91 accord sometimes wont start in cold weather

Old January 10th 07, 11:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default 91 accord sometimes wont start in cold weather

I have recently bought a used car 1991 honda accord ex with 150k. Since
i have had it i have had intermittent problems starting it. When it is
below 45 F it may not start. The engine will turn over but nothing. If
you pump the gas when turning it over, then it will start but die less
than ten seconds after. If it does finally start (usually starts after
half an hour wait) then it will run fine for weeks before the problem
starts again.

I know nothing about cars and i would appreciate some help. My mechanic
can never get it to replicate so he can not find the problem.

Any help on what may be the problem? I need to know what to look for so
that i can explain it to my mechanic when it finally starts.

Old January 11th 07, 12:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
motsco_[_1_]

wrote:
> I have recently bought a used car 1991 honda accord ex with 150k. Since
> i have had it i have had intermittent problems starting it. When it is
> below 45 F it may not start. The engine will turn over but nothing. If
> you pump the gas when turning it over, then it will start but die less
> than ten seconds after. If it does finally start (usually starts after
> half an hour wait) then it will run fine for weeks before the problem
> starts again.
>
> I know nothing about cars and i would appreciate some help. My mechanic
> can never get it to replicate so he can not find the problem.
>
> Any help on what may be the problem? I need to know what to look for so
> that i can explain it to my mechanic when it finally starts.

====================================

You probably don't need a mechanic . . . This stuff is in your manual.
If it sputters and blows a bit of black smoke when it finally starts,
it's caused by flooding. You had it right (per the owner's manual) when
you gave it AIR. The flooding can happen because it sits overnight with
a dribbling injector. Injector cleaner is the best cure, three or four
times a year is a good regimen. Your manual also tells you how to start
it in cold weather / high altitude.

There are many misconceptions about fuel injection. Your manual will
bust a few of them.

'Curly