Ford chief seeks help from Toyota

Old January 7th 07, 02:45 PM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.trucks.ford,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Mike Hunter

Default Ford chief seeks help from Toyota

If you do a search you will discover there is a specific digit, in the VIN
that designates the assemble plant.

mike

Old January 7th 07, 02:50 PM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.trucks.ford,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Mike Hunter

No they haven't, the only thing they have posted is that the first number is
the county where the vehicle is assembled . Nothing about the specific
number assigned 1, 4 and 5.

mike

et...

Old January 7th 07, 05:44 PM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.trucks.ford,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Jeff[_10_]

"Mike Hunter" > wrote in message
> No they haven't, the only thing they have posted is that the first number
> is the county where the vehicle is assembled . Nothing about the specific
> number assigned 1, 4 and 5.
>
> mike

Incorrect. I have demostrated that similar vehicles coming off the same
assembly line have different first digits despite the fact that the US
content is nearly the same. This flies in the face of your conjecture.

Furthermore, I have not seen one reference to the use of the first digit as
having to do anything with content in the legal code that requires the VIN.
Why do you think that is?

Why do think the numbers are 1, 4 and 5, instead of say, 1, 2 and 3? Because
1 was the original number assigned to the US, and as more vehicle makers
needed to use VINs, the additional number were assigned.

Again, nothing I have found supports your conjecture and much of what I
found suggests that your conjecture is incorrect.

Jeff

Old January 7th 07, 05:51 PM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.trucks.ford,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Matt Macchiarolo

But you haven't posted ANYTHING to back up your bogus claims!!

Old January 7th 07, 05:57 PM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.trucks.ford,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Matt Macchiarolo

Yeah, it's the 11th digit. Your point is?

My point as others have pointed out, we have more vehicles produced at more
assembly plants. Your information that Fords and Lincoln trucks assembled at
the same plant but with different country digits completely proves that you
are incorrect.

We're still waiting for that link that specifically states the first digit
determines US content....

Old January 7th 07, 11:46 PM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.trucks.ford,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Whitelightning

"Jack" > wrote in message
et...

> I think we can stop feeding Asia as quickly as you say they can stop our
> transportation.
>
> > Jack

You assume the powers that be in China give a rats ass about some peasant
starving to death.

Whitelightning

Old January 8th 07, 03:47 PM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.trucks.ford,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Mike Hunter

I could not care less what you choose to believe, do you own homework, WBMA

mike

Old January 8th 07, 03:51 PM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.trucks.ford,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Mike Hunter

You are somewhat correct, the first number of the VIN designates country of
origin. The different numbers assigned, 1, 4 and 5 is determined by US
content.

mike

Old January 8th 07, 03:57 PM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.trucks.ford,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Mike Hunter

Looks like you may have finally stumbled on the explanation you seek. The
reason the Lincoln LT has a 4 and the F150 a 1, although they both built on
the same assemble line, is the US content of the LT falls slightly below 70%

mike

Old January 8th 07, 04:03 PM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.trucks.ford,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Mike Hunter

On the contrary nothing posted has shown the assignment of the first digit
of VIN 1, 4 and 5 to be for anything but US content. If you believe that is
wrong, show us