Window door run channel replacement?

Old July 31st 08, 06:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Mark G.

Default Window door run channel replacement?

Good morning.

The power windows on my 1991 Accord EX are becoming a bit balky.
I can hear the motors laboring when I open and close the windows.
My mechanic informs me that the door run channels should be replaced
to eliminate the added friction from time and wear.

The parts drawings suggest that there are some channel pieces down
inside the door; do I replace these, or do I replace the rubber channel
that runs around the window opening, or both?

Any advice on this as a DIY job?

Thanks
-Mark

Old July 31st 08, 06:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda

I would first try some rubber dressing/protectant on the channels to
see if that helps.
I took some 303 Aerospace protectant and lubed mine using Q-tips and
they run very
smoothly now. Lower the windows, load up the Q-tip, and have a go.
Make sure you "squeeze"
it into the corner where the window and channel meet, so it runs down
and lubes the part of the channel
inside the door. May prevent you from a lot more work and cost!
Old August 1st 08, 05:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Frank Boettcher

On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 10:04:58 -0700, "Mark G." >
wrote:

>Good morning.
>
>The power windows on my 1991 Accord EX are becoming a bit balky.
>I can hear the motors laboring when I open and close the windows.
>My mechanic informs me that the door run channels should be replaced
>to eliminate the added friction from time and wear.
>
>The parts drawings suggest that there are some channel pieces down
>inside the door; do I replace these, or do I replace the rubber channel
>that runs around the window opening, or both?
>
>Any advice on this as a DIY job?
>
>Thanks
>-Mark

I would pull the door panel and inspect the worst of the bunch. the
mechanism that raises and lowers the window is a formed sheet metal
frame with a couple of plastic guides that maintain the direction of
the drive cable as it passes through the gear motor. Often times when
the motor labors it's because the guides have become dry or worse are
cracked or the stranded cable gets a few of its parts broken and
bunched up.

You may be able to ward off an expensive replacement part (you can't
buy individual components, you have to buy the whole regulator/motor
assembly) by inspecting, trimming frayed cable, cleaning and
lubricating.

Door panel off, not that hard. And when you have it off, you can also
lube the chanel.

Frank

Old August 8th 08, 03:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda

Try lubing the channels first. There are silicone sprays you can use.
If not call up Majestic Honda or other online honda dealers. Because
pickapart.com probably have the same "old" rubber channels on their
lots.