Electrical Puzzle

Old September 4th 05, 04:16 AM
Robbi

Default Electrical Puzzle

As of late, my 1990 Miata developed a strange quirk: Occasionally, after starting the car, the electric windows and the blower wouldn't work. The other electric accessories (radio, lights, lighter socket, etc.) work fine.
Turning the ignition "off" and then trying again usually solves the problem (sometimes after 2-3 tries).
Any ideas?

-- Robbi.
Old September 4th 05, 07:56 AM
Ken Lyons

"Robbi" > wrote
> As of late, my 1990 Miata developed a strange quirk: Occasionally, after

starting the car, the electric windows and the blower wouldn't work. The
other electric accessories (radio, lights, lighter socket, etc.) work fine.
> Turning the ignition "off" and then trying again usually solves the

problem (sometimes after 2-3 tries).

The likely candidate is a wearing ignition switch. It has been noted that
excess weight of a keyring with many other keys can contribute to its
demise.
--
Ken Lyons '97 Brilliant Black/'90 Classic Red
Inside the Beltway

Old September 5th 05, 12:27 AM
Jim Mc Donald

There is a large connector in the steering column from tht connecdts power
to the car from the ignition switch.
It has shaken loose on me twice, with similar effects. Remove the lower
cover from the steering column and the
connector canbe easily seen. Plug and un plug a couple of times.
--
Thank you for the use of your time.
Jim Mc Donald 94 Red "R"

Old September 5th 05, 05:36 AM
BRUCE HASKIN

Say Robbi, I just had the starter switch "burn up" on my '91. Every
thing was working one night and in the AM, the wipers and the heater
blower would not work. Everything else worker ! If you have a Mazda shop
manual, you can trace the wire color code to see if the "starter switch"
controls your problem. The switch is easy to change, but if it is burned
like mine was, you will need to change the connector too. You will need
a Donor Car to cut off the connector and splice it into your car.
Good luck.
I can't tell you what the wire color code is for your car, they changed
the codes from year to year.

Bruce RED '91