Is Handicapped Parking also Commercial Parking?

Old October 28th 05, 03:48 PM
DYM

Default Is Handicapped Parking also Commercial Parking?

John David Galt > wrote in news:djkht3$35a
:

> Scott en Aztlán wrote:
>> BTW, since I know someone is going to ask, IBJAM stands for I'll Be
>> Just A Minute. It refers to the people who believe that temporal
>> brevity is the equivalent of diplomatic licence plates, allowing them
>> to park wherever they want as long as their vehicle is blocking
>> traffic for "just a minute."

> For what it's worth, in some places I have often felt the need to use
> the IBJAM excuse to park in a fire-hydrant spot. OTOH, it would be my
> problem if a fire happened - I've talked to fire fighters and they will
> take an axe and run the hose through your car.
>
> But a fire hydrant spot doesn't block people any other time. And the
> delivery truck people will park in the lane rather than use one. Go
> figure.

When I was a kid in Philly, I saw what happened to a car that parked next
to the hydrant. It was February and the fireman didn't quite get a good
seal when hooking up. It was spraying about 2 gal/minute on the car. By
the time they were done fighting the fire, the car was encased in a foot
thick block of ice. Hope it was a nice car. BTW, this was in Chestnut
Hill along Germantown Ave.

Doug
Old October 29th 05, 12:04 AM
The Real Bev

Scott en Chicago wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 19:36:14 -0700, The Real Bev
> > wrote:
>
>>>On Sunday I was sitting at a table in a small food court when an IBJAM
>>>in a Lexus pulled up to the curb, let his girlfriend out, and then sat
>>>there idling his engine despite the availability of a perfectly good
>>>parking space less than 10 feet away.

>>If he'd parked and turned off the engine his AC wouldn't work

> His windows were open. Of course, that's no proof that he wasn't
> running his A/C...

People run their heaters or AC in top-down convertibles. Go figure.

>>and as long as he
>>wasn't going to turn off the engine he might as well stay right where he was.

> And block traffic?

Nobody said he wasn't a rude son of a bitch.

>>Consider the possibility of investing in a fireman costume, an axe and 50 feet
>>of hose...

> I have all that stuff, but unfortunately it was sitting in the closet
> at home when I needed it.

A woman would have been prepared. Why do you think our handbags are so heavy?

--
Cheers, Bev
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old October 29th 05, 12:06 AM
The Real Bev

Dave wrote:
> The Real Bev wrote:
>>If he'd parked and turned off the engine his AC wouldn't work, and as long as he
>>wasn't going to turn off the engine he might as well stay right where he was.
>>Consider the possibility of investing in a fireman costume, an axe and 50 feet
>>of hose...
>>
>>[For entertainment purposes only, not intended as instructions, do not taunt
>>Happy Fun Ball]

> Reminds me of my Happy Fun Car, AKA Dave's First Car, aka a Mustang
> that would turn off (aka stall out) if you took your foot off the gas.
> The AC worked though, as long as your food was on the gas.

Everybody had a car that you had to keep feeding gas to or it would stall.
Setting the idle higher just made the engine race. Lesser of two evils.

Old October 29th 05, 12:08 AM
The Real Bev

Scott en Chicago wrote:
> On 27 Oct 2005 22:43:06 -0700, "Dave" > wrote:
>
>>>[For entertainment purposes only, not intended as instructions, do not taunt
>>>Happy Fun Ball]

>>Reminds me of my Happy Fun Car, AKA Dave's First Car, aka a Mustang
>>that would turn off (aka stall out) if you took your foot off the gas.

> Reminds me of the "extra life" powerups in DOOM. They were little
> speheres that you picked up to get an extra life in the game; we
> called them Happy Fun Balls.

A test for the younguns among us -- who invented the Happy Fun Ball?

Old October 29th 05, 12:44 AM
Matthew Russotto

In article >,
The Real Bev > wrote:
>Scott en Chicago wrote:

>>>If he'd parked and turned off the engine his AC wouldn't work

>> His windows were open. Of course, that's no proof that he wasn't
>> running his A/C...

>People run their heaters or AC in top-down convertibles. Go figure.

Heats or cools the driver's face, feet, and/or hands while keeping the
convertible experience intact.
result in a fully-depreciated one.
Old October 29th 05, 12:52 AM
The Real Bev

Matthew Russotto wrote:
> The Real Bev > wrote:
>>Scott en Chicago wrote:

>>>His windows were open. Of course, that's no proof that he wasn't
>>>running his A/C...

>>People run their heaters or AC in top-down convertibles. Go figure.

> Heats or cools the driver's face, feet, and/or hands while keeping the
> convertible experience intact.

....for very small values of "intact".

--
Cheers, Bev
=====================================
Old October 29th 05, 02:29 AM
Matthew Russotto

In article >,
The Real Bev > wrote:
>Matthew Russotto wrote:
>> The Real Bev > wrote:
>>>
>>>People run their heaters or AC in top-down convertibles. Go figure.

>> Heats or cools the driver's face, feet, and/or hands while keeping the
>> convertible experience intact.

>...for very small values of "intact".

Large values of intact. Rather small values of "heats" and "cools",
though, particularly "cools". (that's top down and _windows open_, mind you)

result in a fully-depreciated one.
Old October 29th 05, 02:35 AM
The Real Bev

Matthew Russotto wrote:

> The Real Bev > wrote:
>
>>Matthew Russotto wrote:

>>>Heats or cools the driver's face, feet, and/or hands while keeping the
>>>convertible experience intact.

>>...for very small values of "intact".

> Large values of intact. Rather small values of "heats" and "cools",
> though, particularly "cools". (that's top down and _windows open_, mind you)

You misunderstand. An "intact" convertible experience requires excessive wind,
excessive heat, excessive cold or excessive moisture. Anything that reduces the
excess also reduces the intactness of the convertible experience.

What I find amazing is that we actually used to smoke in my friend's Morris
convertible. True, we had to hunch over so our heads were near the floor, but
still...

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old October 29th 05, 02:32 PM
Scott en Chicago

On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 16:04:44 -0700, The Real Bev
> wrote:

>>>If he'd parked and turned off the engine his AC wouldn't work

>> His windows were open. Of course, that's no proof that he wasn't
>> running his A/C...

>People run their heaters or AC in top-down convertibles.

With their windows all rolled up.

>Go figure.

Indeed. These idiots should save the money and just buy a coupe with a
sunroof.

>>>Consider the possibility of investing in a fireman costume, an axe and 50 feet
>>>of hose...

>> I have all that stuff, but unfortunately it was sitting in the closet
>> at home when I needed it.
>>

>A woman would have been prepared. Why do you think our handbags are so heavy?

Is your real name Mary Poppins?

Old October 31st 05, 05:17 PM
Alex Rodriguez

In article . com>,
says...

http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/8586/handi11ei.jpg

>http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/174/handi22rw.jpg
>
>DEL MAR, CA - Apparently since he was just in the striped area, he
>didn't feel it was part of the handicapped spot, or that he was
>obstructing the view of a narrow driveway.
>
>I never used to see businesses hijacking handicapped spots, but over
>the past few months it's become quite commonplace in the San Diego
>area. Is this a new trend, or did I just never notice what
>inconsiderate jackasses people are?

What's the big deal? Just give them tickets. After a while they will get the
message.
Alex