Dry vs Wet Torque question

Old May 31st 07, 06:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
G. Mack

Default Dry vs Wet Torque question

I was working on my car and a neighbor walked by and ask what I was
torque a certain bolt to. The he asked if it's wet or dry torque. I
said it must be wet cause I just put some anti-seize on the bolt.
Then he tells me that wet torque needs to be much higher than dry
torque. What's the deal with that. I also just changed my plugs last
night and I put anti-seized on those. Should I torque it to
spec(15lbs) or add extra torque cause the bolt is had anti-seize and I
wipe the oil off the threads in the head?

I ended up just tighten it with a straight handler and adding 1/8 turn
instead of torquing it.

Old May 31st 07, 06:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chuck

Right or wrong, good or bad--
There is a difference between wet torque and dry torque.
Usually, a torque spec will specify if it is to be wet.
Practical seat of the pants solution.
Torque readings and specs have a range. I generally tighten to the middle of
a torque spec if dry.
If wet, other than spark plugs in an aluminum head, to the high end of the
torque spec. , assuming that I don't know if the spec. is wet or dry.
Spark plugs in an aluminum head with anti seize are a special case. I
tighten them by feel, based upon the crush washer getting crushed.
(Thread the plugs by hand first.)

If a removed bolt had loctite applied, the residuals should be removed from
the bolt and the threads it goes into. I leave it to the user to figure out
a method that is approprite to the specific application.

"G. Mack" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I was working on my car and a neighbor walked by and ask what I was
> torque a certain bolt to. The he asked if it's wet or dry torque. I
> said it must be wet cause I just put some anti-seize on the bolt.
> Then he tells me that wet torque needs to be much higher than dry
> torque. What's the deal with that. I also just changed my plugs last
> night and I put anti-seized on those. Should I torque it to
> spec(15lbs) or add extra torque cause the bolt is had anti-seize and I
> wipe the oil off the threads in the head?
>
> I ended up just tighten it with a straight handler and adding 1/8 turn
> instead of torquing it.

Question about torque Osgood Z'beard Saturn 2 March 8th 06 08:21 AM
z3 torque curve? Gerard Weatherby BMW 4 August 23rd 05 12:40 PM
Torque Converter Lock question Mike C1 Chrysler 0 July 20th 05 02:44 AM
Lug Nut Torque tony wright Corvette 7 June 4th 05 04:37 PM
Lug Nut Torque Chrysler 300 T Kino Velez Chrysler 8 January 31st 05 06:32 PM