Question about timing

Old September 30th 06, 11:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
goodnigh

Default Question about timing

My 351C 4V has a suggested timing of 6B.
This Cleveland has had the following mods.
Carter AFB 9637 SA
Edelbrock Performer LB 351 4V manifold
MSD Blaster II 8202
The points have been replaced with electronic ignition.
Question is, does the original 6B still apply.
We are looking for performance here needless to say.

mike

Old October 1st 06, 03:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Kruse

goodnigh wrote:
> My 351C 4V has a suggested timing of 6B.
> This Cleveland has had the following mods.
> Carter AFB 9637 SA
> Edelbrock Performer LB 351 4V manifold
> MSD Blaster II 8202
> The points have been replaced with electronic ignition.
> Question is, does the original 6B still apply.
> We are looking for performance here needless to say.

Actually, the 6 degrees BTDC does not apply to your specific mustang,
it applies to the THOUSANDS (if not millions) of 351C engines (of the
era your 351C was built )that are out there and is just a setting that
safely applies to all of them. If you can set your timing for more
horsepower without detonation, pre-ignition, or bucking when you are
starting the car, so be it. I would also imagine that your MSD
ignition has a different timing advance than the original ignition
anyway.

Old October 1st 06, 04:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
goodnigh

Not sure how many 351C 4V's they made. 92% of the 351C's were 2V's.
Of the remaining 8% 4V's, there were four variations and only made in
1970,71.
Guess if the engine runs "smoothly" without ping etc. timing is subjective.
Was going to dyno the car but read somewhere you can't measure real time
under your feet street performance on a dyno.
BTW the car is very fast

mike

oups.com...

Old October 1st 06, 09:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
elaich

"goodnigh" > wrote in news:6WBTg.1121$Lv3.776
@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:

> My 351C 4V has a suggested timing of 6B.
> This Cleveland has had the following mods.
> Carter AFB 9637 SA
> Edelbrock Performer LB 351 4V manifold
> MSD Blaster II 8202
> The points have been replaced with electronic ignition.
> Question is, does the original 6B still apply.
> We are looking for performance here needless to say.
>
> mike

Loosen the dizzy, attach a choke cable to it that you can control from the
cockpit. Find the best timimg, stop the car, and lock the dizzy bolt down.
Don't forget that altitude, load, and temp can play a role in timing.
Old October 1st 06, 01:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
goodnigh

>> My 351C 4V has a suggested timing of 6B.
>> This Cleveland has had the following mods.
>> Carter AFB 9637 SA
>> Edelbrock Performer LB 351 4V manifold
>> MSD Blaster II 8202
>> The points have been replaced with electronic ignition.
>> Question is, does the original 6B still apply.
>> We are looking for performance here needless to say.
>>
>> mike
>>

> Loosen the dizzy, attach a choke cable to it that you can control from the
> cockpit. Find the best timimg, stop the car, and lock the dizzy bolt down.
> Don't forget that altitude, load, and temp can play a role in timing.

So may I surmise the recommended setting of 6 BTDC means nothing.
Or at least it means Ford knows the car will operate at that setting.
Thanks for your insight.

Old October 1st 06, 01:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
trainfan1

goodnigh wrote:
> Not sure how many 351C 4V's they made. 92% of the 351C's were 2V's.
> Of the remaining 8% 4V's, there were four variations and only made in
> 1970,71.

Q-code 4v 351's were available through 1973 models.

Rob
Old October 1st 06, 02:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
goodnigh

"trainfan1" > wrote in message
et...
> goodnigh wrote:
>> Not sure how many 351C 4V's they made. 92% of the 351C's were 2V's.
>> Of the remaining 8% 4V's, there were four variations and only made in
>> 1970,71.

> Q-code 4v 351's were available through 1973 models.
>
> Rob

That would be the CJ. My M-code was only made for two years.

mike

Old October 1st 06, 04:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
RJ

"goodnigh" > wrote in message
nk.net...
>>> My 351C 4V has a suggested timing of 6B.
>>> This Cleveland has had the following mods.
>>> Carter AFB 9637 SA
>>> Edelbrock Performer LB 351 4V manifold
>>> MSD Blaster II 8202
>>> The points have been replaced with electronic ignition.
>>> Question is, does the original 6B still apply.
>>> We are looking for performance here needless to say.
>>>
>>> mike
>>>

>> Loosen the dizzy, attach a choke cable to it that you can control from
>> the
>> cockpit. Find the best timimg, stop the car, and lock the dizzy bolt
>> down.
>> Don't forget that altitude, load, and temp can play a role in timing.

> So may I surmise the recommended setting of 6 BTDC means nothing.
> Or at least it means Ford knows the car will operate at that setting.
> Thanks for your insight.

I have a 72 Mach 1 with the HO ( 72 BOSS ) 351 C. The way I timed it was to
advance the timing until it would just start to ping under full a throttle
heavy load, back it off a bit and tighten down the bolt. Test, no ping,
great!

Old October 1st 06, 08:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Jim Warman

Your best bet is to have the distributor recurved.... you'll be looking for
base timing (vacuum disconnected) around 10ish degrees... a bit more might
not hurt but advancing ignition timing is a bit like walking along a
cliff.... too close to the edge and...........

You'll want total timing all in around 2700 rpm - if you haven't gotten
fancy with the compression ratio, look for 38 ~ 40 total advance... this is
probably a good compromise between power and "safe".

nk.net...

Old October 1st 06, 10:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
elaich

"goodnigh" > wrote in news:y9OTg.1366$Lv3.858
@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:

> So may I surmise the recommended setting of 6 BTDC means nothing.
> Or at least it means Ford knows the car will operate at that setting.
> Thanks for your insight.

As I said, many things affect your best timing setting - fuel, altitude,
mods that have been made to the engne, etc. Power timing is always the best
way to go. 6 degrees was merely a manufacturer's recommendation - a fit all
solution, if you will.