How much weight can PT carry?

Old August 9th 05, 01:52 PM
TomKan

Default How much weight can PT carry?

I have to pick up some blocks for a wall. They are 16 wide by 4 high
and 10 deep and weigh 40 pounds each.
What would be the maximum I could load into my PT Cruiser without
risking damage? I would have to move them about five miles.

Old August 9th 05, 02:09 PM
Shawn Hirn

In article .com>,
"TomKan" > wrote:

> I have to pick up some blocks for a wall. They are 16 wide by 4 high
> and 10 deep and weigh 40 pounds each.
> What would be the maximum I could load into my PT Cruiser without
> risking damage? I would have to move them about five miles.

Check the owner's manual for that information.
Old August 9th 05, 02:59 PM
SRG

Check the "Vehicle Safety Certification" sticker thats inside the drivers
door jamb.

oups.com...

Old August 9th 05, 10:11 PM
tomkanpa

I want to thank all of you (especially Alex) for the replies.By
suggesting the recommended places for an answer, I now know the
following:

1st seat - 2 passengers
2nd seat - 3 passengers
Luggage - 115 pounds.
Total weight - 865 pounds

However, I wasn't planning on placing some in the front passenger seat,
some more in the rear passenger seat(s), and some (115 pounds worth) in
the rear in place of luggage.
I had planned on putting them in the rear area which is to be used for
carrying material.
Once again, thanks for the input!! Especially you, Alex!!

Old August 9th 05, 10:54 PM
Matt Whiting

TomKan wrote:

> I have to pick up some blocks for a wall. They are 16 wide by 4 high
> and 10 deep and weigh 40 pounds each.
> What would be the maximum I could load into my PT Cruiser without
> risking damage? I would have to move them about five miles.

What is the Max GVWR? It is usually stamped on a plate on the door jamb
or somewhere on the vehicle. What is the empty weight? How much do you
weigh? Take the GVWR, subtract the empty weight, subtract your weight,
and then divide what is left by 40.

Matt
Old August 10th 05, 07:02 AM
Tim B

TomKan wrote:
> I have to pick up some blocks for a wall. They are 16 wide by 4

high
> and 10 deep and weigh 40 pounds each.
> What would be the maximum I could load into my PT Cruiser without
> risking damage? I would have to move them about five miles.

Weight-wise probably 500-600 pounds is about the most you'd want to
load in the back, but the weight is not the only
consideration.Securing the load is also important. You'll need to rig
up something to prevent the blocks from moving around and doing
damage, such as some heavy(thick-walled I mean) carboard boxes, or a
temporary open-topped box made with scrap plywood or particle board

Old August 10th 05, 12:43 PM
Carl Keehn

"tomkanpa" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> I want to thank all of you (especially Alex) for the replies.By
> suggesting the recommended places for an answer, I now know the
> following:
>
> 1st seat - 2 passengers
> 2nd seat - 3 passengers
> Luggage - 115 pounds.
> Total weight - 865 pounds
>
> However, I wasn't planning on placing some in the front passenger seat,
> some more in the rear passenger seat(s), and some (115 pounds worth) in
> the rear in place of luggage.
> I had planned on putting them in the rear area which is to be used for
> carrying material.
> Once again, thanks for the input!! Especially you, Alex!!

Plain and simple. The other posters did answer your question.

The total weight in cargo you can carry safely is the 865 lbs, minus the
weight of the driver. Your best bet would be to remove the rear seats and
distribute the weight evenly over the expanded cargo area.

Old August 11th 05, 01:00 AM
howard

> I have to pick up some blocks for a wall. They are 16 wide by 4
high
> and 10 deep and weigh 40 pounds each.
> What would be the maximum I could load into my PT Cruiser without
> risking damage? I would have to move them about five miles.

"Weight-wise probably 500-600 pounds is about the most you'd want to
load in the back, but the weight is not the only
consideration.Securing the load is also important. You'll need to rig
up something to prevent the blocks from moving around and doing
damage, such as some heavy(thick-walled I mean) carboard boxes, or a
temporary open-topped box made with scrap plywood or particle board"
keep the speed under 90 MPH and make no very sudden stops and for going ONLY
5 miles, extra care in "securing the blocks" will be overkill.

Handling/Ride: +Rubber/-Unsprung weight? Charles Lasitter Honda 11 April 13th 05 03:10 PM
Salvage Registration [email protected] Technology 2 December 30th 04 02:10 AM
four wheel weight transfer Ruben Simulators 4 October 17th 04 07:45 PM
1700lbs in a V-6 pickup? Steve General 7 May 25th 04 03:39 PM
Cost of repair Audi BMW Saab...(still crossposting) Matt O'Toole Audi 18 May 13th 04 09:41 PM