Battery not charging on 91 CRX

Old February 6th 05, 12:36 AM
Larry

Default Battery not charging on 91 CRX

I've had a 91 CRX for about 6 months. I've let it set for about a month
since we've had some snow, and when I started it yesterday, the dash light
was on that indicates the battery isn't charging. I've looked in the service
manual which says this can be caused by loose belt, blown fuse, bad
alternator, etc. or course. The belt seems ok, the fuse is ok. I see two
connections to the alternator. One is called the 'B' terminal, has a single
wire, and I can get that off. The other connector has multiple wires and
either screws onto the alternator or pushes in; I can't tell which. Does
anyone know how to get this thing off? Also, it looks like a real chore to
get the alternator out of the car. I'd appreciate any help anyone can give
on this problem. Today was the first time it's been above freezing for
awhile and I'm hoping some moisture somewhere turned to ice and might
melt/evaporate if I'm lucky. This is seeming less likely however.

Old February 6th 05, 12:44 AM
Professor

By the way... "B" stands for Battery... but on to your issue. Before
anything else is done... you should verify what the actual charging
voltage is. This can be done by starting the engine and measuring the
battery voltage with a simple voltmeter/multimeter. As a rule...
anything below 13.5 or above 14.5 is abnormal. It may help to know if
you're charging at all (one phase failed) or the alternator is
completely dead.

Professor
www.telstar-electronics.com

Old February 6th 05, 01:20 AM
Larry

OK, thanks. I think it is not charging since it seems to be struggling in
starting today which was not the case yesterday. But I'll take the
measurement tomorrow to be more sure.

Old February 6th 05, 02:42 AM
MasterBlaster

"Larry" wrote

> OK, thanks. I think it is not charging since it seems to be struggling in
> starting today which was not the case yesterday. But I'll take the
> measurement tomorrow to be more sure.

Is the alternator accessible at all? Try giving it a whack with a rubber hammer
or small chunk of 2x4. One of the brushes may be stuck.

Old February 8th 05, 09:09 AM
Bill

More likely a dead battery
Old February 8th 05, 02:21 PM
Comboverfish

Larry wrote:
> I've had a 91 CRX for about 6 months. I've let it set for about a

month
> since we've had some snow, and when I started it yesterday, the dash

light
> was on that indicates the battery isn't charging. I've looked in the

service
> manual which says this can be caused by loose belt, blown fuse, bad
> alternator, etc. or course. The belt seems ok, the fuse is ok. I see

two
> connections to the alternator. One is called the 'B' terminal, has a

single
> wire, and I can get that off. The other connector has multiple wires

and
> either screws onto the alternator or pushes in; I can't tell which.

Does
> anyone know how to get this thing off? Also, it looks like a real

chore to
> get the alternator out of the car. I'd appreciate any help anyone can

give
> on this problem. Today was the first time it's been above freezing

for
> awhile and I'm hoping some moisture somewhere turned to ice and might

> melt/evaporate if I'm lucky. This is seeming less likely however.

On a high mileage CRX you most likely have worn brushes. The easiest
(and very effective) backwoods way to determine this is to take a pipe
or prybar etc to reach the alternator, then line it up with a hefty
part of the alternator housing and tap it with a hammer. Do not hit
the slotted cooling area or the metal cover on the back. Do this with
the engine running, the charging light on (indicating no charge) and
the headlights on. If after a couple moderate taps the engine loads
down and the headlights get brighter, then you have determined that the
brushes are worn out. This is very common. You will have a very high
chance at success if you (or your mechanic) replace the brush holder in
the alternator. Or you can get a reman unit, probably with a one year
warrantee.

BTW, if this is a CRX HF, they don't charge all the time. Rev up the
engine with the headlights on to check for charging voltage and
current.

Toyota MDT in MO

new alternator - battery light on, but still charging at 16v? [email protected] Technology 8 February 11th 05 10:38 PM
battery charging question William R. Watt Technology 5 January 10th 05 12:08 PM
At what point is a vehicle battery charging or discharging? 12.6v ? [email protected] Technology 34 January 3rd 05 05:11 AM
battery question Jim Beaver General 14 November 6th 04 10:54 PM
charging problems Eric Goforth Mazda 2 October 13th 04 02:48 PM