Ignition switch wiring

Old May 31st 07, 05:04 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
noobiedoobie

Default Ignition switch wiring

I need to access the positive (+'ve) ignition wire. Is it easier to
do it from the steering wheel column or straight from the engine
compartment? I will be splicing a wire to it. I would rather get it
straight from the steering wheel colum, but if worse comes to
worse...Which one is it in the engine compartment? The one that
connects to all of the spark plug suppressors? What colour is it
normally?

Old May 31st 07, 06:04 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dave Plowman (News)

In article .com>,
noobiedoobie > wrote:
> I need to access the positive (+'ve) ignition wire. Is it easier to
> do it from the steering wheel column or straight from the engine
> compartment? I will be splicing a wire to it. I would rather get it
> straight from the steering wheel colum, but if worse comes to
> worse...Which one is it in the engine compartment? The one that
> connects to all of the spark plug suppressors? What colour is it
> normally?

The normal colour for the feed to the ignition etc just after the switch
is violet.

--
*Great groups from little icons grow *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old June 6th 07, 07:56 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
noobiedoobie

On May 31, 1:04 pm, "Dave Plowman (News)" >
wrote:
> In article .com>,
> noobiedoobie > wrote:
>
> > I need to access the positive (+'ve) ignition wire. Is it easier to
> > do it from the steering wheel column or straight from the engine
> > compartment? I will be splicing a wire to it. I would rather get it
> > straight from the steering wheel colum, but if worse comes to
> > worse...Which one is it in the engine compartment? The one that
> > connects to all of the spark plug suppressors? What colour is it
> > normally?

> The normal colour for the feed to the ignition etc just after the switch
> is violet.
>
> --
> *Great groups from little icons grow *
>
> Dave Plowman London SW
> To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Thanks very much Dave,
For some reason, my previous reply didn't get posted...anyway let's
try again...
I need to know how to run wires from the engine compartment to the
dashboard and vice versa. How is the wiring routed through the
firewall?

Old June 14th 07, 03:04 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
noobiedoobie

On Jun 6, 2:56 pm, noobiedoobie > wrote:
> On May 31, 1:04 pm, "Dave Plowman (News)" >
> wrote:
>

> > In article .com>,
> > noobiedoobie > wrote:

> > > I need to access the positive (+'ve) ignition wire. Is it easier to
> > > do it from the steering wheel column or straight from the engine
> > > compartment? I will be splicing a wire to it. I would rather get it
> > > straight from the steering wheel colum, but if worse comes to
> > > worse...Which one is it in the engine compartment? The one that
> > > connects to all of the spark plug suppressors? What colour is it
> > > normally?

> > The normal colour for the feed to the ignition etc just after the switch
> > is violet.

> > --
> > *Great groups from little icons grow *

> > Dave Plowman London SW
> > To e-mail, change noise into sound.

> Thanks very much Dave,
> For some reason, my previous reply didn't get posted...anyway let's
> try again...
> I need to know how to run wires from the engine compartment to the
> dashboard and vice versa. How is the wiring routed through the
> firewall?- Hide quoted text -

Hi everyone,
I have opened up the space under my dashboard behind the steering
wheel ('91 535i) and found a way to snake wiring from the cabin to the
engine compartment. The easiest way is along the tube (piggybacking)
that goes from the hood release lever to the hood release latch in the
engine compartment. It appears that a small hole has been drilled
either through the firewall or along the edge of it by BMW at the
factory to allow for this lever line to run from the cabin to the
hood. The hole is wide enough to get wiring in alongside the tube
that holds the hood release lever. Through the hole from the engine
compartment just behind the fusebox and into the lower dashboard
behind the steering wheel mechanism goes the wire. In addition, for
the benefit of others who may need to know: I have identified the
colour schemes for the ignition switch on this car. The red wire is
hot (straight 12 volts from the battery positive), the green wire is
the accessory, and the purple wire is the ignition wiring. I assume
that this purple wire goes to the starter solenoid and from there goes
to the distributor, rotor and spark plugs. If you need a ground
connection under the dash behind the steering wheel, just look for a
bunch of brown wires stranded together and all going to a nut screwed
into a bracket. This is your ground connection, just unscrew the nut
and loop your ground wire around the bolt and screw the nut back on
tight.