Maintenance schedule for '03 E46 325i

Old April 17th 07, 11:38 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Giskard Reventlov

Default Maintenance schedule for '03 E46 325i

Hello Everyone,

Looking in my BMW manuals, I see that I'm supposed to bring the car in for
service when the idiot light indicate as much.

Does anyone know where I can find an actual schedule?

You know, oil change every xK, minor service every yK, major service every
zK, etc.

Thanks.

The Rocket Man
Old April 17th 07, 11:46 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jim[_1_]

"Giskard Reventlov" > wrote in message
36...
> Hello Everyone,
>
> Looking in my BMW manuals, I see that I'm supposed to bring the car in for
> service when the idiot light indicate as much.
>
> Does anyone know where I can find an actual schedule?
>
> You know, oil change every xK, minor service every yK, major service every
> zK, etc.
>
> Thanks.
>
> The Rocket Man

Oil change every 15K
Minor service every 30K
Major service every 60K

Brake fluid change every 2 years.
Coolant change every 4 years.

Although most owners of US manufactured cars don't change the brake fluid,
it is a good idea because the stuff absorbs water. The additives in
coolant get exhausted over time.

These numbers come from the service manual (not the owner's manual).

Jim

Old April 17th 07, 11:53 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Giskard Reventlov

"Jim" > wrote in
:

> Oil change every 15K
> Minor service every 30K
> Major service every 60K
>
> Brake fluid change every 2 years.
> Coolant change every 4 years.
>
> Although most owners of US manufactured cars don't change the brake
> fluid, it is a good idea because the stuff absorbs water. The
> additives in coolant get exhausted over time.
>
> These numbers come from the service manual (not the owner's manual).

THANK YOU !!!!!
Old April 18th 07, 12:51 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
Giskard Reventlov > wrote:
> Looking in my BMW manuals, I see that I'm supposed to bring the car in
> for service when the idiot light indicate as much.

> Does anyone know where I can find an actual schedule?

> You know, oil change every xK, minor service every yK, major service
> every zK, etc.

Perhaps you're the idiot for buying a car with an intelligent service
indicator if that's not what you want?

The way a car is used greatly influences the service intervals. If most of
the journeys are long unstressed highway cruises the actual mileage will
be much greater than with lots of short journeys with a heavy right foot.

There are, however, some service requirements which are time based -
namely brake fluid and coolant changes. Also an oil service based on time
if the car does very few miles per year. You'll find details of what is
required in the service book.

--
*I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old April 18th 07, 12:57 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Joe C

Try this link
http://www.bimmerzone.com/inspection.htm

Old April 18th 07, 12:52 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
joe_tide

"Jim" > wrote in message
.. .

> Oil change every 15K
> Minor service every 30K
> Major service every 60K
>
> Brake fluid change every 2 years.
> Coolant change every 4 years.
>
> Although most owners of US manufactured cars don't change the brake fluid,
> it is a good idea because the stuff absorbs water. The additives in
> coolant get exhausted over time.
>
> These numbers come from the service manual (not the owner's manual).
>
> Jim

I just had my E46 in for Inspection 1. I asked them to flush and change the
brake fluid, which they did. I was prepared to pay almost $100 (US) to have
it done since that is what they said they charge when I called before taking
it in. They didn't charge me for the brake fluid change and said it is part
of the deal. Obviously I didn't argue with them, but that service does not
show on the list for Inspection 1.

They also filled it up with gas, washed it, and vacuumed it so who knows?

Along with the stuff previously mentioned, they also changed the pads and
rotors on all 4 corners. No charge. Ya gotta love it!

Old April 18th 07, 01:28 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
John Carrier

If you have your manuals, you should have a booklet titled "Service and
Warranty Information" which has the maintenance schedule for Oil Service,
Inspection I and Inspection II. It also allows for your dealer/tech to
document the service. On your car, the service lights illuminate based on
fuel consumption (only ... so many liters and the lights come on), which
usually runs in the 15-16,000 mile range: Oil, Insp 1, Oil, Insp 2, etc.

You can get the schedules on the BMW owner's circle. To join all you need
is your VIN.

Things not mentioned in the service, but should be:
Differential ... Every 30K (every Inspection is good enough)
P/S fluid ... Every 30K
Manual trans ... Every 30K

I'd also recommend drain and refill of the coolant on a 2 year schedule vice
4.

R / John

Old April 18th 07, 02:20 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 17:38:06 -0500, Giskard Reventlov >
wrote:

>Hello Everyone,
>
>Looking in my BMW manuals, I see that I'm supposed to bring the car in for
>service when the idiot light indicate as much.
>
>Does anyone know where I can find an actual schedule?
>
>You know, oil change every xK, minor service every yK, major service every
>zK, etc.
>
>Thanks.
>
>The Rocket Man

What part of "when the lights go out" don't you understand? Perhaps I can help
- When the green lights go out and the orange one comes on - book it in. If the
red light comes on the car will self destruct within 15 miles if not taken to a
dealer.......

Any clearer?

Hugh
Old April 18th 07, 05:11 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Tom K.

> wrote in message
> On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 17:38:06 -0500, Giskard Reventlov
> >
> wrote:
>
>>Hello Everyone,
>>
>>Looking in my BMW manuals, I see that I'm supposed to bring the car in for
>>service when the idiot light indicate as much.
>>
>>Does anyone know where I can find an actual schedule?
>>
>>You know, oil change every xK, minor service every yK, major service every
>>zK, etc.
>>
>>Thanks.
>>
>>The Rocket Man

> What part of "when the lights go out" don't you understand? Perhaps I can
> help
> - When the green lights go out and the orange one comes on - book it in.
> If the
> red light comes on the car will self destruct within 15 miles if not taken
> to a
> dealer.......
>
> Any clearer?

Actually, on an E46 (at least in the U.S.), the previous green/red lights
have been replaced by a mileage to next service countdown.

Tom K.

Old April 18th 07, 05:20 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Tom K.

"joe_tide" > wrote in message

> "Jim" > wrote in message
> .. .
>>
>> Oil change every 15K
>> Minor service every 30K
>> Major service every 60K
>>
>> Brake fluid change every 2 years.
>> Coolant change every 4 years.
>>
>> Although most owners of US manufactured cars don't change the brake
>> fluid, it is a good idea because the stuff absorbs water. The additives
>> in coolant get exhausted over time.
>>
>> These numbers come from the service manual (not the owner's manual).
>>
>> Jim

> I just had my E46 in for Inspection 1. I asked them to flush and change
> the brake fluid, which they did. I was prepared to pay almost $100 (US) to
> have it done since that is what they said they charge when I called before
> taking it in. They didn't charge me for the brake fluid change and said it
> is part of the deal. Obviously I didn't argue with them, but that service
> does not show on the list for Inspection 1.
>
> They also filled it up with gas, washed it, and vacuumed it so who knows?
>
> Along with the stuff previously mentioned, they also changed the pads and
> rotors on all 4 corners. No charge. Ya gotta love it!

I gather that you are still under the covered maintenance plan (4 yr./50k
miles) so you did quite well. The brake pads/rotors, alone, would normally
run upwards of $1,000 at a dealer, so you're lucky they came due at this
time. By the way, check with your dealer during the 48th (last) month of
the covered service period to see if they'll do the coolant change then as
mine did - every $100 helps.

While my dealer does a wash job & provides a loaner, I've never gotten a gas
fill up!

Tom K.