96 Camaro getting hot

Old February 5th 05, 11:26 PM
Gary Kuhlen

Default 96 Camaro getting hot

I have a 1996 Camaro with a V-6 engine/manual transmission.
When I drive it and sit in traffic, it begins to get hot.
This has started fairly recently. I took it to the Chevrolet
dealer and they replaced the water pump. It was leaking (I
visually verified that). They claimed my problems were fixed.
It is still getting hot. Not boiling over hot but the temp
gauage still gets to the half way point. Before it would go
only 1/4 of the way from the cold to hot. I keep thinking
head gasket but I have no evidence of that, ie peanut butter
in the oil or any oil in the coolant. Can someone give me an
idea of what this might be?

Thanks in advance
Gary
Old February 6th 05, 01:34 AM
Professor

Sounds like a classic case of mineral deposits in the radiator.
Deposits form in the radiator (from the water) and impede the heat
transfer characteristics. Usually, you can take off the radiator cap
(when the engine is cold of course) and see white lime deposits if the
coolant level permits. You can replace the radiator or remove the
deposits. Email me if you want details on that procedure...

Professor
www.telstar-electronics.com

Old February 6th 05, 04:20 PM
Mike Walsh

Fan not coming on? Bad thermostat?

--
Mike Walsh
West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.
Old February 7th 05, 05:57 AM
MyStang428CJ

Well, it doesn't have to have "peanut butter" in the crankcase or oil
in the water to have a blown head gasket. It can have a blown head
gasket and be putting exhaust gas into the radiator. NAPA sells a
tester for this for around $50, it's a combustion leak/block tester. It
comes with a blue solution, if used properly it will turn yellow if
exhaust gas is present with vehicle running. This may not be the
problem, but just a heads up on how head gaskets can be blown.

I would definately check to see if the cooling fan is coming on as Mike
mentioned.

Does coolant boil into the coolant jug when it gets hot?