156 MOT

Old May 21st 07, 02:58 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

Default 156 MOT

Hmmm

£450 to get a new ticket on the 156. Might be time to buy something news.

Anyone know any for sale?
Alfa 116 Giulietta 3.0l (Really) Sprint 1.7 75 TS 156 TS S2
Suzuki Bandit 600
Triumph Sprint ST 1050: It's blue, see.
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Old May 21st 07, 05:36 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Zathras

On Mon, 21 May 2007 13:58:30 GMT, Catman
> wrote:

>Hmmm
>
>£450 to get a new ticket on the 156. Might be time to buy something news.

Why do you say that - is there more trouble in store?

>Anyone know any for sale?

Not yet! I put mine in to an independent (after my dealership sold out
to Arnold Clark) and was seriously pleased - service to Alfa spec,
strip lube and rebuild all brakes, replace 5 glow plugs, MOT and a
couple of other things checked. 320UKP all up - the price of an Alfa
dealership small service alone. Labour was 26UKP/hr down from Alfa
80UKP/hr. :-)))

Interestingly, the garage owner (a Subaru WRX owner and rally driver -
currently prepping a 350hp Metro 6R4) kept going on about how torquey
my engine was. I think I totally depressed him when I said I get 42mpg
regardless of how hard I drive it - he gets very low teens out the
Sube - heh heh. Good job I didn't like the look of them when I was
getting the 156.

Scotland
Alfa Romeo 156 2.4JTD Veloce Leather
'Oil' be seeing you..
(Email without 'Alfa' in subject are auto-deleted..sorry!)
Old May 21st 07, 10:28 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

Zathras wrote:
> On Mon, 21 May 2007 13:58:30 GMT, Catman
> > wrote:
>
>> Hmmm
>>
>> £450 to get a new ticket on the 156. Might be time to buy something news.

> Why do you say that - is there more trouble in store?

Apart from that lot, the engine is down on power, and drinking fuel at a
rate of knots.

>> Anyone know any for sale?

> Not yet! I put mine in to an independent (after my dealership sold out
> to Arnold Clark) and was seriously pleased - service to Alfa spec,
> strip lube and rebuild all brakes, replace 5 glow plugs, MOT and a
> couple of other things checked. 320UKP all up - the price of an Alfa
> dealership small service alone. Labour was 26UKP/hr down from Alfa
> 80UKP/hr. :-)))
>
> Interestingly, the garage owner (a Subaru WRX owner and rally driver -
> currently prepping a 350hp Metro 6R4) kept going on about how torquey
> my engine was. I think I totally depressed him when I said I get 42mpg
> regardless of how hard I drive it - he gets very low teens out the
> Sube - heh heh. Good job I didn't like the look of them when I was
> getting the 156.

I'd love a diesel, but they are still a bit dear......

Old May 21st 07, 10:37 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
SteveH

Catman > wrote:

> Zathras wrote:
> > On Mon, 21 May 2007 13:58:30 GMT, Catman
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> Hmmm
> >>
> >> £450 to get a new ticket on the 156. Might be time to buy something news.

> > Why do you say that - is there more trouble in store?

> Apart from that lot, the engine is down on power, and drinking fuel at a
> rate of knots.

Hmmm, was the variator changed on the last cambelt change?

Actually - is the variator triggering? - those symptoms sound like a
variator issue to me - unless you're having issues with the cat and
lambda.
Alfa 156 TSpark - B6 Passat 2.0TDI SE - COSOC KOTL
BOTAFOT #87 - BOTAFOF #18 - MRO # - UKRMSBC #7 - Apostle #2 - YTC #
Old May 22nd 07, 08:36 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Zathras

On Mon, 21 May 2007 19:26:27 GMT, Halmyre > wrote:

>Can you tell us who/where? I think I'm roughly in your neck of the
>woods...

Bishopton Hire and Garage though they call themselves Bishopton
Garage. It's a small garage so no hire cars (the title is historic as
it's been on the go for decades). Note that there are two garages in
Bishopton - the one you want is on the main road at the western end of
the village with the disused petrol forecourt at the front. There is a
train station here so public transport is possible!

I looked at the Alfa service schedule and told them what should be
done in addition to their standard service. The interesting part was
that they were able to source all the service parts on the day even
though it's not a car they've seen before (the 2.4JTD that is) -
though they have rebuilt a cambelt destroyed Alfa petrol engine in a

Old May 22nd 07, 12:36 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

SteveH wrote:
> Catman > wrote:
>
>> Zathras wrote:
>>> On Mon, 21 May 2007 13:58:30 GMT, Catman

>>> Why do you say that - is there more trouble in store?

>> Apart from that lot, the engine is down on power, and drinking fuel at a
>> rate of knots.

> Hmmm, was the variator changed on the last cambelt change?

It was

> Actually - is the variator triggering? - those symptoms sound like a
> variator issue to me - unless you're having issues with the cat and
> lambda.

I suspect the lambda. It drops power suddenly on a cold start when you
want to pull away.

Old May 22nd 07, 03:48 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Simon Mason

"Catman" > wrote in message
> Hmmm
>
> £450 to get a new ticket on the 156. Might be time to buy something news.
>
> Anyone know any for sale?

That's cheap - mine was £1250. Including service.

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net