Another car plows through a street fair

Old June 3rd 07, 08:13 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Peter Lawrence

Default Another car plows through a street fair

This time it wasn't some senior citizen, but a 30-year-old woman who
plowed through at 70 MPH.

The details:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/06/02/ped....ap/index.html

"WASHINGTON (AP) -- A woman plowed her car through a crowded street
festival Saturday night, injuring about 35 people, including two police
officers who drove their motor scooters into her path attempting to stop
her, authorities said.

Police said seven of the victims, including two children under age 3,
suffered major injuries.

Officers caught up with the driver, whom they identified as Tonya Bell,
30, of Oxon Hill, Maryland, near the site of the festival in the city's
Anacostia neighborhood.

She was arrested and charged with aggravated assault while armed. The
"armed" part of the charge refers to the car. District of Columbia
Police Chief Cathy L. Lanier said additional charges are pending.

Police said Bell had a 7-year-old child in the car with her.

They were conducting blood tests that would show whether alcohol or
drugs were involved."

- Peter
Old June 3rd 07, 06:21 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Arif Khokar

Peter Lawrence wrote:

> This time it wasn't some senior citizen, but a 30-year-old woman who
> plowed through at 70 MPH.
>
> The details:
>
> http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/06/02/ped....ap/index.html

Was Russell Weller even charged at the scene when he did practically the
same thing?
Old June 3rd 07, 09:39 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Murderous Speeding Drunken Driver

Peter Lawrence wrote:
>This time it wasn't some senior citizen, but a 30-year-old woman who
>plowed through at 70 MPH.
>
>The details:
>
>http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/06/02/ped....ap/index.html
>
>"WASHINGTON (AP) -- A woman plowed her car through a crowded street
>festival Saturday night, injuring about 35 people, including two police
>officers who drove their motor scooters into her path attempting to stop
>her, authorities said.
>
>Police said seven of the victims, including two children under age 3,
>suffered major injuries.
>
>Officers caught up with the driver, whom they identified as Tonya Bell,
>30, of Oxon Hill, Maryland, near the site of the festival in the city's
>Anacostia neighborhood.
>
>She was arrested and charged with aggravated assault while armed. The
>"armed" part of the charge refers to the car. District of Columbia
>Police Chief Cathy L. Lanier said additional charges are pending.
>
>Police said Bell had a 7-year-old child in the car with her.
>
>They were conducting blood tests that would show whether alcohol or
>drugs were involved."
>

>- Peter

That should prove sufficient cause to examine such venues when you
enter them, to verify that sufficient traffic control barriers are in
place.

--

We're all here
because we're not all there.
Old June 3rd 07, 10:47 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Brent P[_1_]

In article >, Arif Khokar wrote:
> Peter Lawrence wrote:
>
>> This time it wasn't some senior citizen, but a 30-year-old woman who
>> plowed through at 70 MPH.
>>
>> The details:
>>
>> http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/06/02/ped....ap/index.html

> Was Russell Weller even charged at the scene when he did practically the
> same thing?

Probably not, and if so nothing beyond traffic tickets.

Prediction for this case: driver was on one or more medications for
'depression'.

Old June 4th 07, 12:59 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Murderous Speeding Drunken Driver wrote:
> Peter Lawrence wrote:
>
>>This time it wasn't some senior citizen, but a 30-year-old woman who
>>plowed through at 70 MPH.
>>
>>The details:
>>
>>http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/06/02/ped....ap/index.html
>>
>>"WASHINGTON (AP) -- A woman plowed her car through a crowded street
>>festival Saturday night, injuring about 35 people, including two police
>>officers who drove their motor scooters into her path attempting to stop
>>her, authorities said.
>>
>>Police said seven of the victims, including two children under age 3,
>>suffered major injuries.
>>
>>Officers caught up with the driver, whom they identified as Tonya Bell,
>>30, of Oxon Hill, Maryland, near the site of the festival in the city's
>>Anacostia neighborhood.
>>
>>She was arrested and charged with aggravated assault while armed. The
>>"armed" part of the charge refers to the car. District of Columbia
>>Police Chief Cathy L. Lanier said additional charges are pending.
>>
>>Police said Bell had a 7-year-old child in the car with her.
>>
>>They were conducting blood tests that would show whether alcohol or
>>drugs were involved."
>>

>>- Peter

> That should prove sufficient cause to examine such venues when you
> enter them, to verify that sufficient traffic control barriers are in
> place.

I'd offer that you'd *have* to be drunk to deliberately drive through
Anacostia, outside of the Anacostia Freeway, Minnesota Ave., or other
direct route through/in/out. It's the ugliest part of an ugly city.

Or perhaps she was trying to get out and panicked when she was blocked in...

nate

(I'm only kinda kidding. It really is a hole)

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old June 4th 07, 01:55 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS[_1_]

Peter Lawrence wrote:
> This time it wasn't some senior citizen, but a 30-year-old woman who
> plowed through at 70 MPH.
>
> The details:
>
> http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/06/02/ped....ap/index.html
>
> "WASHINGTON (AP) -- A woman plowed her car through a crowded street
> festival Saturday night, injuring about 35 people, including two police
> officers who drove their motor scooters into her path attempting to stop
> her, authorities said.
>
> Police said seven of the victims, including two children under age 3,
> suffered major injuries.
>
> Officers caught up with the driver, whom they identified as Tonya Bell,
> 30, of Oxon Hill, Maryland, near the site of the festival in the city's
> Anacostia neighborhood.
>
> She was arrested and charged with aggravated assault while armed. The
> "armed" part of the charge refers to the car. District of Columbia
> Police Chief Cathy L. Lanier said additional charges are pending.
>
> Police said Bell had a 7-year-old child in the car with her.
>
> They were conducting blood tests that would show whether alcohol or
> drugs were involved."
>

> - Peter

Sounds like attempted murder to me. Maybe a 100 counts. This is worse
than shooting a gun into a crowd.

Cheers to those cops who drove into her path.
Old June 4th 07, 02:11 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS wrote:
>Peter Lawrence wrote:
>> This time it wasn't some senior citizen, but a 30-year-old woman who
>> plowed through at 70 MPH.
>>
>> The details:
>>
>> http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/06/02/ped....ap/index.html
>>
>> "WASHINGTON (AP) -- A woman plowed her car through a crowded street
>> festival Saturday night, injuring about 35 people, including two police
>> officers who drove their motor scooters into her path attempting to stop
>> her, authorities said.
>>
>> Police said seven of the victims, including two children under age 3,
>> suffered major injuries.
>>
>> Officers caught up with the driver, whom they identified as Tonya Bell,
>> 30, of Oxon Hill, Maryland, near the site of the festival in the city's
>> Anacostia neighborhood.
>>
>> She was arrested and charged with aggravated assault while armed. The
>> "armed" part of the charge refers to the car. District of Columbia
>> Police Chief Cathy L. Lanier said additional charges are pending.
>>
>> Police said Bell had a 7-year-old child in the car with her.
>>
>> They were conducting blood tests that would show whether alcohol or
>> drugs were involved."
>>

>> - Peter

>Sounds like attempted murder to me. Maybe a 100 counts. This is worse
>than shooting a gun into a crowd.
>
>Cheers to those cops who drove into her path.

Darwin sometimes uses "bulk transfers." ROTFLMAO.

--

We're all here
because we're not all there.
Old June 4th 07, 02:40 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

Brent P wrote:
>In article >, Arif Khokar wrote:
>> Peter Lawrence wrote:
>>
>>> This time it wasn't some senior citizen, but a 30-year-old woman who
>>> plowed through at 70 MPH.
>>>
>>> The details:
>>>
>>> http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/06/02/ped....ap/index.html

>> Was Russell Weller even charged at the scene when he did practically the
>> same thing?

>Probably not, and if so nothing beyond traffic tickets.
>
>Prediction for this case: driver was on one or more medications for
>'depression'.

Aww, gee, and if the driver had been allowed to kill themselves as
they wanted, instead of being putting them on medication, the
"victims" would have survived.

--

We're all here
because we're not all there.
Old June 4th 07, 06:03 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
John David Galt

Peter Lawrence wrote:
> This time it wasn't some senior citizen, but a 30-year-old woman who
> plowed through at 70 MPH.

Saw it on Fox.

I predict they'll discover she was higher than a kite on something
stronger than alcohol.
Old June 5th 07, 01:41 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
GK

John David Galt wrote:
> Peter Lawrence wrote:
>> This time it wasn't some senior citizen, but a 30-year-old woman who
>> plowed through at 70 MPH.

> Saw it on Fox.
>
> I predict they'll discover she was higher than a kite on something
> stronger than alcohol.

AP News is reporting the driver was smoking crack all day.

GK

Another geezer plows into crowd - Another " stuck accelerator pedal"?? - laura bush - VEHICULAR HOMICIDE Driving 35 August 2nd 06 05:45 PM
Fair weather cops 223rem Driving 48 October 3rd 05 10:31 PM
Do ya think this is a fair headline? BE Driving 0 March 16th 05 07:44 PM
For those who think the RLC process is fair Brent P Driving 41 February 27th 05 07:08 PM
Snow plows for small 4x4's? 4x4 7 January 19th 05 08:45 PM