60K tune & Lube - Cost Estimate

Old October 14th 08, 11:40 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Roscoe[_2_]

Default 60K tune & Lube - Cost Estimate

I just had my 99 FRC in for a 60K tune and lube. It was running Great-
I just wanted to follow the maintenance schedule as all good Vette
owners do.

I took it to the local Chevy dealership as several Vette buddies
recommended them. They did a great job from beginning to end, but I was
surprised that the bill came to over $500 dollars (including a $100 off
coupon).

Thoughts anyone?

PS - I'm gonna miss you guys once Comca$t pulls the plug -
Old October 15th 08, 01:57 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Spud

"Roscoe" > wrote in message
. ..
>I just had my 99 FRC in for a 60K tune and lube. It was running Great-
> I just wanted to follow the maintenance schedule as all good Vette owners
> do.
>
> I took it to the local Chevy dealership as several Vette buddies
> recommended them. They did a great job from beginning to end, but I was
> surprised that the bill came to over $500 dollars (including a $100 off
> coupon).
>
> Thoughts anyone?
>
> PS - I'm gonna miss you guys once Comca$t pulls the plug -

What did you have done? Shoot, an oil change is 90 bucks at my dealer.
So, plugs, filter, tranny fluid, belts, hoses, etc. could easily hit $600.

Ed

Old October 15th 08, 02:00 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"Roscoe" > wrote in message
. ..
>I just had my 99 FRC in for a 60K tune and lube. It was running
>Great-
> I just wanted to follow the maintenance schedule as all good Vette
> owners do.
>
> I took it to the local Chevy dealership as several Vette buddies
> recommended them. They did a great job from beginning to end, but I
> was
> surprised that the bill came to over $500 dollars (including a $100
> off coupon).
>
> Thoughts anyone?
>
> PS - I'm gonna miss you guys once Comca$t pulls the plug -

The only reason it cost that much is they must have put the drain plug
back in the oil pan. The dealer is obligated by law to do a flash
update tune up to 50,000 miles if I understand it correctly. With
30,000 + on the clock I've got about $50 in maintenance cost plus the
cost of a second set of tires, rim, and pressure sensors.

Except for warranty repairs I still have been able to do my own. Can't
even imagine paying a dealer $500 for anything but a hard failure.

Old October 16th 08, 02:12 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Bob I

Holy crap! What all did they do? Change all the lubricants and
consumables plus a 4 wheel alignment ?

Old October 16th 08, 03:00 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
PJ

Bob I wrote:
> Holy crap! What all did they do? Change all the lubricants and
> consumables plus a 4 wheel alignment ?
>
> Roscoe wrote:
>> I just had my 99 FRC in for a 60K tune and lube. It was running Great-
>> I just wanted to follow the maintenance schedule as all good Vette
>> owners do.
>>
>> I took it to the local Chevy dealership as several Vette buddies
>> recommended them. They did a great job from beginning to end, but I was
>> surprised that the bill came to over $500 dollars (including a $100
>> off coupon).
>>
>> Thoughts anyone?
>>
>> PS - I'm gonna miss you guys once Comca$t pulls the plug -

Matters not whether it's a Corvette or Mercedes.
Most dealers have a fixed price for a 50K or
60K service and it's usually total of all the
flat rate manual charge for each line item less
a small discount (5-10%).

Problem is that the car goes into a service bay
and comes out 4 hours later with 16 hours of
flat rate charges. -- and at no time were there
more than 2 guys in that bay with the car.

Suggestion:
1- Do what you can--ex: Inspection of all tire
treads and sidewalls (30 minutes charge at the
dealer -- 20 minutes at home if you have a floor
jack. If your spare time is worth more than $85
an hour, have the dealer do it.

2- Choose local reliable dealers for things
like an oil change or coolant change. Usually
1/2 to 2/3 of the price.

3- 4-wheel alignment. $125 at my local front
end guy, 1.5 hours at the dealer *plus* an
alignment bay surcharge = $ 225.

4- Running a scan on the whole ECM/BCM/Security
system. Probably not needed. Less expensive to
make a date at a dyno-tune operation, get a code
history dump from the ECM. Or, call On-Star,
tell them you thought you saw a Check Engine
light and ask about any codes they see.

5- There are some things that dealers can do
better. I've not had an Active Handling issue
but I'd take a dynamic handling issue to the
dealer. Simple stuff like zeroing the steering
angle sensor has been done by my front-end guy
with no problem.

--
pj
Old October 16th 08, 11:28 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
ZÿRiX[_2_]

> PS - I'm gonna miss you guys once Comca$t pulls the plug -

For any and all that have ISP's like Comcrap, here is a free news service
http://aioe.org/ that carries this group, no sign ups just set it up and
go...

I will tell you my fist time setting it up in outlook express I could not
send out
for the first day after downloading all of the news group headers, Now I
have
No Problem sending or receiving...

Hope to see most of you back...

--
ZÿRiX
(¯`'..(<>..<>)..'´¯)

Old October 16th 08, 11:06 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Roscoe[_2_]

Thanks! Hope to be back (after I recover from my $500 'oil change'!)

Old October 20th 08, 03:29 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
aRKay[_2_]

In article >,
Roscoe > wrote:

> I took it to the local Chevy dealership as several Vette buddies
> recommended them. They did a great job from beginning to end, but I was
> surprised that the bill came to over $500 dollars (including a $100 off
> coupon).
>
> Thoughts anyone?

I hope you enjoyed it!
Old October 21st 08, 12:25 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
PJ

aRKay wrote:
> In article >,
> Roscoe > wrote:
>
>> I took it to the local Chevy dealership as several Vette buddies
>> recommended them. They did a great job from beginning to end, but I was
>> surprised that the bill came to over $500 dollars (including a $100 off
>> coupon).
>>
>> Thoughts anyone?

> I hope you enjoyed it!

Despite my earlier post proposing DIY solutions,
our dealer does have excellent coffee and good
magazines for free. They also have a snack bar
that turns out a fair fried egg sandwich for
less than two bucks.

--
pj

Repair Estimate Jason[_1_] Ford Explorer 3 November 22nd 06 07:56 AM
have repair estimate, need advice [email protected] Audi 9 January 15th 06 04:47 AM
Cost estimate to repaint an Accord? Zelk Honda 2 February 18th 05 04:55 AM
Weight estimate Sparky Honda 0 November 1st 04 06:49 PM
$175 estimate for tune-up-- too much? jbourgeois Honda 7 October 10th 04 12:13 AM