2000 VW Passat MAF problem

Old November 6th 05, 03:06 PM
10ecvols

Default 2000 VW Passat MAF problem

I have a 2000 20V 4 cylinder Passat (ATW engine). I have had problems
from 50K to the current 80K miles. Most problems are the ABS Module,
O2 sensors, and the MAF. The most recent diagnosis from the dealership
is a bad MAF sensor. They want $500 to replace but I have found them
online MUCH cheaper. My question is, where is the MAF? I've looked
around and can't seem to find it. Is it hidden under something? I've
seen posts that say replacing it is a 15min job.

Old November 6th 05, 10:21 PM
Peter Parker

In article .com>,
10ecvols > wrote:
>I have a 2000 20V 4 cylinder Passat (ATW engine). I have had problems
>from 50K to the current 80K miles. Most problems are the ABS Module,
>O2 sensors, and the MAF. The most recent diagnosis from the dealership
>is a bad MAF sensor. They want $500 to replace but I have found them
>online MUCH cheaper. My question is, where is the MAF? I've looked
>around and can't seem to find it. Is it hidden under something? I've
>seen posts that say replacing it is a 15min job.

LOL! I love these posts...

--
Jeeps and dubs and everything's nice...
Old November 7th 05, 02:57 PM
lobo

"10ecvols" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I have a 2000 20V 4 cylinder Passat (ATW engine). I have had problems
> from 50K to the current 80K miles. Most problems are the ABS Module,
> O2 sensors, and the MAF. The most recent diagnosis from the dealership
> is a bad MAF sensor. They want $500 to replace but I have found them
> online MUCH cheaper. My question is, where is the MAF? I've looked
> around and can't seem to find it. Is it hidden under something? I've
> seen posts that say replacing it is a 15min job.

Make sure you check the connector before you buy a new MAF. Checks will lead
to a bad one when it could be the connector. Many dealer checks and two MAF
replacements finally found the connector to be bad on our 2000 Jetta 1.8.

PS. Buy yourself a manual and learn the locations of the components if you
plan on working on it yourself.

Old November 7th 05, 04:41 PM
10ecvols

Thanks spiderman and lobo, but I was looking for a little help in
locating the part. It may be inside a case or something? I know what
the part looks like I just don't see it looking from the air intake to
the throttle body but I'm sure it's there. I'm looking for some help,
i.e. the O2 sensors are in the front and rear of the catalytic
converter for example. I'm fully capable of doing the work, just
thought rather than start tearing into the engine, I'd get a better
idea of where to look. Thanks to anyone that can help.

lobo, when I find the MAF I'll definatly check the connectors first.

Old November 7th 05, 05:38 PM
Brian Running

> I'm fully capable of doing the work, just
> thought rather than start tearing into the engine, I'd get a better
> idea of where to look.

Hold on there, cowboy. Don't do one more thing until you've purchased
the Bentley manual for your car. Sit down, take a deep breath, read the
section in the manual that describes MAF location, removal and
replacement, and then go to work. No offense, but if you were about to
"tear into your engine" without any idea of where the MAF sensor is...
well, let's just say, buy the manual first.
Old November 8th 05, 12:05 AM
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

It's inside the air cleaner housing.

oups.com...

Old November 21st 05, 03:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Hey Woodchuck - thanks for getting in the right place - that's all I
needed. It took me about 20 mins to change it out (I could it again in
about 10 mins). Bought the OEM part online for $60. If you can change
out your air filter you can do this - easy. The MAF is in the housing
with the air filter. Dealer here is trying to rip off people for $500.
Hopefully this post will save someone else some big bucks.