California 480 at the Port of San Francisco

Old October 30th 09, 01:26 AM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving,ca.driving,ba.transportation
Carl ROGÉRS

Default California 480 at the Port of San Francisco

Hi Viatologists,

Inside the Port of San Francisco lies some interesting highway
memorabilia! There's an exhibit inside that specifically covers
California State Route 480, a highway that once stood nearby. One
particular picture was interesting -- it shows Route 480 passing by
the Port itself:

http://wwtl.info/#ca-480_10.html

http://m.wwtl.info/#ca-480_10.html [Mobile version, also designed for
older computers]

Keep in mind, this freeway was demolished in 1989 as a result of the
Loma Prieta earthquake.

Enjoy! In addition to our Route 480 photo collection and the several
dozen roadside pictures we've taken in San Francisco, the WWTL also
offers views of roads in world-class destinations like New York,
Dublin, Geneva, Tokyo, and Jakarta. Visit today at http://wwtl.info !

Cheers,

Carl Rogers
"Environment first, transportology second"
********
Worldwide Transportation Library (WWTL):
http://wwtl.info
http://m.wwtl.info [Mobile]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Complete coverage of international roads and railways.
Since 2000, we have offered several photographs, videos and
Virtual 360 captures -- to each viatologist & transportologist.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
********
Old October 30th 09, 06:44 PM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving,ca.driving,ba.transportation
Hatunen

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 18:26:27 -0700 (PDT), Carl Rogers
> wrote:

>Hi Viatologists,
>
>Inside the Port of San Francisco lies some interesting highway
>memorabilia! There's an exhibit inside that specifically covers
>California State Route 480, a highway that once stood nearby. One
>particular picture was interesting -- it shows Route 480 passing by
>the Port itself:
>
>http://wwtl.info/#ca-480_10.html
>
>http://m.wwtl.info/#ca-480_10.html [Mobile version, also designed for
>older computers]
>
>Keep in mind, this freeway was demolished in 1989 as a result of the
>Loma Prieta earthquake.

How the hell can you keep holding yourself out as some kind of
expert when you can't even get your facts right? Demolition of
CA-480, aka the Embarcadero Freeway, didn't begin until February
1991.

After the ocotber 1989 earthquake there was some sentiment to
repair it. Per Wikipedia:

"Opposition to demolishing the freeway mounted again, with over
20,000 signatures gathered to again create a ballot measure. The
strongest opposition came from Chinatown and the city's downtown.
People in Chinatown thought that the Embarcadero Freeway had good
feng shui because it was shaped on the map like a dragon and it
gave tourist customers easy access to get to Chinatown. [Mayor]
Agnos continued to negotiate with federal and state officials to
win enough funding to make the demolition practical, and the
opposition quieted. Demolition began on February 27, 1991.[13]
That year Agnos was defeated for re-election as Chinatown
switched its support away from him."

Those of us who drove under the closed and damaged freeway from
time to time know full well demo didn't start in 1989.