 quid.

I have one that I used to use in my last car.

> > Enjoy the 166, I love mine.

> I'm still not convinced. SWMBO loves it though.

And you thought she'd be the problem.
Alfa 156 TSpark - B6 Passat 2.0TDI SE - COSOC KOTL
BOTAFOT #87 - BOTAFOF #18 - MRO # - UKRMSBC #7 - Apostle #2 - YTC #
Old June 16th 07, 08:08 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

SteveH wrote:
> Catman > wrote:
>
>>> Don't get one of them FM thingies they are poor and you keep getting radio
>>> stations bleeding through, especially in towns / cities.

>> I am waiting on mine ATM. Ebuyer managed to send me *5* of these
>> instead of the adapter:
>> http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/124858
>>
>> Staff were stunned that I sent them back.

> Bloody hell. Can't say I'd have been so tempted to send 'em back.....

I was tempted....

> As an interim measure - you could pick up a cheapie from Tesco for about
> 4 quid.
>
> I have one that I used to use in my last car.

It'll be here on Monday

>>> Enjoy the 166, I love mine.

>> I'm still not convinced. SWMBO loves it though.

> And you thought she'd be the problem.

Aye. 156 is out though. It's really apparent that it's not a very well
car. Need someone to look at the clutch on the 166 though.

Old June 16th 07, 11:28 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Zathras

On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 17:43:08 GMT, Catman
> wrote:

>I'm still not convinced.

Not convinced about what?

>SWMBO loves it though.

That would be convincing enough in my books! The wife pointed me in
the direction of an Alfa 156 and its colour 6 years ago and I would
have to concede that she did rather well. Worse..she did better than I
had ever done in my previous selections of cars!! Unfortunately (or
maybe not) she and I cannot see a decent replacement so I'm stuck with
it! :-)

Old June 17th 07, 07:59 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

Zathras wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 17:43:08 GMT, Catman
> > wrote:
>
>> I'm still not convinced.

> Not convinced about what?

About the 166. It's a nice enough car, jut not really 'me' IYSWIM.

>> SWMBO loves it though.

> That would be convincing enough in my books! The wife pointed me in
> the direction of an Alfa 156 and its colour 6 years ago and I would
> have to concede that she did rather well. Worse..she did better than I
> had ever done in my previous selections of cars!! Unfortunately (or
> maybe not) she and I cannot see a decent replacement so I'm stuck with
> it! :-)

Heh. The 156 second hand market seems to be really poor ATM

99 GT Questions Brian C Ford Mustang 2 April 25th 06 03:42 AM
questions? thehawk93 Saturn 3 December 2nd 05 12:51 PM
Anyone asking anyone questions? Alan Bernardo Simulators 8 May 2nd 05 11:27 PM
NSR - A few questions... Larry Simulators 25 March 6th 05 11:07 PM
Oil Questions Scubabix Corvette 28 November 30th 04 11:12 PM