1998 Grand Caravan

Old March 13th 06, 09:52 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge.trucks,rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Default 1998 Grand Caravan

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006, Olaf wrote:

> I'll have to try that. :-) Although none of the CV I've driven have had
> a 3 position. Must be on the new ones? Mine all had and have P R N OD D
> L, IIRC

Go out and look, and you'll probably find you're misremembering. With a
4-speed automatic, the shift quadrant reads P R N D 3 L. With a 3-speed
automatic, the shift quadrant reads P R N D 2 1.

GM does it differently with a 4-speed: "P R N [D] D 3 2 1", while Ford
usually gives you "P R N (D) 3 1".

Old March 14th 06, 04:56 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge.trucks,rec.autos.makers.chrysler

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 16:52:47 -0500, "Daniel J. Stern"
> wrote:

>Go out and look, and you'll probably find you're misremembering. With a
>4-speed automatic, the shift quadrant reads P R N D 3 L. With a 3-speed
>automatic, the shift quadrant reads P R N D 2 1.

For the benefit of those who are new here and/or haven't been
following the various Caravan transmission discussions, which of those
two transmissions tends to have the most maintenance problems, in the
early-to-mid 90's Grand Caravans?

Old March 14th 06, 04:14 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge.trucks,rec.autos.makers.chrysler

My wife drives a 1989 Caravan. Had the transmission replaced at about
95,000 the second one has about 50,000 on it. I do no maintence on this
transmission other the check the fluid. My wife also drives it harder
than I would. It is my experience that any transmission that makes it
to about 100,000 in Phx, AZ is doing about all it can. I had Ford
C-4's that only went around 75,000. Ford C-6 seem to go a lot longer.

Yes the caravan was never ment to tow anything.

Old March 14th 06, 10:12 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge.trucks,rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Ron wrote:

> My wife drives a 1989 Caravan. Had the transmission replaced at about
> 95,000 the second one has about 50,000 on it. I do no maintence on this
> transmission other the check the fluid.

Hmmm - you do no maintenance and then make broad statements about life
expectations of transmissions where you live? I don't live in Phoenix,
but I'm thinking that if you would change the fluid and filter once in a
while, you might get better service out of them. Fluid changeouts in
today's trannies are almost a must for higher mileage.

> ...My wife also drives it harder
> than I would. It is my experience that any transmission that makes it
> to about 100,000 in Phx, AZ is doing about all it can. I had Ford
> C-4's that only went around 75,000. Ford C-6 seem to go a lot longer.

Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old March 15th 06, 04:56 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge.trucks,rec.autos.makers.chrysler

"Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in message
n.umich.edu...
> On Mon, 13 Mar 2006, Olaf wrote:
>
>> I'll have to try that. :-) Although none of the CV I've driven have had
>> a 3 position. Must be on the new ones? Mine all had and have P R N OD D
>> L, IIRC

> Go out and look, and you'll probably find you're misremembering. With a
> 4-speed automatic, the shift quadrant reads P R N D 3 L. With a 3-speed
> automatic, the shift quadrant reads P R N D 2 1.

I haev not checked on my '94 yet, but my 1990 grand caravan has it: P R N OD
D L.... And the tcc does disengage when the accellerator is released in D.
(But it does still provide pretty good engine braking in D.)

Old March 15th 06, 05:34 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge.trucks,rec.autos.makers.chrysler

"Olaf" > wrote in message

> "Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in message
> n.umich.edu...
> > On Mon, 13 Mar 2006, Olaf wrote:
> >
> >> I'll have to try that. :-) Although none of the CV I've driven have

had
> >> a 3 position. Must be on the new ones? Mine all had and have P R N OD D
> >> L, IIRC

> > Go out and look, and you'll probably find you're misremembering. With a
> > 4-speed automatic, the shift quadrant reads P R N D 3 L. With a 3-speed
> > automatic, the shift quadrant reads P R N D 2 1.

> I haev not checked on my '94 yet, but my 1990 grand caravan has it: P R N

OD
> D L.... And the tcc does disengage when the accellerator is released in

D.

how do you know this ?

scan tool ?

Old March 15th 06, 06:48 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge.trucks,rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Gary Glaenzer wrote:

>>D L.... And the tcc does disengage when the accellerator is released in

> D.
>
> how do you know this ?
>
> scan tool ?

My guess would be "tachometer." If the TCC doesn't disengage, there will
be no drop in RPM when you lift your foot off the gas. Its also obvious
that the RPM will flare high then drop down when you get BACK on the gas
as the TCC locks up shortly afterward.

Old March 16th 06, 10:14 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge.trucks,rec.autos.makers.chrysler

"Steve" > wrote in message
> Gary Glaenzer wrote:
>
>>>D L.... And the tcc does disengage when the accellerator is released in

>> D.
>>
>> how do you know this ?
>>
>> scan tool ?

> My guess would be "tachometer."

And you would be correct.

> If the TCC doesn't disengage, there will be no drop in RPM when you lift
> your foot off the gas. Its also obvious that the RPM will flare high then
> drop down when you get BACK on the gas as the TCC locks up shortly
> afterward.

Absolutely correct.

My guess is that the gear labels on the newer vans may not be the same as
the older ones. I believe my 1990 is the first year they came out with the
A-604 and 3.3 litter engine.

One thing my 1990 beater does that my 1994 didn't is shift to overdrive no
matter what position the accelerator is in at about 85-90 MPH (well, while
in overdrive of course). If I feel like being really mean to 'er and pushing
it to 100+ I have to put the gearshift in drive to keep 'er from shifting to
OD. (You should see the blue paint fly off then!) My 1994 will always
downshift to 3rd past 70 MPH when the gas is floored.

Old March 20th 06, 03:47 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge.trucks,rec.autos.makers.chrysler

On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 17:14:30 -0500, "Olaf" >
wrote:

>>> D.
>>>
>>> how do you know this ?
>>>
>>> scan tool ?

>> My guess would be "tachometer."

>And you would be correct.
>
>> If the TCC doesn't disengage, there will be no drop in RPM when you lift
>> your foot off the gas. Its also obvious that the RPM will flare high then
>> drop down when you get BACK on the gas as the TCC locks up shortly
>> afterward.
>>

>Absolutely correct.
>
>My guess is that the gear labels on the newer vans may not be the same as
>the older ones. I believe my 1990 is the first year they came out with the
>A-604 and 3.3 litter engine.
>
>One thing my 1990 beater does that my 1994 didn't is shift to overdrive no
>matter what position the accelerator is in at about 85-90 MPH (well, while
>in overdrive of course).

My 1994 had an "O/D OFF" button on the dash.

> If I feel like being really mean to 'er and pushing
>it to 100+ I have to put the gearshift in drive to keep 'er from shifting to
>OD. (You should see the blue paint fly off then!)

My paint got scratched up by the previous owner, but in spite of that,
I have NOT had the problems that I have seen iwht other vans! Damn,
there are some around that I swear you can watch the paint peal off af
they drive in traffic! What the hell happened? Did CHrysler have sone
nasty process problem?? Any recalls for this?

Old March 21st 06, 11:34 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge.trucks,rec.autos.makers.chrysler

NewMan wrote:

> ...Damn,
> there are some around that I swear you can watch the paint peal off af
> they drive in traffic! What the hell happened? Did CHrysler have sone
> nasty process problem?? Any recalls for this?

In fact I remember seeing a link to a site that discussed secret
warranties, and that ia in fact one of them. Anyone have that link?

There ought to be a special warranty on LH car a.c. evaporators.

Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee McNick Jeep 20 October 29th 05 03:13 AM
Forza Car List Rob Berryhill Simulators 19 May 7th 05 11:37 PM
FS: 1998 McDonalds/Hamilton Collection "Bill Elliott #94 Fan Bear" J.R. Sinclair General 0 December 16th 04 04:24 AM
FS: 1998 Lincoln Navigator 58k miles Reuven 4x4 0 February 5th 04 08:00 PM
FS: 1998 McDonalds/Hamilton Collection "Bill Elliott #94 Fan Bear" J.R. Sinclair General 0 January 14th 04 06:32 AM