Cop Dirty Tricks

Old November 7th 05, 04:14 AM
Dave Head

Default Cop Dirty Tricks

Went to a movie at a mall 45 miles away. Since I had to take I-95 in Virginia
to get there, I left _really_ early in case the traffic was at a crawl.

It was, for a while, but I still got there with nearly an hour to kill. The
weather was very nice, so I hung out in front of the theate instead of going in
and standing around in the lobby.

There was a car illegally parked near the theater. After some time, a cop who
was patrolling the theater, and who had his cruiser parked on the movie's
"patio" (what do you call it - they have a whole lot of concrete out in front
of the movie), showed up and wrote a ticket.

Then he waited around, opened the door of the car that was illegally parked,
closed it, etc. Finally he gave up waiting for the person to come back. I
continued to enjoy the night air and eventually observed the person come back
and drive off.

I mentioned it to the cop who was now standing in the theater lobby. He said
he was going to lock the keys in the car ("secure the vehicle", he said, as
some kind of excuse) so as to delay the guy so the tow truck could show up and
haul the car off.

I say that's a dirty trick. Whadda you think?

Fortunately, as dumb as the guy was to park like that, he had his keys with
him, so just drove off.

Dave Head
Old November 7th 05, 04:37 AM
Furious George

Dave Head wrote:
> Went to a movie at a mall 45 miles away. Since I had to take I-95 in Virginia
> to get there, I left _really_ early in case the traffic was at a crawl.

There are no theaters that are less than 45 miles away?

> It was, for a while, but I still got there with nearly an hour to kill. The
> weather was very nice, so I hung out in front of the theate instead of going in
> and standing around in the lobby.
>
> There was a car illegally parked near the theater. After some time, a cop who
> was patrolling the theater, and who had his cruiser parked on the movie's
> "patio" (what do you call it - they have a whole lot of concrete out in front
> of the movie), showed up and wrote a ticket.
>
> Then he waited around, opened the door of the car that was illegally parked,
> closed it, etc. Finally he gave up waiting for the person to come back. I
> continued to enjoy the night air and eventually observed the person come back
> and drive off.
>
> I mentioned it to the cop who was now standing in the theater lobby. He said
> he was going to lock the keys in the car ("secure the vehicle", he said, as
> some kind of excuse) so as to delay the guy so the tow truck could show up and
> haul the car off.
>
> I say that's a dirty trick. Whadda you think?

He should have just put on a Denver Boot.

Old November 7th 05, 04:48 AM
Sir Lex

Dave Head wrote:
><snip>
> I say that's a dirty trick. Whadda you think?
>
> Fortunately, as dumb as the guy was to park like that, he had his keys with
> him, so just drove off.
>
> Dave Head

If someone had parked their car for that long with the keys in the car
and the doors unlocked, then I would have thought it would be the cops
duty to "secure" the vehicle so that it didn't get stolen.

Do people in that area really leave their keys in the car so often that
it's worth a coppers time to check?
Old November 7th 05, 04:50 AM
Dave Head

On 6 Nov 2005 20:37:35 -0800, "Furious George" > wrote:

>Dave Head wrote:
>> Went to a movie at a mall 45 miles away. Since I had to take I-95 in Virginia
>> to get there, I left _really_ early in case the traffic was at a crawl.

>There are no theaters that are less than 45 miles away?

"Good Night and Good Luck" is in limited release, and that's the closest
theater running it.

>> It was, for a while, but I still got there with nearly an hour to kill. The
>> weather was very nice, so I hung out in front of the theate instead of going in
>> and standing around in the lobby.
>>
>> There was a car illegally parked near the theater. After some time, a cop who
>> was patrolling the theater, and who had his cruiser parked on the movie's
>> "patio" (what do you call it - they have a whole lot of concrete out in front
>> of the movie), showed up and wrote a ticket.
>>
>> Then he waited around, opened the door of the car that was illegally parked,
>> closed it, etc. Finally he gave up waiting for the person to come back. I
>> continued to enjoy the night air and eventually observed the person come back
>> and drive off.
>>
>> I mentioned it to the cop who was now standing in the theater lobby. He said
>> he was going to lock the keys in the car ("secure the vehicle", he said, as
>> some kind of excuse) so as to delay the guy so the tow truck could show up and
>> haul the car off.
>>
>> I say that's a dirty trick. Whadda you think?

>He should have just put on a Denver Boot.

I think those are dirty tricks too. The guy could have had a really good
reason for being there - some kind of emergency. He could also have been
priveleged traffic - undercover cop, etc.

Something like locking the keys in the car or a boot is being used as
punishment before any due process occurs. If the person had a really good
reason, or was privileged traffic, he could take a ticket to court and get it
dismissed. With tactics like this being used, the punishment occurs before the
court proceding. That's wrong.

Dave Head

Old November 7th 05, 04:53 AM
Dave Head

On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 15:48:55 +1100, Sir Lex > wrote:

>Dave Head wrote:
>><snip>
>> I say that's a dirty trick. Whadda you think?
>>
>> Fortunately, as dumb as the guy was to park like that, he had his keys with
>> him, so just drove off.
>>
>> Dave Head

>If someone had parked their car for that long with the keys in the car
>and the doors unlocked, then I would have thought it would be the cops
>duty to "secure" the vehicle so that it didn't get stolen.

Well, maybe that is a good point. Still, it would have been done so as to
delay the person driving off so the car could be towed, causing further grief.
Maybe the action would have been OK but the reason would not be, I think.

>Do people in that area really leave their keys in the car so often that
>it's worth a coppers time to check?

Doubtful - at least this guy didn't. I don't. I think the ones that do
probably lose their cars within a few weeks.

Dave Head

Old November 7th 05, 05:26 AM
Furious George

Dave Head wrote:
> On 6 Nov 2005 20:37:35 -0800, "Furious George" > wrote:
>

> >Dave Head wrote:
> >> Went to a movie at a mall 45 miles away. Since I had to take I-95 in Virginia
> >> to get there, I left _really_ early in case the traffic was at a crawl.

> >There are no theaters that are less than 45 miles away?

> "Good Night and Good Luck" is in limited release, and that's the closest
> theater running it.
>

> >> It was, for a while, but I still got there with nearly an hour to kill. The
> >> weather was very nice, so I hung out in front of the theate instead of going in
> >> and standing around in the lobby.
> >>
> >> There was a car illegally parked near the theater. After some time, a cop who
> >> was patrolling the theater, and who had his cruiser parked on the movie's
> >> "patio" (what do you call it - they have a whole lot of concrete out in front
> >> of the movie), showed up and wrote a ticket.
> >>
> >> Then he waited around, opened the door of the car that was illegally parked,
> >> closed it, etc. Finally he gave up waiting for the person to come back. I
> >> continued to enjoy the night air and eventually observed the person come back
> >> and drive off.
> >>
> >> I mentioned it to the cop who was now standing in the theater lobby. He said
> >> he was going to lock the keys in the car ("secure the vehicle", he said, as
> >> some kind of excuse) so as to delay the guy so the tow truck could show up and
> >> haul the car off.
> >>
> >> I say that's a dirty trick. Whadda you think?

> >He should have just put on a Denver Boot.

> I think those are dirty tricks too. The guy could have had a really good
> reason for being there - some kind of emergency. He could also have been
> priveleged traffic - undercover cop, etc.

They have ambulances for emergencies.

As for undercover cops, imagine this dialogue.
Drug Dealer: What gives? Most people who park in the firelane get
towed. How come you didn't get towed?
Undercover Cop: Because I'm an undercover cop. It's what we in the
business call professional courtesy.
Drug Dealer: Whatever. How much dope do you want?
Undercover Cop: Can you speak lounder and into the hidden mike. Sarge
in the van can't hear you.

Old November 7th 05, 01:04 PM
Jim Yanik

Dave Head > wrote in
:

> Went to a movie at a mall 45 miles away. Since I had to take I-95 in
> Virginia to get there, I left _really_ early in case the traffic was
> at a crawl.
>
> It was, for a while, but I still got there with nearly an hour to
> kill. The weather was very nice, so I hung out in front of the theate
> instead of going in and standing around in the lobby.
>
> There was a car illegally parked near the theater. After some time, a
> cop who was patrolling the theater, and who had his cruiser parked on
> the movie's "patio" (what do you call it - they have a whole lot of
> concrete out in front of the movie), showed up and wrote a ticket.
>
> Then he waited around, opened the door of the car that was illegally
> parked, closed it, etc. Finally he gave up waiting for the person to
> come back. I continued to enjoy the night air and eventually observed
> the person come back and drive off.
>
> I mentioned it to the cop who was now standing in the theater lobby.
> He said he was going to lock the keys in the car ("secure the
> vehicle", he said, as some kind of excuse) so as to delay the guy so
> the tow truck could show up and haul the car off.
>
> I say that's a dirty trick. Whadda you think?
>
> Fortunately, as dumb as the guy was to park like that, he had his keys
> with him, so just drove off.
>
> Dave Head

Suppose the car got stolen,and then used in a crime,or killed someone
during the joyride? (or just crashed into another car?)

IMO;not a dirty trick.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old November 7th 05, 01:11 PM
Jim Yanik

Dave Head > wrote in
:

> On 6 Nov 2005 20:37:35 -0800, "Furious George" >
> wrote:
>

>>Dave Head wrote:
>>> Went to a movie at a mall 45 miles away. Since I had to take I-95
>>> in Virginia to get there, I left _really_ early in case the traffic
>>> was at a crawl.

>>There are no theaters that are less than 45 miles away?

> "Good Night and Good Luck" is in limited release, and that's the
> closest theater running it.
>

>>> It was, for a while, but I still got there with nearly an hour to
>>> kill. The weather was very nice, so I hung out in front of the
>>> theate instead of going in and standing around in the lobby.
>>>
>>> There was a car illegally parked near the theater. After some time,
>>> a cop who was patrolling the theater, and who had his cruiser parked
>>> on the movie's "patio" (what do you call it - they have a whole lot
>>> of concrete out in front of the movie), showed up and wrote a
>>> ticket.
>>>
>>> Then he waited around, opened the door of the car that was illegally
>>> parked, closed it, etc. Finally he gave up waiting for the person
>>> to come back. I continued to enjoy the night air and eventually
>>> observed the person come back and drive off.
>>>
>>> I mentioned it to the cop who was now standing in the theater lobby.
>>> He said he was going to lock the keys in the car ("secure the
>>> vehicle", he said, as some kind of excuse) so as to delay the guy so
>>> the tow truck could show up and haul the car off.
>>>
>>> I say that's a dirty trick. Whadda you think?

>>He should have just put on a Denver Boot.

> I think those are dirty tricks too. The guy could have had a really
> good reason for being there - some kind of emergency.

Such as?

> He could also
> have been priveleged traffic - undercover cop, etc.

That might show up when the LEO ran the plates of the improperly parked
auto.

> Something like locking the keys in the car or a boot is being used as
> punishment before any due process occurs.

More like "caught in the act".The crime has been committed.
A LEO does not have to wait for a court ruling to shoot a person
threatening another's life.

> If the person had a really
> good reason, or was privileged traffic, he could take a ticket to
> court and get it dismissed. With tactics like this being used, the
> punishment occurs before the court proceding. That's wrong.

No,it's not.

The car was also probably blocking a FIRE LANE.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old November 7th 05, 03:10 PM
Dan J.S.

"Dave Head" > wrote in message
> Went to a movie at a mall 45 miles away. Since I had to take I-95 in
> Virginia
> to get there, I left _really_ early in case the traffic was at a crawl.
>
> It was, for a while, but I still got there with nearly an hour to kill.
> The
> weather was very nice, so I hung out in front of the theate instead of
> going in
> and standing around in the lobby.
>
> There was a car illegally parked near the theater. After some time, a cop
> who
> was patrolling the theater, and who had his cruiser parked on the movie's
> "patio" (what do you call it - they have a whole lot of concrete out in
> front
> of the movie), showed up and wrote a ticket.
>
> Then he waited around, opened the door of the car that was illegally
> parked,
> closed it, etc. Finally he gave up waiting for the person to come back.
> continued to enjoy the night air and eventually observed the person come
> back
> and drive off.
>
> I mentioned it to the cop who was now standing in the theater lobby. He
> said
> he was going to lock the keys in the car ("secure the vehicle", he said,
> as
> some kind of excuse) so as to delay the guy so the tow truck could show up
> and
> haul the car off.
>
> I say that's a dirty trick. Whadda you think?
>
> Fortunately, as dumb as the guy was to park like that, he had his keys
> with
> him, so just drove off.
>
> Dave Head

Honestly - who goes to the movies any more? With Netflix, home entertainment
systems, and the ability to pause, movie theaters lose their appeal more and
more. Imagine how much aggravation you are saving as well.

Old November 7th 05, 05:18 PM
Mike T.

"Dave Head" > wrote in message
> Went to a movie at a mall 45 miles away. Since I had to take I-95 in
> Virginia
> to get there, I left _really_ early in case the traffic was at a crawl.
>
> It was, for a while, but I still got there with nearly an hour to kill.
> The
> weather was very nice, so I hung out in front of the theate instead of
> going in
> and standing around in the lobby.
>
> There was a car illegally parked near the theater. After some time, a cop
> who
> was patrolling the theater, and who had his cruiser parked on the movie's
> "patio" (what do you call it - they have a whole lot of concrete out in
> front
> of the movie), showed up and wrote a ticket.
>
> Then he waited around, opened the door of the car that was illegally
> parked,
> closed it, etc. Finally he gave up waiting for the person to come back.
> continued to enjoy the night air and eventually observed the person come
> back
> and drive off.
>
> I mentioned it to the cop who was now standing in the theater lobby. He
> said
> he was going to lock the keys in the car

Does not compute. If the cop could have done this, that would mean that the
car was illegally parked, unlocked, with the keys in it. (begging to be
stolen) -Dave