Sneak Peek -- Camaro SS

Old March 28th 08, 02:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Default Sneak Peek -- Camaro SS

Looks pretty damn good to me!

http://news.windingroad.com/category/spy-shots/

Patrick
Old March 28th 08, 04:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Hawgman

> wrote in message
> Looks pretty damn good to me!
>
> http://news.windingroad.com/category/spy-shots/
>
> Patrick

I'm sure the catfish crowd will be all over it. Personally, really doesn't
do much for me.

Old March 28th 08, 01:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
ChrisB

wrote:
> Looks pretty damn good to me!

http://news.windingroad.com/category/spy-shots/

> Patrick

Is it me, or is that just a horrible place to locate gages by the
shifter? I would prefer to have them somewhere up top so I can keep an
eye on them while driving and not have to shift focus from the road.

Other than that, I still prefer my 2006 Mustang GT over the new Camaro
and Challenger. Sure, they may have me on power, but I am only a
supercharger/turbo away from fixing that little issue.
Old March 28th 08, 02:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Jan Andersson

ChrisB wrote:
> wrote:
>> Looks pretty damn good to me!

http://news.windingroad.com/category/spy-shots/

>> Patrick

> Is it me, or is that just a horrible place to locate gages by the
> shifter? I would prefer to have them somewhere up top so I can keep an
> eye on them while driving and not have to shift focus from the road.

I think that was a way to honor the original design, I read about it in
some magazine. That's where they "have always been". Poor placing yes.

Jan
Old March 28th 08, 03:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Les Benn[_2_]

"ChrisB" > wrote in message
>> Looks pretty damn good to me!

http://news.windingroad.com/category/spy-shots/

>> Patrick

> Is it me, or is that just a horrible place to locate gages by the shifter?
> I would prefer to have them somewhere up top so I can keep an eye on them
> while driving and not have to shift focus from the road.
>
> Other than that, I still prefer my 2006 Mustang GT over the new Camaro and
> Challenger. Sure, they may have me on power, but I am only a
> supercharger/turbo away from fixing that little issue.

back in the 60s the non essential gauges were on the console. Essential
gauges were speedo, fuel, and tach.

Old March 28th 08, 09:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
ah[_2_]

"Hawgman" > wrote in message
. com...

> > wrote in message
>> Looks pretty damn good to me!
>>
>> http://news.windingroad.com/category/spy-shots/
>>
>> Patrick

> I'm sure the catfish crowd will be all over it. Personally, really doesn't
> do much for me.

Yeah, lotsa' plastic moulding, and how about those plastic exhaust pipes,
er, ports! I'll take stainless steel / chrome exhaust pipes!

Old March 29th 08, 02:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Joe[_37_]

wrote in news:94255a22-adc6-4525-a54c-6483bf8601e5
@e67g2000hsa.googlegroups.com:

> Looks pretty damn good to me!

http://news.windingroad.com/category/spy-shots/

> Patrick

Sorry, Patrick, but that thing looks like crap. Way overdone and over the
top IMO.

I just saw the new production Challenger in person at the Ft. Lauderdale
International Auto Show, and it exudes class. Totally understated with
its complete lack of flash and trash, it is as close to the perfect
production custom as you'll get. Pictures don't do it justice.
Old March 29th 08, 03:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

On Mar 28, 9:31 pm, Joe > wrote:

> > Looks pretty damn good to me!

> >http://news.windingroad.com/category/spy-shots/

> Sorry, Patrick, but that thing looks like crap. Way overdone and over the
> top IMO.

That link, for some reason now, doesn't take me to the photo I first
saw. The photo I saw was a white Camaro SS with a black side stripe,
and view only showed the front clip. In that pic I first saw, the car
looked great.

These six photos (red Camaro SS) however are.. being nice... much less
flattering.

Dislikes:
1) That rear spoiler should be ground up and turned into a park bench.
2) Same for the angular side ground effects.
3) The taillights and ass-end view of the car is horrible.
4) From a straight-on side view, the rear quarters aren't balanced
with the front half of the car -- they're too thick.

Likes:
1) From a straight-on side view, cover up the back-half of the car/
begining of the rear quarter panels on back. The front 2/3s, from
this view, IMO, looks terrific.
2) Again, from a straight-on side view, the minimal front overhang/in
front of the front tires, is awesome.
3) I like the grill.
4) Side glass shape looks good.

Reserving final judgment until I see it in person. Photos don't
always do a design justice.

> I just saw the new production Challenger in person at the Ft. Lauderdale
> International Auto Show, and it exudes class. Totally understated with
> its complete lack of flash and trash, it is as close to the perfect
> production custom as you'll get. Pictures don't do it justice.

While I'm disappointed with the weight of the car, I have to agree.
The Challenger is spot on! It's obvious they sweat every detail.
Even the exhaust note -- they made the car as loud as possible. It
barely met standards.

Final grade: A -

Oh, and did you hear the standard Hemi gets 370 ponies this
year?

Patrick
Old March 29th 08, 04:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

On Mar 27, 9:51 pm, wrote:

Try this link.

Look at the still photo of the white Camaro SS... the pic that only
shows the front clip.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3219

Now see what I talking about?

Though in the video the car doesn't look very good.

Patrick
Old March 29th 08, 12:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Joe[_1_]

wrote in
:

> On Mar 28, 9:31 pm, Joe > wrote:
>
>> > Looks pretty damn good to me!

http://news.windingroad.com/category/spy-shots/

>> Sorry, Patrick, but that thing looks like crap. Way overdone and
>> over the top IMO.

> That link, for some reason now, doesn't take me to the photo I first
> saw. The photo I saw was a white Camaro SS with a black side stripe,
> and view only showed the front clip. In that pic I first saw, the car
> looked great.
>
> These six photos (red Camaro SS) however are.. being nice... much less
> flattering.

That's an understatement IMO. The red car is about as close to rice
you can come without it actually being rice.

> Dislikes:
> 1) That rear spoiler should be ground up and turned into a park bench.
> 2) Same for the angular side ground effects.
> 3) The taillights and ass-end view of the car is horrible.
> 4) From a straight-on side view, the rear quarters aren't balanced
> with the front half of the car -- they're too thick.
>
> Likes:
> 1) From a straight-on side view, cover up the back-half of the car/
> begining of the rear quarter panels on back. The front 2/3s, from
> this view, IMO, looks terrific.
> 2) Again, from a straight-on side view, the minimal front overhang/in
> front of the front tires, is awesome.
> 3) I like the grill.
> 4) Side glass shape looks good.
>
> Reserving final judgment until I see it in person. Photos don't
> always do a design justice.

It's interesting that there's a qualification with your first 'Like'.

At the same show I saw the Challenger, Chevy had the Transformer Camaro
on display. Of course it was what amounted to a full-size plastic model
(even the 'mag wheels' were fake), and it looked garish at best. Simply
not classic enough.

>> I just saw the new production Challenger in person at the Ft.
>> Lauderdale International Auto Show, and it exudes class. Totally
>> understated with its complete lack of flash and trash, it is as close
>> to the perfect production custom as you'll get. Pictures don't do it
>> justice.

> While I'm disappointed with the weight of the car, I have to agree.
> The Challenger is spot on! It's obvious they sweat every detail.
> Even the exhaust note -- they made the car as loud as possible. It
> barely met standards.
>
> Final grade: A -

Unfortunately we didn't get to see the interior (the car was locked up
behind ropes on a rotating platform), and you're absolutely right - the
car is a pig. Then again, all cars are overweight these days, due at
least in part to safety stuff, electronics, and other crap. However,
you are also right in that it looks awesome, and from every angle as
well.

> Oh, and did you hear the standard Hemi gets 370 ponies this
> year?
>
> Patrick

According to Dodge's website, the 2008 5.7 Hemi MDS is rated at
340hp/390lb-ft; the 6.1 SRT Hemi is 425/420.

For '09, the numbers change as follows: 5.7 Hemi MDS - 380hp/404lb-ft
with VCT (Variable Cam Timing). Here's the link:
http://allpar.com/mopar/new-mopar-hemi.html

BTW, I also saw two other very interesting cars at the show - the
Pontiac G8 and the Hyndai Genesis. The G8 was roped off, but I did get
to sit in the Genesis.

By far, the Genesis was the most comfortable vehicle I've been in in
years. I sat in the back seat and could've easily fallen asleep, it was
so comfortable. The driver's cockpit is awesome. it even has
electrically-operated steering wheel positioning. Up, down, and
telescoping. 18-speaker Lexicon sound system with built-in XM, leather
all around, etc. They didn't have a price for it, but they said it was
supposed to go up against BMWs and MBs for 1/2 to 2/3 the price.

The G8 stickers at around 32k for the top of the line, with the 6-liter
motor, auto only. They said that the next year will bring a 6.2-liter
with a 6-speed, but they had no pricing info on that.

Finally, the coolest car we saw, believe it or not, was the smart
fortwo. 3-cylinder n/a, 70hp, 40mpg average. Top of the line
convertible with a/c & monster stereo was $17k. Base car was $11k+.
http://smartusa.com/