Engine opinions, please

Old November 17th 04, 04:38 AM
Garth Almgren

Default Engine opinions, please

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=7935126635

A supercharged 3.8L from a '91 Thunderbird SC, only 4k miles since it
was rebuilt.

So, anyone think it is worth $500?

--
/ Garth - '83 GL V6stang Hatch <Former MW #7> \
| My V6stang: http://www.v6stang.com/v6stang |
Old November 17th 04, 06:13 AM
Backyard Mechanic

Garth Almgren opined in :

> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=7935126635
>
> A supercharged 3.8L from a '91 Thunderbird SC, only 4k miles since it
> was rebuilt.
>
> So, anyone think it is worth $500?

For your 83? If all the Harness comes with it, sure. What about the trans?
Old November 17th 04, 07:06 AM
Garth Almgren

Around 11/16/2004 10:13 PM, Backyard Mechanic wrote:

> Garth Almgren opined in :
>

>>http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=7935126635
>>
>>A supercharged 3.8L from a '91 Thunderbird SC, only 4k miles since it
>>was rebuilt.
>>
>>So, anyone think it is worth $500?
>>

> For your 83?

Yep. Among other things, my V6 has been making some really bad noises
lately, some kind of rattling knock during acceleration under load, it's
going through a *lot* of oil, and it's having cooling problems again.
Not wonderful signs, IM(and my dad's)O.

I'm taking it in to my local mechanic for professional diagnosis later
this week and not driving it until then, but I figured I'd start
investigating now in case of a worst-case scenario.

> If all the Harness comes with it, sure.

Looks like it's got harnesses, sensors, the computer, and "everything
from under the hood" including the fuse box.

What about the trans?

Not included, but I was hoping to find a T-5 somewhere around here. I
doubt my C-5 would last long behind a stronger engine than the current
one, and I'd *definitely* want an overdrive if the engine requires
premium.

It'd be a lot of work, that's for sure, with lots of studying up needed
on my part. Maybe more trouble than it's worth, but it's fun to look at
the options. I've always thought it'd be neat to do a more unusual swap,
not your average "toss in a 5.x" job.

Old November 17th 04, 07:31 AM
Jim Warman

Well, you're straying from the beaten path and you have admitted to limited
automotive knowledge..... Not wishing anyone bad luck but this sounds like a
recipe for disaster.

If this is a "toy" car, go for it. If this is going to be your daily
transprtation, I can only recommend sticking with a stock configuration
where diagnostic and service information is readily available.

I was young once, myself. There are ever so many times that I wish some old
fart would have given me that kind of advice....

Old November 17th 04, 07:44 AM
Backyard Mechanic

Garth Almgren opined in :

> Around 11/16/2004 10:13 PM, Backyard Mechanic wrote:
>
>> Garth Almgren opined in :
>>

>>>http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=7935126635
>>>
>>>A supercharged 3.8L from a '91 Thunderbird SC, only 4k miles since it
>>>was rebuilt.
>>>
>>>So, anyone think it is worth $500?
>>>

>> For your 83?

> Yep. Among other things, my V6 has been making some really bad noises
> lately, some kind of rattling knock during acceleration under load, it's
> going through a *lot* of oil, and it's having cooling problems again.
> Not wonderful signs, IM(and my dad's)O.
>
> I'm taking it in to my local mechanic for professional diagnosis later
> this week and not driving it until then, but I figured I'd start
> investigating now in case of a worst-case scenario.
>
>> If all the Harness comes with it, sure.

> Looks like it's got harnesses, sensors, the computer, and "everything
> from under the hood" including the fuse box.
>
> What about the trans?
>
> Not included, but I was hoping to find a T-5 somewhere around here. I
> doubt my C-5 would last long behind a stronger engine than the current
> one, and I'd *definitely* want an overdrive if the engine requires
> premium.
>

> It'd be a lot of work, that's for sure, with lots of studying up needed
> on my part. Maybe more trouble than it's worth, but it's fun to look at
> the options. I've always thought it'd be neat to do a more unusual swap,
> not your average "toss in a 5.x" job.

I've done the equivalent ... Put an 88 TC system complete into an 85 2.3
Carbed car.

You need to check clearances for the strut towers, etc and
i'm not sure about the engine mounts...and oil pan - the mounts probably wont
line up ... also that's sort of a "Rev B" PCM module.. if it was for an
Automatic Trans, it may not work quite right since it wont see the tran
controls and VSS, though you can add the VSS

www.sccoa.com
Old November 17th 04, 08:05 AM
Backyard Mechanic

Jim Warman opined in news:z7Dmd.164077$df2.9686@edtnps89:

> Well, you're straying from the beaten path and you have admitted to
> limited automotive knowledge..... Not wishing anyone bad luck but this
> sounds like a recipe for disaster.
>
> If this is a "toy" car, go for it. If this is going to be your daily
> transprtation, I can only recommend sticking with a stock configuration
> where diagnostic and service information is readily available.
>
> I was young once, myself. There are ever so many times that I wish some
> old fart would have given me that kind of advice....

Really? Would you have taken it? Would you have learned as much? I'm an
old fart.

Though, Garth, If you dont have much experience in this, might i suggest you
look around locally for a nice SC with a shot engine?... If there is one, you
can pick it up for under 1000.

That's the way to cut your teeth on this. And that SC will give you as much
kick as the mustang and handle a helluva lot better.

Adn it's a dream of a road car as well.

THEN rod up the 83.
Old November 17th 04, 01:28 PM
SVTKate

"Jim Warman" > wrote in message
| Well, you're straying from the beaten path and you have admitted to
limited
| automotive knowledge..... Not wishing anyone bad luck but this sounds like
| recipe for disaster.
|
| If this is a "toy" car, go for it. If this is going to be your daily
| transprtation, I can only recommend sticking with a stock configuration
| where diagnostic and service information is readily available.
|
| I was young once, myself. There are ever so many times that I wish some
old
| fart would have given me that kind of advice....

Yea Jim...
but would we have LISTENED when we were young?
I don't know about you, but I would have been even more determined to make
it happen.

--
Kate
98 Cobra Drop Top

Old November 18th 04, 05:44 PM
Garth Almgren

On 11/17/2004 5:28 AM, SVTKate wrote:

> "Jim Warman" > wrote in message
> | Well, you're straying from the beaten path and you have admitted to
> limited
> | automotive knowledge..... Not wishing anyone bad luck but this sounds like
> | recipe for disaster.
> |
> | If this is a "toy" car, go for it. If this is going to be your daily
> | transprtation, I can only recommend sticking with a stock configuration
> | where diagnostic and service information is readily available.
> |
> | I was young once, myself. There are ever so many times that I wish some
> old
> | fart would have given me that kind of advice....
>

> Yea Jim...
> but would we have LISTENED when we were young?
> I don't know about you, but I would have been even more determined to make
> it happen.

Heh.

Actually, I don't have the hearing (or, in this case, seeing) problems
that seem to affect so many youth these days.

Old November 18th 04, 05:51 PM
Garth Almgren

On 11/16/2004 11:31 PM, Jim Warman wrote:

> Well, you're straying from the beaten path and you have admitted to limited
> automotive knowledge.....

Well, not *that* limited, and I definitely wouldn't dive into this kind
of thing blind, without doing some serious researching and planning.

> Not wishing anyone bad luck but this sounds like a recipe for disaster.

That's why it's called wishful thinking!

> If this is a "toy" car, go for it. If this is going to be your daily
> transprtation, I can only recommend sticking with a stock configuration
> where diagnostic and service information is readily available.

That's probably the route I'll end up going, if the mechanic's diagnosis
warrants replacement. Besides, if I end up going stock or near-stock,
I'll probably just let the mechanic handle it.

> I was young once, myself. There are ever so many times that I wish some old
> fart would have given me that kind of advice....

Heh. Us young farts have to start *somewhere*...

Old November 18th 04, 05:59 PM
Garth Almgren

On 11/16/2004 11:44 PM, Backyard Mechanic wrote:

> Garth Almgren opined in :
>
>>It'd be a lot of work, that's for sure, with lots of studying up needed
>>on my part. Maybe more trouble than it's worth, but it's fun to look at
>>the options. I've always thought it'd be neat to do a more unusual swap,
>>not your average "toss in a 5.x" job.
>>

> I've done the equivalent ... Put an 88 TC system complete into an 85 2.3
> Carbed car.
>
> You need to check clearances for the strut towers, etc and
> i'm not sure about the engine mounts...and oil pan - the mounts probably wont
> line up ... also that's sort of a "Rev B" PCM module.. if it was for an
> Automatic Trans, it may not work quite right since it wont see the tran
> controls and VSS, though you can add the VSS
>
> www.sccoa.com

Yep... Lots of questions to be answered first. Thanks for the link!