What's the best way to clean engine parts?

Old March 21st 07, 08:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Spike

Default What's the best way to clean engine parts?

wrote:

>>>I'm not sure how to ask this question without seeming ignorant, but
>>>since I am ignorant, I guess that's ok.

SNIP
>>>I have a small sand blaster, and my pro told me to get some glass
>>>beads for it. Where does that fit into the process?
>>>
>>>Any information is appreciated.
>>>
>>>-Rick

>>Somewhere near you is probably a truck station; either a major truck
>>stop on an interstate, or a large trucking company; which will have in
>>close proximity, a major wash station. A drive through similar to your
>>local self serve car wash, and some have either a pit or a ramp so you
>>can get to the underside. They tend to use higher pressure and good
>>jet of steam steam (not the weak stuff you normally find at the local
>>self serve car wash).

>Hmmm. That doesn't seem very practical in my case. When I say the
>car is in pieces, I mean pieces. The car is literally in boxes. The
>engine is completely disassembled. There is hardly a bolt anywhere
>that has not been turned. Most of them are in labeled baggies.
>
>But that does make me wonder if a portable steam cleaner would be
>effective. Any opinions?
>
>-Rick

If you get a good one. There is a tool rental place a couple of blocks
from me that rents construction grade equipment. That type would be
the type to look for. And they do work quite well, although not as
powerful as the previous recommendation.
Old March 23rd 07, 03:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Michael

Get yourself a safety-kleen set up.

http://www.safety-kleen.com/SKIntern... 1203200aRCRD

If that isn't in the budget, I recommend you **** on your parts and then use
a tooth brush.

Michael

Old April 7th 07, 08:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Thanks to all who posted serious replies. What seems to be working
for me is the "Purple Power" stuff for degreasing parts. The stuff
will even soften the varnish on the internal engine guts. I haven't
tried it on anything aluminum yet, but the directions say to be
careful there.

And sandblasting with glass beads seems to cut the layer of rust off
of chassis parts nicely for repainting.

Cheers,
Rick

AWA [OFFER] WELLS IGNITION PARTS CLEAN BOXES [email protected] General 0 May 3rd 06 02:52 PM
AWA [OFFER] BOSCH IGNITION PARTS VERY CLEAN [email protected] General 0 March 31st 06 09:01 PM
AWA [OFFER] auto parts,engine parts,engine valve,guide [email protected] General 0 March 7th 06 12:51 PM
Clean Engine Lee VW water cooled 7 March 14th 05 07:06 PM
Best Way to Clean Engine Derek White Dodge 0 June 8th 04 02:02 AM