Audi Reliability Unacceptable by US Standards

Old November 6th 10, 08:41 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
laurentien

Default Audi Reliability Unacceptable by US Standards

Hi,

what matters is that you get a car that handles well and behaves likes
a sports car and this does not mean having a big engine. So, we want
good braking and excellent road handling.

This is usually in those areas where the Japanese cars are weaker and
French or Italian doing so much better.

I repeat this figure since this is the one that counts:
Handling skidpad BMW = 0.91g
Handling skidpad IS-350 = 0.81g

Even if 0.10gs may not sound like much, but at those levels, it means
a great deal of difference in road holding and cornering hability. For
example, a simple Peugeot 405 (which were sold in the USA for a while)
has 0.85g, better than a very expensive Lexus. If you look for a
Peugeot 605 and 607, they match Citroen XM or later C6 and reach 0.93,
better than an M5. I could show you that Alfa Romeo and the newer big
Volvos (designed with Renault's knowledge) offers similar figures.

If you live near the Mountains and want to have a good time on a curvy
road, better buy a European made car. Road handling can also mean
saving the life of your family in extreme occasions. That is why the
Japanese do not sell much in Europe.

Braking 60-0 BMW = 117 ft. / 35 meters (pretty good)
Braking 60-0 IS350 = 133 ft / 40 meters (YIKES!)

This is a 5 meters difference. As you point you, a whole car length.
Well, in all the car test reports, I have always realised that the
weak link for Japanese cars is braking. Toyota is renowned for fitting
small brakes which will have to lock in order to stop rapidly. Proper
braking also means saving your family's life.

Bests

LHR

Old November 6th 10, 11:45 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
David

> BMW sucks horse cock.
>
> I had a 2007 BMW 335i (6spd, twin turbo, 2dr coupe).

Model now replaced / updated to E92 LCI, thousands of changes (mostly
software)

> My steering wheel lock sensor
> malfunctioned (didn't affect the performance of the car just displayed
> an annoying red light on the dash display that could not be
> overriden).

Had this one one of my E90s, could be over-ridden, but sorted under
warranty.

>Then the fuel pump went on a car with 49,000 miles. Since
> this was a factory defect (still ongoing for the last 4 years with all
> 3.5 liter twin turbo BMW engines) they replaced it for free.

Actually, 3.0 litre engines.

I don't like BMW or their cars very much, but no other manufacturer makes a
turbo diesel straight six engine. The V six diesels from MB and Audi are not
for me for a variety of reasons.

David (another one)

Old November 6th 10, 11:54 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
D. LaCourse

On 2010-11-06 03:49:50 -0400, Kyle Dresden > said:

> Keep on wanking your little pud.
>
> There is a reason that the hot 20-30 year olds laugh at old men like
> you driving german cars... because you've got a case of arrested
> development, living in the 80's thinking they're better. Keep banging
> that old nasty **** while your daughter ****s a Lexus owner.

My, my. Aren't we the angry little boy. Was it something I said?
d;o) Do you talk like that in front of your mother? Nasty little
thing. If you can't express yourself without being obscene, don't.
Even your mommy would advise you on that.

Be well, wannabe.

Dave

Old November 6th 10, 12:15 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
D. LaCourse

On 2010-11-06 04:41:01 -0400, laurentien > said:

> Hi,
>
> what matters is that you get a car that handles well and behaves likes
> a sports car and this does not mean having a big engine. So, we want
> good braking and excellent road handling.
>
> This is usually in those areas where the Japanese cars are weaker and
> French or Italian doing so much better.
>
> I repeat this figure since this is the one that counts:
> Handling skidpad BMW = 0.91g
> Handling skidpad IS-350 = 0.81g
>
> Even if 0.10gs may not sound like much, but at those levels, it means
> a great deal of difference in road holding and cornering hability. For
> example, a simple Peugeot 405 (which were sold in the USA for a while)
> has 0.85g, better than a very expensive Lexus. If you look for a
> Peugeot 605 and 607, they match Citroen XM or later C6 and reach 0.93,
> better than an M5. I could show you that Alfa Romeo and the newer big
> Volvos (designed with Renault's knowledge) offers similar figures.
>
> If you live near the Mountains and want to have a good time on a curvy
> road, better buy a European made car. Road handling can also mean
> saving the life of your family in extreme occasions. That is why the
> Japanese do not sell much in Europe.
>
> Braking 60-0 BMW = 117 ft. / 35 meters (pretty good)
> Braking 60-0 IS350 = 133 ft / 40 meters (YIKES!)
>
> This is a 5 meters difference. As you point you, a whole car length.
> Well, in all the car test reports, I have always realised that the
> weak link for Japanese cars is braking. Toyota is renowned for fitting
> small brakes which will have to lock in order to stop rapidly. Proper
> braking also means saving your family's life.
>
> Bests
>
> LHR

Exactly! Braking, agility, and road holding are, to me, more important
than acceleration. As far a Gs are concerned, 0.10g is an enormous
difference, and could indeed mean the difference between making a turn
under an emergency, or going of the road.

Peugeot 405s were sold in this country during the 80s. My boss's boss
owned one and he seemed happy with it. However, I believe they did not
sell well because of styling and reliability. They certainly know how
to make a race car, giving the Audi R10s a run for the money in the
Petit le Mans series here in the States, and the actual le Mans race in
France. I saw the 10 hour race at Road Atlanta this year where Peugeot
came in 1-2 with their HDI deisels. Unfortunately for me, Audi came in
3rd. d;o( Remember, however, that Audi started the deisel racing
development, so I am sure they will be back. The Peugeot is closed
cockpit as opposed to Audi's open cockpit. I'm sure that makes a
difference.

Saw lots of BMWs, Jaguars, Ferraris, Porsches, Corvettes, but no
Lexuses. Strange, huh? d;o)

Be well.

Dave

Old November 6th 10, 01:37 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
David

>If you live near the Mountains and want to have a good time on a curvy
>road, better buy a European made car. Road handling can also mean
>saving the life of your family in extreme occasions. That is why the
>Japanese do not sell much in Europe.

For a long time, Japanese manufacturers (altogether) had a total maximum
import quota of 11% of the new car market in Europe.
That includes Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Subaru, Daihatsu, Suzuki, Mitsubishi,
Mazda and Isuzu.

This was overcome by opening factories to make their cars in Europe.

regards

David

Old November 7th 10, 02:03 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Clive[_2_]

In message <2010110608153675249-davplac@aolcom>, D. LaCourse
> writes
>They certainly know how to make a race car, giving the Audi R10s a run
>for the money in the Petit le Mans series here in the States, and the
>actual le Mans race in France. I saw the 10 hour race at Road Atlanta
>this year where Peugeot came in 1-2 with their HDI deisels.

In the real Le Mans in France, the Audis took all three top positions,
whilst all three of the Peugeots blew up.
--
Clive

Old November 7th 10, 02:05 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Kyle Dresden

On Sat, 6 Nov 2010 01:41:01 -0700 (PDT), laurentien
> wrote:

>Handling skidpad BMW = 0.91g
>Handling skidpad IS-350 = 0.81g

>Braking 60-0 BMW = 117 ft. / 35 meters (pretty good)
>Braking 60-0 IS350 = 133 ft / 40 meters (YIKES!)

A lot of people don't realize they can add F-Sport accessories to the
IS350, get numbers on skidpad and braking that exceed the BMW model
equivalent, and pay a lot less GermanTax.

I actually like BMW in many ways but I never understood the "bimmer
goggles" people get which prompt them to ignore reality.

You quoted numbers from a stock IS350 without sport package much less
F-Sport addons, yet only mentioned the three-letter BMW acronym in
your comparison with no model name and proof that you are even
comparing similarly configured cars.
Old November 7th 10, 12:18 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
D. LaCourse

On 2010-11-06 22:03:58 -0400, Clive > said:

> In message <2010110608153675249-davplac@aolcom>, D. LaCourse
> > writes
>> They certainly know how to make a race car, giving the Audi R10s a run
>> for the money in the Petit le Mans series here in the States, and the
>> actual le Mans race in France. I saw the 10 hour race at Road Atlanta
>> this year where Peugeot came in 1-2 with their HDI deisels.

> In the real Le Mans in France, the Audis took all three top positions,
> whilst all three of the Peugeots blew up.

But, they were the only threat to Audi's wins. Both companies produce
excellent high tech deisels. The muffled purr as they raced by me at
Road Atlanta was something to behold.

Dave

Old November 7th 10, 12:32 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
D. LaCourse

On 2010-11-06 22:05:46 -0400, Kyle Dresden > said:

> On Sat, 6 Nov 2010 01:41:01 -0700 (PDT), laurentien
> > wrote:
>

>> Handling skidpad BMW = 0.91g
>> Handling skidpad IS-350 = 0.81g

>> Braking 60-0 BMW = 117 ft. / 35 meters (pretty good)
>> Braking 60-0 IS350 = 133 ft / 40 meters (YIKES!)

> A lot of people don't realize they can add F-Sport accessories to the
> IS350, get numbers on skidpad and braking that exceed the BMW model
> equivalent, and pay a lot less GermanTax.

Adding F-Sport accessories is expensive, right. The BMW335i which IS a
comparable automobile doesn't need them. For Lexus to build a street
car with a stopping distance of 133 feet is shameful. I don't know
what you mean by German Tax.

> I actually like BMW in many ways but I never understood the "bimmer
> goggles" people get which prompt them to ignore reality.

It's called brand loyalty. I don't understand why people continue to
buy Buicks or Cadillacs or Chrysler products.

> You quoted numbers from a stock IS350 without sport package much less
> F-Sport addons, yet only mentioned the three-letter BMW acronym in
> your comparison with no model name and proof that you are even
> comparing similarly configured cars.

I mentioned that the BMW was a 335, exacly what the IS-350 is in buying
competition with.

"Let's toss some numbers out ....... lesseeee......
Aha!
price of BMW 335I US$47,625 well equipped.
price of IS350 US$49,415 well equipped.
Advantage: BMW"

They are similarly priced, equipped, and are in direct competition with
one another. The BMW has a 3 liter engine and the Lexus a 3.5 liter
engine, putting out about equal power. If you add F-Sport options,
your IS350 is going to get into the M3 area pricewise, maybe even into
the BMW535I price range. Believe me, it's not worth it, unless of
course you are a boy racer. No one should have to pay extra to have a
car stop from 60-0 in less than 120 feet. That 133 ft on the IS-350 is
horrible, AND dangerous. Think about it.

Dave

Old November 7th 10, 06:26 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Clive[_2_]

In message <2010110707183116807-davplac@aolcom>, D. LaCourse
> writes
>But, they were the only threat to Audi's wins. Both companies produce
>excellent high tech deisels. The muffled purr as they raced by me at
>Road Atlanta was something to behold.

Here in Europe, Peugeot have long had a reputation for quiet diesels,
but that's more to do with the pre-chamber technique, VAG has never been
approached for diesels anywhere until common rail, 2000 bar pressures
and five injections per combustion cycle arrived, now I think it's
between Bosch of Germany and Nippon-Denso of Japan. I can't see any
other manufacturer in the running.
--
Clive

RSC behavior UNACCEPTABLE reggie white Simulators 9 August 30th 05 08:38 PM
2004 Audi A8 Reliability Problems Streetrunner Audi 5 January 4th 05 02:42 AM
Very medicore mech reliability JD Power scores for 2001 Audi A6? [email protected] Technology 4 December 22nd 04 12:34 PM
Audi All Road reliability LIW Audi 2 November 3rd 04 08:39 PM
95 audi 90 reliability? andy Audi 2 November 3rd 04 01:21 AM