94 Front Pony removal

Old March 18th 05, 11:06 PM
4-2LGW

Default 94 Front Pony removal

I want to put a billet grille in my 94 GT, but it looks like you need a
special tool to remove the original pony. It's a six point internal star
like screw head with a small center.

Looks like the tool would have to be six points with a hole in the middle to
clear the small diameter there. Can't grab the outside of the screw because
it's a round head screw.

Any info is appreciated.

Old March 18th 05, 11:11 PM
Thomas Cameron

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 18:06:05 -0500, 4-2LGW wrote:

> I want to put a billet grille in my 94 GT, but it looks like you need a
> special tool to remove the original pony. It's a six point internal star
> like screw head with a small center.
>
> Looks like the tool would have to be six points with a hole in the middle to
> clear the small diameter there. Can't grab the outside of the screw because
> it's a round head screw.
>
> Any info is appreciated.

Maybe a torx head?

Thomas
Old March 18th 05, 11:15 PM
Backyard Mechanic

4-2LGW opined in :

> I want to put a billet grille in my 94 GT, but it looks like you need a
> special tool to remove the original pony. It's a six point internal
> star like screw head with a small center.
>
> Looks like the tool would have to be six points with a hole in the
> middle to clear the small diameter there. Can't grab the outside of the
> screw because it's a round head screw.
>
> Any info is appreciated.

That's a security torx screw... it is used due to high theft rate of those
ponies.

But any punk can go into harbor freight and buy them, other places as well.

But why not just go to your favorite Ford service/body shop, ask real nice...

Old March 21st 05, 02:47 AM
Rein

wrote:

>I want to put a billet grille in my 94 GT, but it looks like you need a
>special tool to remove the original pony. It's a six point internal star
>like screw head with a small center.
>
>Looks like the tool would have to be six points with a hole in the middle to
>clear the small diameter there. Can't grab the outside of the screw because
>it's a round head screw.
>
>Any info is appreciated.

It's called a security torx bolt. They sell cheap sets on ebay, less
than 10 bucks.